spc
Search similar:

uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

quote:
ONE in five job-seekers would turn down a job offer if they did not have reasonable access to Facebook at work, a new study shows.

»www.news.com.au/business ··· 76657454

"I'm not addicted. Really!" Sure and denial is just a river in Egypt.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD

Premium Member

that's what cell phones are for

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
If that's what somebody's looking for when they're looking for a job I pity them! That shouldn't even be a consideration, you're being hired to work doing things that benefit the company, not to run your social life! Even bringing that up during the course of a job interview was certainly raise a red flag in my opinion.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

If that's what somebody's looking for when they're looking for a job I pity them!

Yup.
quote:
I want my MTV Facebook.
--Dire Straits (1985) FB users (2012)

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Good luck in finding a job then. :P

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

So that's the real reason unemployment is above 8% in the US

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
People with attitudes like that aren't going to be good employees anyway. If I'm a company, I immediately make that a rule to weed out the riff raff.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Things haven't changed in the past year
»What's more important to you?

"Would you prefer Facebook access at work more than you would a raise?” If you’re what constitutes a young professional, there’s a 45 percent chance that you would choose Facebook

The report even states that more than half of the 1,400 college students — age 18 to 23 — that they surveyed in addition to the young professional group would consider not taking a job if the company had a policy banning Facebook.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to StuartMW

to StuartMW
With the proliferation of smartphones and especially now, tablets, this should be a non-issue.

If you absolutely MUST have facebook, bring your tablet in and use your own 3G/4G connection to interact with it.

You never want to get caught with Facebook on your employer supplied computer when they walk in the door. Unless of course the reason they aren't blocking it already is because the boss uses it too...

- FM

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc

Premium Member

said by FutureMon:

...You never want to get caught with Facebook on your employer supplied computer when they walk in the door. Unless of course the reason they aren't blocking it already is because the boss uses it too...

- FM

A fixed IP and an exception rule solves that problem. No reason for the boss to share.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

4 recommendations

chrisretusn to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Before Facebook, you worked. With Facebook you Facebook. Productivity = Zero.

Don't bother trying to work for me, you will be required to work. No Facebook allowed.

boognish
Premium Member
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA

boognish to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
Boss computers bypass a proxy and can get on facebook if they want here were most everyone else can not.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 edit

EUS

Premium Member

Yup, here we have two groups, one where nothing is blocked (executive group), and the other where people can barely surf, with restrictions lifted during the lunch hr, and after 5pm.
The bosses are in the "executive group".
Thing is, this was enacted after many machines had caught a virus, and this was to mitigate further, or new infections. The funny part is that most of the infected machines were exec's machines, who still have free reign.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Indeed it is my friend!
05641623 (banned)
join:2012-09-17
North Coast

1 edit

05641623 (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

said by StuartMW:

So that's the real reason unemployment is above 8% in the US

That, and a lot are sitting on sitting on their bums waiting for the perfect job, while someone more deserving else gets the great job. I say go back to 26 weeks, the REAL unemployment rate would drop to post WW2 levels.
I have NEVER had Facebook access at work and would'nt ever see it as a reason to decline a job.

Hope these people love the access they get in their box under a bridge.
neonturbo
join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI

neonturbo to StuartMW

to StuartMW
We were using Facebook at work for legitimate work purposes. Boss says no more FB (and other sites) at work, you will be fired. They do not block anything, but will fire you for doing it.

They will fire you for using FB, and other "non work related" websites during your breaks and lunch hour. This policy applies even on your own computer if it is using the company network.

Facebook is not always a time waster, it is how many young people communicate nowadays. This has totally thrown a wrench into our outreach and promotional efforts. I guess printing thousands of fliers, save the date cards, and other similar things and having to mail ($$) them is better than posting on FB for everyone to see. Great use of taxpayer money.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

said by neonturbo:

using the company network.

05641623 (banned)
join:2012-09-17
North Coast

05641623 (banned) to neonturbo

to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

Facebook is not always a time waster, it is how many young people communicate nowadays. This has totally thrown a wrench into our outreach and promotional efforts.

