uniqs
share rss forum feed

AricBrown

join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to 05641623

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

said by 05641623:

said by Maven:

said by neonturbo:

They will fire you for using FB, and other "non work related" websites during your breaks and lunch hour.

That's pretty strict...

ALL companies should have a "computer use" section in their Personnel Policies Manual, it would detail what you can and can't do in regards to company computers and networks, if you use your computer but use company resources you must follow these policies too, and the definition of "company resources" is VERY explicit, it includes office space, electricity, desks, networks, and time you are "at work", if they do not want you ON the computer EVER while at work, they can say that.

The company can state failure to follow the rules can result in termination even after the first violation.

There is no "ignorance of the law" defense allowed, it is a given everyone has read and understands their company's Personal Policies Manual.

Thats my work.. 120,000 people and no one get facebook or webmail of any kind. I get access to the internet but it blocks a lot of stuff as "Not work related"

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to StuartMW

I wonder how many people have quit their job because FB access was denied?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW

Posted at 10:58. Are you unemployed?

Yeah, I know, I don't know what timezone you're in; it's 10:58 my-time. But my point is that I bet at least some of these people whining about facebook are posting from work. But that's somehow different, right?

What the article doesn't say is whether the people who "turn down a job offer" are no-hopers who are going to remain unemployed, or in-demand people who get to choose their terms. Everything else being equal, I probably wouldn't choose a job at some place that had rules like "no non-biz internet access". Not because I am an addict, but because that speaks of measuring the wrong things: I expect to be measured on results.

(I don't have a facebook account though).

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to StuartMW

peps on my facebook post with smartphones all the time..especially photos.

»www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/···sic.html

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to dave

said by dave:

Posted at 10:58. Are you unemployed?

Yeah, I know, I don't know what timezone you're in; it's 10:58 my-time. But my point is that I bet at least some of these people whining about facebook are posting from work. But that's somehow different, right?

It was his patriotic duty to take the day off ..maybe even the whole week..ok maybe to play some golf.

»news.yahoo.com/photo-day-caption···ics.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Name Game:

ok maybe to play some golf.

Actually a few hours after posting I went on a hike in the mountains because it was beautiful fall day. The colors were great. I don't have a smartphone but it wouldn't have mattered because there's no cell signal where I went. The real world makes a nice break sometimes
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Freak! Get back on the interwebz! Now!

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW

You have a phone like me

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Get back on the interwebz!

Can't say I missed the interwebz while walking up 10-15% grades with my heart rate at 160bpm (it was being measured). I was thinking about bears/mountain lions (or rather what I'd do if I came across one)
--

kubus

join:2000-12-22
Irwin, PA

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

Forgetting one thing... some of us work in media... social media. FB and the likes are bread and butter.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW

Click for full size
Then all you need is a gps for basecamp.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Name Game:

Then all you need is a gps for basecamp.

I was carrying one It was measuring my heart rate among other things.
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Figured that...of course it also gives you info on the latest Microsoft updates.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Name Game:

...of course it also gives you info on the latest Microsoft updates.

Not a lot of use when the trail dead-ends in a 400ft drop. Knowing about the latest IE patch doesn't really help with that...
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

said by StuartMW:

Not a lot of use when the trail dead-ends in a 400ft drop. Knowing about the latest IE patch doesn't really help with that...

That's not basecamp, that's base-jumping!
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Juggernaut:

...that's base-jumping!

Only if I'd jumped. In reality it was more like "this paper and GPS map are obviously wrong. Must've been hacked by Anonymous. Bastards!"
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to dave

said by dave:

But my point is that I bet at least some of these people whining about facebook are posting from work. But that's somehow different, right?

Well kinda yeah. There are a number of technoweenies that come here looking for and offering technical help for job related issues, like some dave See Profile guy . Posting in a thread like this isn't job related but the forum is. And the number of members/visitors here is MUCH smaller than Facebook so making any kind of comparison isn't fair.
I don't have a Facebook account but the people I talk to about their Facebook activity, technology inclined as well as technology challenged, is, for the most part, posting pics of vacations and their cute cat and commenting on those same pics.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by Name Game:

...of course it also gives you info on the latest Microsoft updates.

Get an ipad and we will give you updates and briefs.

»www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012···Meetings
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to StuartMW

said by Name Game:

Jump from the cliff before you do that!

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to vaxvms

too much facebook is for the birds

»www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/···urs.html

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

said by Name Game:

Jump from the cliff before you do that!

That also happens sometimes with trap street
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_street

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to ROCINANTE

Is that so? Lazy? Maybe unemployed, but lazy? I work harder than most people do in a REAL job. People with REAL jobs get BREAKS. People like me DO NOT. So piss off and take your generalizations elsewhere.

I like how many of you make the implication that having access to Facebook automatically makes you unproductive. That's the fallacy, and completely incorrect. What about reddit? Or any other X that makes someone unproductive.

If we really want to get down to the nitty gritty, how about a 15 minute lunch? How about no breaks? I'm sure some of you would bitch and moan about that. Sure, it breaks labor laws, but some of you are pathetic in your "bandwagon" hate for Facebook. It's not secure. I get that. I can see why an employer would block said site. But unproductivity? I guess it's just the new trend to hate Facebook.

Some of you need to get off your high horse and realize that not all of us are lazy, and we are DEFINITELY not beneath you. I don't care what you do for a living, we are the same and your career shouldn't become your identity. But no, we are all lazy ingrates who don't know how to make do for ourselves.
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Glad you got that off your chest.. On average, how many games did you have to simulate before reaching a pat flush?

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
reply to Name Game

How do I get a job as a "researcher"?
--
i before e, except after c... weird?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

too much facebook is for the birds

quote:
Compulsive Woodpecker: Can't resist reading email posts at all hours of the day and night.

That sounds strangely familiar...
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

Glad you got that off your chest..

Sounds to me like someone needs a break...
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

How do I get a job as a "researcher"?

You apply for a gummint grant then wait for that check for $10 million.
--

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

There sure is a lot of signs out there these days how truly little people truly wish to truly need to actually work, when ostensibly at work.

Anyone able to Facebook at work is either making too much money already and/or living in a society a bit too soft and thus is not sufficiently worried about being unemployed at all, or simply doesn't understand the meaning of the term 'work'.

Shit the only reason I am on the internet at all, is disability told me to piss off about my plans to be running a business.

Nothing personal guys, but I wish I had never met any of you I'd rather be covered in sawdust busy making money and being an employer, and of course, there wouldn't even be internet access on my factory floor. Your cell phones and whatever would be locked in your locker in the lunch room. You'd be busy making my company's furniture if you were an employee of mine that's for sure.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

The rate employers are going today, You may not want to have a Facebook at all when you apply. Considering some now demand your social media logins(which actually giving would violate the TOS of most social sites).
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
reply to Name Game

Something like ~500 games. For two players, ~20,000 games. For 5? Yea. Lol