vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

Things haven't changed in the past year
»What's more important to you?

"Would you prefer Facebook access at work more than you would a raise?” If you’re what constitutes a young professional, there’s a 45 percent chance that you would choose Facebook

The report even states that more than half of the 1,400 college students — age 18 to 23 — that they surveyed in addition to the young professional group would consider not taking a job if the company had a policy banning Facebook.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium Member
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

ROCINANTE

Premium Member

said by vaxvms:

Things haven't changed in the past year
»What's more important to you?

"Would you prefer Facebook access at work more than you would a raise?” If you’re what constitutes a young professional, there’s a 45 percent chance that you would choose Facebook

The report even states that more than half of the 1,400 college students — age 18 to 23 — that they surveyed in addition to the young professional group would consider not taking a job if the company had a policy banning Facebook.

This is why most companies don't hire college graduates. Many of them are immature, lazy, self-centered, and unreliable. According to some stats I read recently, 50% of them are either unemployed or underemployed.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

Is that so? Lazy? Maybe unemployed, but lazy? I work harder than most people do in a REAL job. People with REAL jobs get BREAKS. People like me DO NOT. So piss off and take your generalizations elsewhere.

I like how many of you make the implication that having access to Facebook automatically makes you unproductive. That's the fallacy, and completely incorrect. What about reddit? Or any other X that makes someone unproductive.

If we really want to get down to the nitty gritty, how about a 15 minute lunch? How about no breaks? I'm sure some of you would bitch and moan about that. Sure, it breaks labor laws, but some of you are pathetic in your "bandwagon" hate for Facebook. It's not secure. I get that. I can see why an employer would block said site. But unproductivity? I guess it's just the new trend to hate Facebook.

Some of you need to get off your high horse and realize that not all of us are lazy, and we are DEFINITELY not beneath you. I don't care what you do for a living, we are the same and your career shouldn't become your identity. But no, we are all lazy ingrates who don't know how to make do for ourselves.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Glad you got that off your chest.. On average, how many games did you have to simulate before reaching a pat flush?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

Glad you got that off your chest..

Sounds to me like someone needs a break...

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Something like ~500 games. For two players, ~20,000 games. For 5? Yea. Lol

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Cool good work..I understand your posting and agree with many of your thoughts and don't think the analogy was fair for recent
graduates.

But there is a concern from a business standpoint about what access a company's system should have facing the internet. As an example this link is a reference to one of the most secure facilities we might find out there...yet they are now bankrupt because of a hacker.
»Old news on DigiNotcar CA ..new News Bankruptcy auction

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium Member
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

ROCINANTE to The Limit

Premium Member

to The Limit
said by The Limit:

Is that so? Lazy? Maybe unemployed, but lazy? I work harder than most people do in a REAL job. People with REAL jobs get BREAKS. People like me DO NOT. So piss off and take your generalizations elsewhere.

Notice how I used the word "many" and not "all" or even "most" to prevent the "HE'S TALKING ABOUT ME!" type of emotional outbursts that proved two of my points I listed.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

I don't care what word you used, it's not true. I don't see sources, citations, no proof. What I see is an opinion that ignorant "elders" like to pass off on the younger generation when in fact, we have it much harder than they ever did.
The Limit

The Limit to ROCINANTE

Premium Member

to ROCINANTE
If you want to call my post out as being emotional, then by all means, do so. But I had a right to do so, because that kind of information is misinformation and has not been proven as far as I can tell.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

2 recommendations

goalieskates to The Limit

Premium Member

to The Limit
said by The Limit:

What I see is an opinion that ignorant "elders" like to pass off on the younger generation when in fact, we have it much harder than they ever did.

Enough with the pity party.

You do not have it harder than your elders, your expectations are different. You never worked in a coal mine at age 6, or starved through the depression, or worked on a farm. Working through lunch and breaks has gone on for years.

The difference is your elders were raised from the beginning with the idea they would have to work, not doted on in schools. They were prepared, our young ones weren't. So let's not get carried away here, and welcome to the real world.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to The Limit

to The Limit
said by The Limit:

I don't care what word you used, it's not true. I don't see sources, citations, no proof. What I see is an opinion that ignorant "elders" like to pass off on the younger generation when in fact, we have it much harder than they ever did.

What I see is an opinion that ignorant "elders" like to pass off on the younger generation when in fact, we have it much harder than they ever did.

Congratulations! In my mind at least, you've managed to completely negate some fairly decent defenses of your position in this thread with the little ditty above.

Since you seem to demand sources, citations and proof, then I also demand the same: Just what empirical evidence in your possession would possibly justify one of the more patently offensive and downright ridiculous statements foisted upon these boards in quite a while?
scelli

scelli (banned) to goalieskates

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

said by The Limit:

Enough with the pity party.

You do not have it harder than your elders, your expectations are different. You never worked in a coal mine at age 6, or starved through the depression, or worked on a farm. Working through lunch and breaks has gone on for years.

The difference is your elders were raised from the beginning with the idea they would have to work, not doted on in schools. They were prepared, our young ones weren't. So let's not get carried away here, and welcome to the real world.

He's also obviously never fought in a world war that nearly decimated half the planet, built a bomb shelter, been denied equal rights because of Jim Crow laws, gotten drafted, lived through numerous assassinations...and on and on and on.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

... or had to write software with only zeroes, because you couldn't afford the ones.

Gimme a break. We're talking about whether people applying for office jobs (which was implicit in the original article) expect to have access to a web site blocked.

Yeah, you're right, some of us have had a relatively safe life, but this is not the exclusive domain of the young (I'm old enough that the AARP have started sending me snail-main), and the walk-uphill-both-directions-in-the-snow rant can't be taken seriously, even if our young friend was exaggerating a little about how hard he had it. He's probably spot-on in that competition for advancement is stiffer, though.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
How about I was raised on a farm? I know what hard work is? You have no idea what my life has been like, and I didn't start the generalizations, let's bring this full circle shall we?

It was stated that "many" grad students are lazy and unemployed or underemployed. I have a right to make my defense. The generalization had absolutely nothing to do with the article in question.

There is no pity party, because that implies that I complain about the work I do, when in fact I am here because I want to be here. What I DON'T like is when people start generalizing large groups of people, which in retrospect, I did out of anger which isn't justified so I own up to that conclusion.

However, in light of what I said, I think it's fair to stand up for my generation rather than watch the previous generation demonize this one. Sure, we haven't had to work in a coal mine, or walk miles and miles to get to school. Let me ask you this: do you think we would still do it if we had to? I have a feeling that we would, hell, I would if I had to. I would get used to it eventually.

The whole purpose that I even posted here in the first place was because I feel like Facebook gets way more hate than it needs to, and that it's "popular" to hate on them because people are unproductive BECAUSE of facebook. That is not true, and I think it's sad now that we have individuals who cannot muster up the self discipline to work rather than play.

And then the implication of "lazy grad" students came into play, which I was not going to allow go unchallenged, because I am obligated to speak up. It's a public forum, and even though the topic was "possibly" in the bounds of the OP, it shouldn't have been said at all. It contributed nothing to the discussion, and made sweeping gestures over a large population of individuals.

So before you go demonizing my post, realize the context of my post.

I am sure that if I lived back then, I would have conformed with the times.
The Limit

The Limit to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
...Which is really not fair to compare me to as I wasn't even born then. In the context of the post, which is jobs, and your topics (which have nothing to do with the context of the post), I was referring to the fact that it's damn near impossible for some of us to get jobs out of college no matter how hard we work. Read the stats for yourself.

