spc
uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to limegrass69

to limegrass69

Re: [OOL] Is this how OOL does wireless????

My reading of the TOS is that you can't allow your guests to use your OOL. But IANAL.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

said by Bob4:

My reading of the TOS is that you can't allow your guests to use your OOL. But IANAL.

Are you sure? I know that I can't give my OOL ID to someone else so that they can use an Optimum hotspot. I also can't charge people (or resell OOL services) to grant Internet access through my or any access point. But I believe that it's OK to provide free wifi as an amenity to my employees and guests as long as I accept responsibility for what goes on over the connection.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Employees would be OK, but I don't know about guests. You tell me. IANAL, but letting your guests use it sounds like sharing and/or distributing it to a third party to me. Did you ask Cablevision if that's OK?
said by BOOL TOS :
Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision.
Now excuse me while I tell someone an account of a major league baseball game and rip the tag off my mattress.

anon123
@optonline.net

anon123

Anon

Are you really complaining about a free wifi hotspot? It has nothing to do with your service. It's not going to hog your bandwidth. If your really that unhappy with something thats free that you shouldnt worry about or touch with your own hands then call cv and tell them that you don't want your free wifi hotspot.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

1 edit

RickNY to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Employees would be OK, but I don't know about guests. You tell me. IANAL, but letting your guests use it sounds like sharing and/or distributing it to a third party to me. Did you ask Cablevision if that's OK?

said by BOOL TOS :
Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision.

You do realize that for Optimum WiFi installed in businesses, the USER is not distributing the service, but Cablevision is installing their own separate equipment to distribute it themselves, right?
»www.freeindoorwifi.com/i ··· te_1.pdf

»www.optimum.net/MyServic ··· i/indoor
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Yeah, but we're talking about the user installing a WiFi router on his BOOL service for use by his customers, not Optimum WiFi.
Bob4

Bob4 to anon123

to anon123
Sheesh. I'm not the one complaining.
Expand your moderator at work

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

Re: [OOL] Is this how OOL does wireless????

said by Bob4:

No problem sharing your OOL connection through wifi. Just can't resell it.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by jaa:

No problem sharing your OOL connection through wifi. Just can't resell it.

Then why does the BOOL TOS say it can't be shared?
said by BOOL TOS :

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

2 edits

jaa

Premium Member

Not doing any of that. Just providing guest access.

Just like when driving 6mph in a 5mph zone, you are not breaking the law.