how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hgratt

join:2003-12-09
Plano, TX

[Seamonkey] Seamonkey and Apple Website Download Problem

I have 2 machines (WIN 7 64bit) with different versions of Seamonkey (2.0.14 and 2.12.1). Both exhibit the following problem:

If I go to apple.com and try to download itunes, the download page will switch to another page ("thanks for downloading...). If I have not initiated the download via the download gui before this switch occurs, the download fails to start (no warning message, etc). If I can initiate the "save file" choice before the page switch, all proceeds correctly.

If the above is tried in Internet Explorer, the download proceeds correctly even if initiated after the page switch.

Can anybody replicate this behavior with Seamonkey?

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France

No problem here:
»www.apple.com/itunes/download/
I have to click on the blue button to start the download. (Download now).
I use Noscript, and allow Apple.com and akmai.com (server).
The download start and then I am redirected where you go.
Edit! Forgot to mention SeaMonkey 2.12.1

hgratt

Plano, TX

said by Old Computer:

No problem here:
»www.apple.com/itunes/download/
I have to click on the blue button to start the download. (Download now).
I use Noscript, and allow Apple.com and akmai.com (server).
The download start and then I am redirected where you go.

Thanks. It's strange since I see this issuie on 2 different computers with 2 different versions of Seamonkey. Do you at least see where the page switches from the download page to a "thank you" page after a few seconds if you do not initiate the download? If so, what happens if you wait until the switch occurs and then initiate the Seamonkey download?

Thanks,
harvey

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France

When I click on "Download Now" I have the SeaMonkey Warning asking to download an *.exe then the download start and I am redirected just after.

hgratt

Plano, TX

said by Old Computer:

When I click on "Download Now" I have the SeaMonkey Warning asking to download an *.exe then the download start and I am redirected just after.

O.K., if I set my preferences (browser downloads) to "save file" to a specific location, it works as you state.

My original settings were to "always ask me where to save files". Would you mind checking to see if this setting reproduces my results?

Thanks,
Harvey

MVS
Premium
join:2005-04-18

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.12.1 on Windows Vista 64-bit. I have it set to "Always ask me where to save files," and the download works correctly (the same way Old Computer See Profile described, except it prompts me where to save the installer).

hgratt

Plano, TX

said by MVS:

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.12.1 on Windows Vista 64-bit. I have it set to "Always ask me where to save files," and the download works correctly (the same way Old Computer See Profile described, except it prompts me where to save the installer).

This is really strange since I can produce the effect on 2 different machines with 2 different Seamonkey versions - all I have to do is wait until the page switches before I click on "save file". Then the download never takes place - i.e., the save to location window never appears.

Thanks,
Harvey

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to hgratt

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3
Click for full size
Picture #4
Click for full size
Picture #5
I know I'm not running Seamonkey, but the problem happens for me in Waterfox Version 14.0.1. In fact, I can recreate it over and over, just like the OP.

I think what may be going on is people may not be understanding what the OP is doing. Let me try to explain with pictures.

My first picture (Picture #1) shows my settings for how Waterfox will function when I download a file. Like the OP, my settings are the same "always ask me where to save files".

I then go to the download page for iTunes (shown for reference in Picture #2).

Next, I click on the blue "download now button". I am then presented with the download box shown in Picture #3. However, and this is very important, I do nothing with that box. I let it sit there, and wait for the page behind it to be re-directed. The redirected page is shown in Picture #4. The box that I showed in Picture #3 is still present, as I did not click on anything with that box yet.

Once the page redirect is complete, I then click on the "Save File" button in my "Opening iTunes64Setup.exe" message box. When I click the button, the box goes away, and nothing else happens. I am not presented with the dialog box of where I would like to save the file.

However, if I am quick about it, and I click the "Save File" button as soon as the box pop's up (meaning before the page behind it is re-directed), I do get the save file dialog box as shown in Picture #5.

So, there is something going on there, and its not just SeaMonkey. As I said at the beginning of my post, I'm running Waterfox.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to hgratt

I know it has been a while since the OP made this post, but I wanted to give a quick update on it from the Waterfox side.

The issue is still happening in the current (as of this posting) version of Waterfox: Version 16.0.1.

If I try to download ITunes, and wait for the page re-direct to take place, I'm not able to do the download.

And, like the OP and others have said, there is no problem with IE 9 (32 or 64 bit).

I don't have the latest Firefox, or Palemoon installed to see if the problem is there as well. I'm going to take a guess and say that's its a problem in all of them, as they all have the same "base" code.

Question for the OP: Did you ever figure out a reason why it does this, or are you still having the problem as well?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
reply to hgratt

I have Fx 16.0.2 and it acts the same as the OP's description.

hgratt

Plano, TX

I'm the OP. I now have SM 2.13.2 installed but have not checked it out as of yet. I will probably be on that machine later in the day and will report back.

The other machine with SM 2.0.14 still does not work correctly (same problem as before).

Thanks,
Harvey

hgratt

Plano, TX

O.K., the same problem is still present with SM 2.13.2.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to hgratt

Click for full size
I did some more research on this issue, trying to figure out what may be going on.

The above picture is the two errors that waterfox will generate during the process.

It appears that for whatever reason, once the page is re-directed, waterfox (in this case) cannot find the file to download.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to hgratt

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to report the problem is still there in the newest version of Waterfox (18.0.1). Since Waterfox is based on Firefox, I would assume at this point that the newest version of Firefox, Seamonkey, and Palemoon also still have this problem.

From the Error Console in Waterfox, it still appears to be the same problem. Once the page is re-directed, Waterfox cannot find the file to download.

Timestamp: 01/20/2013 9:36:13 AM
Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIHelperAppLauncher.saveToDisk]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/components/nsHelperAppDlg.js :: :: line 474" data: no]
Source File: resource://gre/components/nsHelperAppDlg.js
Line: 474

Is there a way to report this issue to someone, and have them look into it?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner