Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Maxo

Re: Why oh why so many updates? Why I "like" Ubuntu

quote:
setup a server and get it doing things like file and print sharing, data backups

That would be interesting. I've never tried setting up/managing a server.
Wouldn't I need a large Hard drive? my current one is small. I do have an old P3 600 in my basement that is doing nothing. It has a bad video card [graphics are blurry] and I'm to cheap to buy a new one. I could use that machine as an experiment. Though I'd need a wifi card, or I could set it up by the router and access it remotely and run it that way.
Hmm.. I'll have to check that computer out.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
If you where doing file backups then you'll need a hard drive large enough to support the data you are backing up. A terabyte USB drive can be had for ~$100, and smaller hard drives are even cheaper.

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA
reply to Snakeoil
It might be slow, but you can do it. Download ubuntu server version and install it on the p300. No GUI by default on the server installs so you'll have to do CLI for everything.

You should be able to set up an nginx web server, samba server, ldap or whatever.

HDD would be dependent on how much data you want to store. most ubunut/debian base installs are pretty small.
--
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f*cking them."
General Welfare