join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to StuartMW

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

When I'm at work I'm using MY computer (paid for with company $). When the disk gets full of MY videos and music and pictures the company MUST get ME a bigger disk for MY computer. And the company MUST let me surf anywhere I want to on company time using company equipment and network connections. And if any virus or malware gets onto MY computer the company MUST remove it at from MY computer at MY convenience .

Pardon me while I up chuck my dinner.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
Facebook at work??? Seriously? Lol....
I wonder how "young people" managed to communicate in all the years before Facebook.

FB does not belong on the job, on company time. Period.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

This has totally thrown a wrench into our outreach and promotional efforts. I guess printing thousands of fliers, save the date cards, and other similar things and having to mail ($$) them is better than posting on FB for everyone to see. Great use of taxpayer money.

About 50% of the US is on not Facebook. Were you not planning to "outreach" to them?

Personally, I'd be annoyed to be paying people with tax dollars to be on Facebook. I'd be even more annoyed if a government entity told people that in order to find the info they need, they'd have to sign up for Facebook.

Government is for everyone, not just the population of Facebook.

-Jim

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA
kudos:1
reply to Juggernaut
Some folks around here may recall this similiar thread a while back:

»Marine Corps banning Facebook, Twitter and MySpace
--
The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Good for them that they did. It's work, not play and people need to differentiate that. You're getting paid. To work.

The sec breaches as we all know are staggering when it's allowed. Shut it down.

I don't want my info to be hacked because some butt-head needs to know their friend is taking a dump!
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

They will fire you for using FB, and other "non work related" websites during your breaks and lunch hour.

That's pretty strict...

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Welcome to the real world.

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to Juggernaut
Not the government, thanks for jumping to a conclusion.

neonturbo

Lansing, MI
reply to JALevinworth
We are a school, and probably 90% of our audience is people between 18-25. This is the most efficient and inexpensive way to reach a large percentage of people. We do use mail for certain things, but at close to $1 each that can get expensive for simple non-legal correspondence.

neonturbo

Lansing, MI
reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Facebook at work??? Seriously? Lol....
I wonder how "young people" managed to communicate in all the years before Facebook.

FB does not belong on the job, on company time. Period.

I actually don't have a personal Facebook, so you don't have to worry about me. I don't like FB, but it is one common form of communication like Twitter, email, etc.

I am sure nobody here has gone onto DSLR while at work. I am also positive that nobody here has checked their personal email at work. I also doubt anyone here has wasted time making personal phone calls. This is the same thing as FB as far as I am concerned, and I agree that it is all wasting time on the company dime.

To me the larger generic issue is that companies are dictating what we can and cannot do with our time off the clock. I think that is reflected in the survey that started this thread. As an example, my schedule dictates I am stuck in our building for 12 hours a day, even though I am only on the clock 9-10 hours. I guess playing solitaire for those two hours is better than reading some silly website like this. I bet many people cannot distinguish between angry birds on their phone at lunchtime VS facebook on their computer at lunchtime.

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to StuartMW
This thread has gotten me into an uproar, so please 'like me' on "I want to work on my own terms and kiss my a** if you don't like it."

Become a part of 'Generation Unemployed'!! Viva la resistance!
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to StuartMW
This is why I will not work for a company that allows Facebook. I don't want to be the one pulling my weight and all the other's becasue they are too busy posting pictures of cats to facebook.

I will gladly do others work if I get their pay too!

bookOfFaces

@pacbell.net
Facebook in many areas of most companies are nothing but complete time wasters.

When my company decided to crackdown on "free internet surfing" including facebook to all employees, productivity rose enough to reduce our customer service department from 5 to 2. Not to mention the reduction in viruses and malware that would routinely infect the computer.

Work is for work. If there is a business need for it, it can be allowed. Letting the general worker have free reign is just stupid.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
While I wouldn't refuse a job because there was no Facebook access, I wouldn't hesitate to ask a prospective employer what their internet restrictions are.

When I'm pulling 60 and 80 hour weeks and having to work different shifts to play nice with production schedules, I expect a little leeway with regards to internet access to conduct a little personal business on occasion.

Facebook can be a communications tool, and can be a very handy one at that. I've got several friends on there who are vendors of ours and being able to reach out to them, quickly through FB has been helpful. But I use my personal laptop and data card for that. And the bosses know it.

Also, unless a shop has really put hard core filtering into place, they're not going to be watching port 443. You can https to Facebook without much trouble in those cases.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW
It makes sense if you work for someone else.

The awful 2% raise you're going to get from being a good employee is going to beat out the grade change you'll get from being a good friend with someone who sends you a lead.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Things haven't changed in the past year
»What's more important to you?

"Would you prefer Facebook access at work more than you would a raise?” If you’re what constitutes a young professional, there’s a 45 percent chance that you would choose Facebook

The report even states that more than half of the 1,400 college students — age 18 to 23 — that they surveyed in addition to the young professional group would consider not taking a job if the company had a policy banning Facebook.

