join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to maestro7

Re: Not sure what the big deal is?

I would understand restricting this for grandfathered "Unlimited" customers (and I'm one of those customers).

However, for customers paying for blocks of data, I think the FCC should strictly enforce net neutrality. If I'm paying for a specific quantity of data, I should be able to use it however I want. I shouldn't have to pay extra for tethering or FaceTime. There's no excuse other than gouging to force people to switch to a share plan for this feature.

I get your argument that it's their business, but sometimes the government needs to step in to prevent outright consumer abuse. Remember when we were required to rent a landline phone from the phone company? Remember when we used to have to pay per TV connected to cable? (Oh, wait...)
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

maestro7

join:2004-08-31
Loganville, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

Sorry -- I'm too much of a libertarian to need to go to the government every time I think that a business is potentially harming my enjoyment of their property.

More practically, once again, AT&T (in this case) isn't actually *blocking* anything; they're *restricting* the usage of a service on their network to certain categories of usage (say, wifi, or to certain blocks of data, versus unlimited).

Yet, as I've said before, maybe there'll be enough of an outcry that AT&T will eventually relent on their current policy, which is meant to protect their property.

For me, yes -- I'm on an unlimited plan as well, and when I receive my iPhone 5, I know that my "throttled" limit goes to 5GB (even though all my past monthly usage shows I never go beyond 2GB). I think the idea of using FaceTime over the cellular network is a waste of two things: time and bandwidth.

First, you have to get sender and receiver set up to do the call, then the network has to be clear enough to ensure that the reception is decent enough to even carry on the call for the duration of the call, and then to stop it.

For my wife and I, it's so much simpler to either text each other or make a plain, old, telephone call. But maybe that's just us.