StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.278 is out.

said by antdude:

You need a job. ;p

As long as Adobe/Oracle/Microsoft keep releasing patches he already has one
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to antdude
I am sure glad I was late to this party. I only have Flash on IE 8 on a virtual machine which has been shut down for a few days. It is now running again and I decided to read this thread before updating Flash on it. I won't bother now I have read the entire thread.

As for Adobe sending letters to websites that post the distribution page, yeah, that is partly because, as Corrine said in the Wilders thread, Adobe is not making enough money on McAfee getting accidentally installed. But there is another reason. Adobe now requires that anyone wanting to access the distribution page must APPLY AS AN OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTOR and will be send the link to the distribution page via email after their application is reviewed and accepted. This sounds me like Adobe plans to remove the page from public access but just hasn't done so yet.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Mele20:

Adobe now requires that anyone wanting to access the distribution page must APPLY AS AN OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTOR and will be send the link to the distribution page via email after their application is reviewed and accepted. This sounds me like Adobe plans to remove the page from public access but just hasn't done so yet.

This has always been the case dating back to when Adobe acquired Macromedia. It was actually very easy to be listed as a distributor, though it needed to be renewed yearly. At one time you actually had to login to get access to the redistributable installer but somewhere along the line a few years ago they made this a public link.

Lets see if this gets censored, but another trick is to use more than one brower. Use IE to download the installer for standalone/plugin (firefox, etc), and a different browser (firefox, etc) to download the IE installer. This gets you around the requirement for using their download manager.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Shady Bimmer:

...but another trick is to use more than one brower. Use IE to download the installer for standalone/plugin (firefox, etc), and a different browser (firefox, etc) to download the IE installer.

That has never worked for me. No idea why. That's why I used to do this

»Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.278 is out.

and will again if Adobe removes the direct download page.

BTW as an aside I see that Google again (after years) allows direct downloading of Google Earth. I used to use the above trick to get it.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

waitsian

@comcast.net
reply to angussf
The MSI registers version 11.4.402.267 but actually installs version 11.4.402.278. I verified by installing the MSI and referencing the file version of FlashUtil64_11_4_402_278_ActiveX.exe (and ...Plugin.exe). Unfortunately many Inventory programs will report this as 267 since the registry shows the wrong version. (ActiveX) - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6F702A65-629F-4E5A-B686-1A4826C83AB4}
(Plugin) - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8C27E4F1-9CE6-4C32-ADBB-D51CD226649E}

Definitely annoying.

mimiagatha

@belgacom.be
reply to antdude
Adobe installed it legally and automatically on my windows 7 IE 9 and it killed the IE almost completely (except for simple sites). It was the correct (Active X) version. Had to disable it to be able to work. Bad, bad, bad Adobe.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
said by mimiagatha :

Adobe installed it legally and automatically on my windows 7....

You were worried that it might be illegal?

JRosenfeld

join:2005-06-06
UK
reply to waitsian
said by waitsian :

The MSI registers version 11.4.402.267 but actually installs version 11.4.402.278. I verified by installing the MSI and referencing the file version of FlashUtil64_11_4_402_278_ActiveX.exe (and ...Plugin.exe). Unfortunately many Inventory programs will report this as 267 since the registry shows the wrong version. (ActiveX) - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6F702A65-629F-4E5A-B686-1A4826C83AB4}
(Plugin) - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8C27E4F1-9CE6-4C32-ADBB-D51CD226649E}

Definitely annoying.

on my system the correct version is indicated at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
The key you cite is not present.

dbarber

join:2000-07-25
West Chester, PA
reply to antdude
I have a couple of sites I use that require flash (Pandora, et al). I recently got Flashblock 1.5.15.1 from »flashblock.mozdev.org/ . It allows you to whitelist the sites that you wish to allow. So far it seems to be working fine.
--
These opinions are strictly my own. However, if you really want them, we can negotiate.