But humor me for a minute, if I were alive then, I wouldn't know what I would have been like then. I wouldn't be the person that I am now, that's for sure. I can, however, state that if I was raised then like I have been raised in this generation, I would be fine.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

2 recommendations

scelli (banned)

said by The Limit:

...Which is really not fair to compare me to as I wasn't even born then. In the context of the post, which is jobs, and your topics (which have nothing to do with the context of the post), I was referring to the fact that it's damn near impossible for some of us to get jobs out of college no matter how hard we work. Read the stats for yourself.

But humor me for a minute, if I were alive then, I wouldn't know what I would have been like then. I wouldn't be the person that I am now, that's for sure. I can, however, state that if I was raised now like I was then, I would be fine.

If you are stating I (and apparently some others as well) took your remarks out of context, than I'm willing to take you at your word.

However: Please don't tell me what is fair and what's not fair, because that is exactly the reason why a number of us took umbrage to your remarks. Life isn't always fair or particularly very nice for that matter, as you're sure to learn along the way throughout the upcoming years. It's how a person handles such adversity which separates the wheat from the chaff...and always has, too.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to The Limit

Premium Member

to The Limit
I grew up on a farm. When I was young, there was no TV and the phone had a crank on the side and the line was shared by several neighbors. I feel privileged to have witnessed the advance of technology to the point that in the area where I was born, everyone has cell phones and other more sophisticated technology. A cousin who owns a farm not far from my childhood home was a Microsoft employee and is retired now. He also grew up farming but became a software developer for an independent company that was bought out by MS. Needless to say, he has modernized the old farmhouse where he lives now to state of the art when it comes to energy efficiency and connectivity. OTOH, I have never checked to see whether he has a Facebook account.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
I've noted it, and I should have stated explicitly what I was talking about in regards to the context. I do apologize to anyone that I offended that grew up in the generation before me. The context was supposed to be in the set of all "office" jobs.

And I agree, complaining about it does nothing to solve it. I just got my underwear in a knot because of a false statement that was made about college graduates.
The Limit

The Limit to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
And I don't think I said anything about fairness, most of my comments were in defense of my generation. Unless I missed something.
The Limit

The Limit to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
Haha. That would be awesome to see!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

I broke down and tried a search for his name on Facebook, but do not see him. So, maybe he's smarter than me (he probably is)

I did find his address via a company listing, so he is not secret. I know it is him because I recognize the address.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

I think there is a security measure in place where you can "hide" your name from random searches.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

to The Limit
said by The Limit:

I've noted it, and I should have stated explicitly what I was talking about in regards to the context. I do apologize to anyone that I offended that grew up in the generation before me. The context was supposed to be in the set of all "office" jobs.

And I agree, complaining about it does nothing to solve it. I just got my underwear in a knot because of a false statement that was made about college graduates.

Unfortunately, the intended meaning of a statement on a message board such as this one can sometimes be incredibly misconstrued by readers. We all have done it and the past and am quite sure we all will inadvertently do it in the future.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

Ah yes, and ironically it's something I am learning when proving complex theorems. Everything must be explicitly stated, not assumed, and if something is assumed, it must be proven true unless otherwise stated as a definition.

Practice makes perfect. The more I post here, and the more I do proofs ironically, the more I will learn how to do this.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

to The Limit
said by The Limit:

And I don't think I said anything about fairness, most of my comments were in defense of my generation. Unless I missed something.

said by The Limit:

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

The Limit

Premium Member

Yes, I see. I do think, in regards to the topics you presented, that it is a bit unfair to compare my life today vs the life of a generation ago. I didn't have the opportunity to do any of those things. Yes, I said opportunity, because those are opportunities. You said yourself that a person is molded from how he/she hold up in adversity.

So yes, I missed out, and I don't see those opportunities as necessarily bad ones. I know that it sounds like I can say that with ease, and I do not by any means. I feel like I would have been a better person in the end for those experiences.

But, it's really OT. There was a miscommunication issue on both ends. It's impossible to visualize some struggles unless one has actually lived through said struggle. So yes, I don't really think the comparison to me and my values are necessarily equivalent.