How much "outreach" are you doing for those those that have access to Facebook, Internet addiction? I say cold turkey in a jail cell would fix that.

Just another crap excuse to keep wasting time, don't like it, quit, there are thousands that don't need their daily fix.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to neonturbo

Premium Member

to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

... This has totally thrown a wrench into our outreach and promotional efforts. I guess printing thousands of fliers, save the date cards, and other similar things and having to mail ($$) them is better than posting on FB for everyone to see. ...

What did your boss say when you put this justification to him/her?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to neonturbo

Premium Member

to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

Great use of taxpayer money.

It is, actually. FB is so full of sec holes, that you may spend thousands of man hours cleaning the shit from GOVERNMENT computers. Never mind any breaches to data.

Your boss is a smart man. That's why he's the boss.

You need to get over it. You do not have a right to use a Gov computer for personal, or a company network for personal while being paid. Period.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

1 edit

3 recommendations

vaxvms to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
When I'm at work I'm using MY computer (paid for with company $). When the disk gets full of MY videos and music and pictures the company MUST get ME a bigger disk for MY computer. And the company MUST let me surf anywhere I want to on company time using company equipment and network connections. And if any virus or malware gets onto MY computer the company MUST remove it at from MY computer at MY convenience .

Pardon me while I up chuck my dinner.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Facebook at work??? Seriously? Lol....
I wonder how "young people" managed to communicate in all the years before Facebook.

FB does not belong on the job, on company time. Period.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to neonturbo

Anon

to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

This has totally thrown a wrench into our outreach and promotional efforts. I guess printing thousands of fliers, save the date cards, and other similar things and having to mail ($$) them is better than posting on FB for everyone to see. Great use of taxpayer money.

About 50% of the US is on not Facebook. Were you not planning to "outreach" to them?

Personally, I'd be annoyed to be paying people with tax dollars to be on Facebook. I'd be even more annoyed if a government entity told people that in order to find the info they need, they'd have to sign up for Facebook.

Government is for everyone, not just the population of Facebook.

-Jim
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
Some folks around here may recall this similiar thread a while back:

»Marine Corps banning Facebook, Twitter and MySpace

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Good for them that they did. It's work, not play and people need to differentiate that. You're getting paid. To work.

The sec breaches as we all know are staggering when it's allowed. Shut it down.

I don't want my info to be hacked because some butt-head needs to know their friend is taking a dump!

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven to neonturbo

Premium Member

to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

They will fire you for using FB, and other "non work related" websites during your breaks and lunch hour.

That's pretty strict...

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Welcome to the real world.
neonturbo
join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI

neonturbo to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
Not the government, thanks for jumping to a conclusion.
neonturbo

neonturbo to JALevinworth

to JALevinworth
We are a school, and probably 90% of our audience is people between 18-25. This is the most efficient and inexpensive way to reach a large percentage of people. We do use mail for certain things, but at close to $1 each that can get expensive for simple non-legal correspondence.
neonturbo

neonturbo to La Luna

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Facebook at work??? Seriously? Lol....
I wonder how "young people" managed to communicate in all the years before Facebook.

FB does not belong on the job, on company time. Period.

I actually don't have a personal Facebook, so you don't have to worry about me. I don't like FB, but it is one common form of communication like Twitter, email, etc.

I am sure nobody here has gone onto DSLR while at work. I am also positive that nobody here has checked their personal email at work. I also doubt anyone here has wasted time making personal phone calls. This is the same thing as FB as far as I am concerned, and I agree that it is all wasting time on the company dime.

To me the larger generic issue is that companies are dictating what we can and cannot do with our time off the clock. I think that is reflected in the survey that started this thread. As an example, my schedule dictates I am stuck in our building for 12 hours a day, even though I am only on the clock 9-10 hours. I guess playing solitaire for those two hours is better than reading some silly website like this. I bet many people cannot distinguish between angry birds on their phone at lunchtime VS facebook on their computer at lunchtime.