share rss forum feed

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Exidor

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

IIRC that was a prison (or even the whole Department of Corrections) in... I think it was Maryland. They were asking for the actual account details.

I believe I commented in that thread that were I hiring someone, I probably wouldn't ask. If I did though, and they handed over their login, I'd strike that candidate from the list.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Exidor

said by Exidor:

I seem to recall previous discussions on this board on how some employers were using Facebook as part of the hiring process.

e.g. Asking potential employees why, if not, they did not have a Facebook account or even demanding the potential employee reveal their Facebook account information.

In that context, could the employee not reasonably expect to be able to use their Facebook account while at work, if the employer expects the employee to have a Facebook account just to be hired?

Having said that, I don't use Facebook at work...or at home for that matter...since I don't have a Facebook account.

Came here to make exactly this point! In fact, I was just reading about someone who says they were told they wouldn't even be considered for employment if they claimed not to have a Facebook account (which they in fact do not). And I've seen other stuff lately where various people are claiming that if you try to avoid Facebook (as I do), then you have serious anti-social personality tendencies and are therefore a bad potential hire, or some such nonsense. I, for one, say that this just goes to show you how far HR's hiring practices have gone into the toilet - not that they were ever that great to begin with!

So, live by the sword, die by the sword!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I remember what the internet was originally intended to be.

A way for computer scientists to share resources?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Mele20:

I remember what the internet was originally intended to be.

A DARPA research project?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to scross

said by scross:

And I've seen other stuff lately where various people are claiming that if you try to avoid Facebook (as I do), then you have serious anti-social personality tendencies and are therefore a bad potential hire, or some such nonsense.

So, live by the sword, die by the sword!

Not really. I expect such places, if they truly exist, are marketing based and not the majority of work places. The majority of work places are doing everything in their power to evaluate or simply block non-essential web activity and it's pretty much a common practice in this day and age to specifically block Facebook. Our government has done it, large corporations are doing it and small businesses are starting to get into the game now that the hardware to do so is accessible to them.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

said by urbanriot:

Not really. I expect such places, if they truly exist, are marketing based and not the majority of work places. The majority of work places are doing everything in their power to evaluate or simply block non-essential web activity and it's pretty much a common practice in this day and age to specifically block Facebook. Our government has done it, large corporations are doing it and small businesses are starting to get into the game now that the hardware to do so is accessible to them.

I have no trouble at all believing such stories, based on what I've seen and read over the past couple of years. With so many people fighting for so few jobs these days, HR seems to think that they have a right to know everything about your personal life, and what better way to track your behavior than by your Facebook account? And if you don't have one, or refuse to admit to having one, then they aren't interested in hiring you. After all, you could be hiding something nefarious from them, and we can't have that, now can we?

I wasn't meaning to imply that they would expect you to use Facebook at work, unless maybe you were in marketing or something. Only that if they insisted you must have it, or if you give them your password or even friend them or whatever, then they can't really complain about your using it at work on occasion, now can they?

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Mele20

I think BroadbandReports is a business

»www.facebook.com/BroadbandReports

»twitter.com/DSLReports

...you can even login with twitter.. as I recall that was one of the Social Media in the study.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to StuartMW

One in five job-seekers are half assing their job seeking.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Should ask men only, you'll find nobody uses facebook then.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to scross

Perhaps this is a 21st century analog of the way people have tended to view hermits and recluses in the past. Not having a Facebook account may be similar to holing up alone in a house or a cabin, as in the case of the Unabomber, for example. A way around this might be to have a Facebook and/or Twitter account, but just not use it all that much. I guess it's becoming more difficult to keep a low profile.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to StuartMW

Here's a challenge, using a fake name as this is just an experiment, see what you get when you create a page, and then say absolutely nothing about yourself and not pick a single thing you like, and see the result.

It took a lot of effort to find the settings in my case to turn off the barrage of garbage that gets directed at the account all because you made the mistake of saying anything about oneself and what you liked.

And if you have any friends, you get barraged by all of their activity (which is a lot if they also haven't been brutally selective).

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

Dunno who you're following. Both males and females yak up plenty of bullcrap on Facebook. It's especially annoying during an election year. Every time I check my news feed, it's like Fox News & MSNBC had a massive dueling banjos face off.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to rcdailey

said by rcdailey:

Not having a Facebook account may be similar to holing up alone in a house or a cabin, as in the case of the Unabomber, for example.

I really would hate to think that having a Facebook account is a metric of a person's sanity. If anything, I've seen Facebook be the spawning grounds of a lot of bullcrap.

"Your honor, the defendant would like to plead not guilty by reason of insanity. He did not have a Facebook account. I rest my case."

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

said by Metatron2008:

Dunno who you're following. Both males and females yak up plenty of bullcrap on Facebook. It's especially annoying during an election year. Every time I check my news feed, it's like Fox News & MSNBC had a massive dueling banjos face off.

In a work environment. I've seen countless women spend hours on facebook at work. Not so much with men.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Same. It's a pretty popular site to see open in the background while people talk opinions, plans, or just baloney. Facebook games are also a popular choice.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to scross

said by scross:

said by Exidor:

I seem to recall previous discussions on this board on how some employers were using Facebook as part of the hiring process.
[snip]

Came here to make exactly this point!
[snip]

Keep in mind that at any company or organization, HR hiring policies does not equal Corporate/IT end user policy. They have totally different missions and are not required to be compatible (and for most, the left hand wouldn't even care what the right hand is doing anyway).

-Jim