Search similar:

uniqs

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

Sorry, I missed your links supplied earlier in this thread.

I should have known you would be on top of the issue.

It has been an interesting discussion!

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

I liked your link on the wall street speculation..but I really think facebook is in trouble with their current business model.. but that's another story...just don't run out and buy the stock... Have a great evening buddy.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to Exidor

Premium Member

to Exidor
I try to not do business with any business that thinks their Facebook page is where I should go to communicate with them. That is the sign of either a very ignorant business or one that spits on personal privacy. Either way, why should I do business with such an either (in the first instance) clueless business or (in the second instance) such a dangerous business?

I remember what the internet was originally intended to be. I find it immeasurably sad, and also scary, what it has morphed into through the behind the scenes manipulation of mostly the younger crowd, which is naive, but also some older folks who stand to get rich from further enslaving our people and spitting on all who have given their lives for what no longer exists in this nation.

I hope to see a lot of businesses forsake Facebook when they have to start paying for tools or whatever there. I'd like to be able to communicate with businesses that I have done business with that did not require that I have a Facebook account when I did business with them but do require it now. It is a frustrating situation. How do I know when I do business with a company that currently has a variety of contact means ...particularly contact for feedback or help ...that they won't soon abandon all means of contact except Facebook? It's frightening.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I have a Facebook page. I log into it once in a while, maybe only twice a month.

OTOH, most everything I know about security--which helped me get my current job--I learned either here or because of reading something here and going on to research it myself.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I try to not do business with any business that thinks their Facebook page is where I should go to communicate with them. ...

+1

All our local TV/Radio stations and many businesses now want their audience/customers to "like" them on Facebook and post stuff to their pages to communicate with them. I have no intention of doing either.

The same goes with Twitter. I do have a Twitter account out there somewhere, but haven't logged into it for so long I don't remember the password or email account I used to access it.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
In addition many companies, that have some kind of account (support forum etc), want you to use a FB/Twitter/other account to login.

Um, no.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
So those one in five will presumably end up working for a company with facebook access.
That makes for a strong argument against allowing access.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Snowy:

So those one in five will presumably end up working for a company with facebook access.

Or unemployed.

My point in starting this thread was to illustrate an "entitlement mentality".

Some employers may, as a perk, allow their employees (or a subset) to access Facebook or other sites. However that is different from expecting it. Of course people are free to accept or reject any employer if they don't like the conditions. To me FB (or other) access is optional but obviously to many it's a requirement.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I seem to recall previous discussions on this board on how some employers were using Facebook as part of the hiring process.

e.g. Asking potential employees why, if not, they did not have a Facebook account or even demanding the potential employee reveal their Facebook account information.

In that context, could the employee not reasonably expect to be able to use their Facebook account while at work, if the employer expects the employee to have a Facebook account just to be hired?

Having said that, I don't use Facebook at work...or at home for that matter...since I don't have a Facebook account.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

2 wrongs != right

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Exidor

Premium Member

to Exidor
IIRC that was a prison (or even the whole Department of Corrections) in... I think it was Maryland. They were asking for the actual account details.

I believe I commented in that thread that were I hiring someone, I probably wouldn't ask. If I did though, and they handed over their login, I'd strike that candidate from the list.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to Exidor

to Exidor
said by Exidor:

I seem to recall previous discussions on this board on how some employers were using Facebook as part of the hiring process.

e.g. Asking potential employees why, if not, they did not have a Facebook account or even demanding the potential employee reveal their Facebook account information.

In that context, could the employee not reasonably expect to be able to use their Facebook account while at work, if the employer expects the employee to have a Facebook account just to be hired?

Having said that, I don't use Facebook at work...or at home for that matter...since I don't have a Facebook account.

Came here to make exactly this point! In fact, I was just reading about someone who says they were told they wouldn't even be considered for employment if they claimed not to have a Facebook account (which they in fact do not). And I've seen other stuff lately where various people are claiming that if you try to avoid Facebook (as I do), then you have serious anti-social personality tendencies and are therefore a bad potential hire, or some such nonsense. I, for one, say that this just goes to show you how far HR's hiring practices have gone into the toilet - not that they were ever that great to begin with!