This is why most companies don't hire college graduates. Many of them are immature, lazy, self-centered, and unreliable. According to some stats I read recently, 50% of them are either unemployed or underemployed.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

We are a school, and probably 90% of our audience is people between 18-25.

Maybe I am not understanding something, but how is that "tax payer money" then (school/18-25 year olds)? Isn't it tuition that funds you? Yes, some students get grants (which are a small fraction of total tuition) but that's between the student and the government to pay for school. How that's allocated is not your say. Aside from that, the best use of tuition dollars at your institution is determined by the administration above you. Is there something I am missing?

said by neonturbo:

This is the most efficient and inexpensive way to reach a large percentage of people. We do use mail for certain things, but at close to $1 each that can get expensive for simple non-legal correspondence.

No, it's not a large percentage of people. It leaves out half the population. I get in your world *everyone* is on facebook - but you are not a school specifically for facebook users. There is no way to tell which of your audience is on facebook or not. You can't just send out printed material to everyone else who isn't on facebook. You can do it in addition to, but you still needing to send out mailings to everyone.

I am going to say this again - No entity (especially Government or Institution) should require a Facebook account in order to gain information not found elsewhere. It's exclusionary to those who 1) want a facebook account which is not open to the public/web and also facebook property, and 2) have the money to pay for an ISP and device to access it on, or in lieu free transport to a public library that's open 24 hours.

-Jim
2012-09-19 13:13:21

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to StuartMW
Just don't block DSL/Broadband Reports.

join:2012-09-17
North Coast
reply to Maven
said by Maven:

said by neonturbo:

They will fire you for using FB, and other "non work related" websites during your breaks and lunch hour.

That's pretty strict...

ALL companies should have a "computer use" section in their Personnel Policies Manual, it would detail what you can and can't do in regards to company computers and networks, if you use your computer but use company resources you must follow these policies too, and the definition of "company resources" is VERY explicit, it includes office space, electricity, desks, networks, and time you are "at work", if they do not want you ON the computer EVER while at work, they can say that.

The company can state failure to follow the rules can result in termination even after the first violation.

There is no "ignorance of the law" defense allowed, it is a given everyone has read and understands their company's Personal Policies Manual.

AricBrown

join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

quote:
ONE in five job-seekers would turn down a job offer if they did not have reasonable access to Facebook at work, a new study shows.

»www.news.com.au/business/worklif···76657454

Wow guess they can't work at my company. I am one of a few that have internet access and I still can't get facebook.

AricBrown

join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to 05641623
said by 05641623:

said by Maven:

said by neonturbo:

That's pretty strict...

ALL companies should have a "computer use" section in their Personnel Policies Manual, it would detail what you can and can't do in regards to company computers and networks, if you use your computer but use company resources you must follow these policies too, and the definition of "company resources" is VERY explicit, it includes office space, electricity, desks, networks, and time you are "at work", if they do not want you ON the computer EVER while at work, they can say that.

The company can state failure to follow the rules can result in termination even after the first violation.

There is no "ignorance of the law" defense allowed, it is a given everyone has read and understands their company's Personal Policies Manual.

Thats my work.. 120,000 people and no one get facebook or webmail of any kind. I get access to the internet but it blocks a lot of stuff as "Not work related"

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
reply to StuartMW
I wonder how many people have quit their job because FB access was denied?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW
Posted at 10:58. Are you unemployed?

Yeah, I know, I don't know what timezone you're in; it's 10:58 my-time. But my point is that I bet at least some of these people whining about facebook are posting from work. But that's somehow different, right?

What the article doesn't say is whether the people who "turn down a job offer" are no-hopers who are going to remain unemployed, or in-demand people who get to choose their terms. Everything else being equal, I probably wouldn't choose a job at some place that had rules like "no non-biz internet access". Not because I am an addict, but because that speaks of measuring the wrong things: I expect to be measured on results.

(I don't have a facebook account though).

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to StuartMW
peps on my facebook post with smartphones all the time..especially photos.

»www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/···sic.html

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to dave
said by dave:

Posted at 10:58. Are you unemployed?

Yeah, I know, I don't know what timezone you're in; it's 10:58 my-time. But my point is that I bet at least some of these people whining about facebook are posting from work. But that's somehow different, right?

It was his patriotic duty to take the day off ..maybe even the whole week..ok maybe to play some golf.

»news.yahoo.com/photo-day-caption···ics.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
said by Name Game:

ok maybe to play some golf.

Actually a few hours after posting I went on a hike in the mountains because it was beautiful fall day. The colors were great. I don't have a smartphone but it wouldn't have mattered because there's no cell signal where I went. The real world makes a nice break sometimes
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Freak! Get back on the interwebz! Now!

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW
You have a phone like me

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Get back on the interwebz!

Can't say I missed the interwebz while walking up 10-15% grades with my heart rate at 160bpm (it was being measured). I was thinking about bears/mountain lions (or rather what I'd do if I came across one)
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

kubus

join:2000-12-22
Irwin, PA

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
Forgetting one thing... some of us work in media... social media. FB and the likes are bread and butter.