So, live by the sword, die by the sword!
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I remember what the internet was originally intended to be.

A way for computer scientists to share resources?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I remember what the internet was originally intended to be.

A DARPA research project?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

And I've seen other stuff lately where various people are claiming that if you try to avoid Facebook (as I do), then you have serious anti-social personality tendencies and are therefore a bad potential hire, or some such nonsense.

So, live by the sword, die by the sword!

Not really. I expect such places, if they truly exist, are marketing based and not the majority of work places. The majority of work places are doing everything in their power to evaluate or simply block non-essential web activity and it's pretty much a common practice in this day and age to specifically block Facebook. Our government has done it, large corporations are doing it and small businesses are starting to get into the game now that the hardware to do so is accessible to them.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

said by urbanriot:

Not really. I expect such places, if they truly exist, are marketing based and not the majority of work places. The majority of work places are doing everything in their power to evaluate or simply block non-essential web activity and it's pretty much a common practice in this day and age to specifically block Facebook. Our government has done it, large corporations are doing it and small businesses are starting to get into the game now that the hardware to do so is accessible to them.

I have no trouble at all believing such stories, based on what I've seen and read over the past couple of years. With so many people fighting for so few jobs these days, HR seems to think that they have a right to know everything about your personal life, and what better way to track your behavior than by your Facebook account? And if you don't have one, or refuse to admit to having one, then they aren't interested in hiring you. After all, you could be hiding something nefarious from them, and we can't have that, now can we?

I wasn't meaning to imply that they would expect you to use Facebook at work, unless maybe you were in marketing or something. Only that if they insisted you must have it, or if you give them your password or even friend them or whatever, then they can't really complain about your using it at work on occasion, now can they?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I think BroadbandReports is a business

»www.facebook.com/Broadba ··· dReports

»twitter.com/DSLReports

...you can even login with twitter.. as I recall that was one of the Social Media in the study.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
One in five job-seekers are half assing their job seeking.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Should ask men only, you'll find nobody uses facebook then.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to scross

Premium Member

to scross
Perhaps this is a 21st century analog of the way people have tended to view hermits and recluses in the past. Not having a Facebook account may be similar to holing up alone in a house or a cabin, as in the case of the Unabomber, for example. A way around this might be to have a Facebook and/or Twitter account, but just not use it all that much. I guess it's becoming more difficult to keep a low profile.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Here's a challenge, using a fake name as this is just an experiment, see what you get when you create a page, and then say absolutely nothing about yourself and not pick a single thing you like, and see the result.

It took a lot of effort to find the settings in my case to turn off the barrage of garbage that gets directed at the account all because you made the mistake of saying anything about oneself and what you liked.

And if you have any friends, you get barraged by all of their activity (which is a lot if they also haven't been brutally selective).

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

Dunno who you're following. Both males and females yak up plenty of bullcrap on Facebook. It's especially annoying during an election year. Every time I check my news feed, it's like Fox News & MSNBC had a massive dueling banjos face off.
Thaler

Thaler to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

Not having a Facebook account may be similar to holing up alone in a house or a cabin, as in the case of the Unabomber, for example.

I really would hate to think that having a Facebook account is a metric of a person's sanity. If anything, I've seen Facebook be the spawning grounds of a lot of bullcrap.

"Your honor, the defendant would like to plead not guilty by reason of insanity. He did not have a Facebook account. I rest my case."

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

said by Metatron2008:

Dunno who you're following. Both males and females yak up plenty of bullcrap on Facebook. It's especially annoying during an election year. Every time I check my news feed, it's like Fox News & MSNBC had a massive dueling banjos face off.

In a work environment. I've seen countless women spend hours on facebook at work. Not so much with men.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Same. It's a pretty popular site to see open in the background while people talk opinions, plans, or just baloney. Facebook games are also a popular choice.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to scross

Anon

to scross
said by scross:

said by Exidor:

[snip]

Came here to make exactly this point!
[snip]

Keep in mind that at any company or organization, HR hiring policies does not equal Corporate/IT end user policy. They have totally different missions and are not required to be compatible (and for most, the left hand wouldn't even care what the right hand is doing anyway).

-Jim