uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released

Looks like a variation on the annoying DHCP RENEW warning that showed up with 1.0.6.8.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to NetFixer
Click for full size
I'm seeing the same thing Netfixer is seeing and I'm on the same firmware version. Also not sure if this is new or not but in my logs I have warnings about DHCP rebind.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79

2 recommendations

reply to travelguy
The new code has defect fixes in it, IPv6 and PCMM related.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to elkido122
said by elkido122:

so whats the deal with the 1.0.6.10 firmware? what did it do

If it's anything like 1.0.6.8, for most people not much. Seems like it's just the usual 6 month update. Someone posted the Moto release notes for 1.0.6.8 a while back. Would be nice if they did that again.

elkido122

join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA
reply to NetDog
so whats the deal with the 1.0.6.10 firmware? what did it do

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to travelguy
FYI, the MIMO Event or DOCSIS MIMO is what the MSO is doing with the cable modem management interface. It is how the MSO manages your cable modem for status and firmware upgrades:

DOCSIS MIMO = What the cable modem is told to do
Modem's IP Mode = what the cable modem is doing

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO

1 edit
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Must be a limited area rollout, no joy yet in this area (also on the Beaverton CMTS) tried restart, reset defaults +restart and a full powercycle.

It was a limited roll out, the national push will be next week as long as we don't get reports of issues..

CplEstesUSMC

join:2005-02-16
Douglasville, GA
reply to travelguy
Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: nonya
Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 2012 15:35:46

Douglasville Ga , we're usually the LAST to see any network changes. I didn't pay attention to when this was rolled out.

elkido122

join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA
reply to earletp
i just got the update here in folsom ca to 1.0.6.10

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX
reply to andyross
These are the log entries that were generated after the initial re-boot today.
(side note: the config file d11_m_sb6120_speedtier_c01.cm is the name used for the Blast! tier here)

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to earletp
Does it still log those two messages (TLV-11 and MIMO Event) in the log after a reboot?

earletp

PDX
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by earletp:

The only visual difference I've noticed is on the modem Configuration Page.

There has been a line added "Custom Frequency Ordering"
and the line that used to say "MDD IP Mode Override (MIMO) now reads "DOCSIS MIMO.

See attached screenshot.

That is interesting because my SB6121 is still on 1.0.6.8 firmware:

And it has the same "Custom Frequency Ordering" and "DOCSIS MIMO" header information on the Configuration page as your SB6120 on firmware 1.0.6.10.

Was your SB6120 on a firmware release older than 1.0.6.8 prior to this 1.0.6.10 firmware update?

It did have the 1.0.6.8 (Aug 2012) firmware before the update.

I may be mistaken about the changes on the Configuration Page, I rarely even look at the modem status pages unless my modem reboots since it has been rock solid and there hasn't been a need.

The change that caught my eye was from, as your shows on the DOCSIS MIMO line, "IPv4 Only" to "Honor MDD IP Mode". I was so used to seeing "IPv4 Only" that change really stood out. I used an older screen shot I had to compare if there were other changes, but after checking again it was from an even earlier firmware version.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to earletp
Must be a limited area rollout, no joy yet in this area (also on the Beaverton CMTS) tried restart, reset defaults +restart and a full powercycle.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to earletp
said by earletp:

and the line that used to say "MDD IP Mode Override (MIMO) now reads "DOCSIS MIMO.

See attached screenshot.

That is interesting because my SB6121 is still on 1.0.6.8 firmware:

Model Name: SB6121
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 5.0
Serial Number: 35907921882325XXXXXXXXX

And it has the same "Custom Frequency Ordering" and "DOCSIS MIMO" header information on the Configuration page as your SB6120 on firmware 1.0.6.10.

Was your SB6120 on a firmware release older than 1.0.6.8 prior to this 1.0.6.10 firmware update?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to earletp
Thanks for the feedback.

earletp

PDX
reply to EG

See attached screenshot.

I've been fortunate, in the 3+ years I've used this modem it has been pretty much trouble free, so I can't comment on the issues others have had or if this will resolve them.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to earletp
Do you see any difference ? Did it help / fix any possible issues ?

earletp

PDX
reply to travelguy
New firmware in Portland, OR.

Model Name: SB6120
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to travelguy
looks like i am on 1068

ThurstonX

join:2003-11-22
Locust Grove, VA
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

For some reason, I've found doing a power-off reboot instead of rebooting from the menu seems to more reliably bond all channels.

And that's normally what I do. I only recently read about the Restart button available from the web interface. I like to do both router and modem, but my router is now very slow to receive its WAN info from Comcast, so reboots take up to five minutes before PCs get Internet access back. I guess I'll try just a modem reboot, once the wife lets me

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to ThurstonX
For some reason, I've found doing a power-off reboot instead of rebooting from the menu seems to more reliably bond all channels.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to ThurstonX
Do hope it does clear up. I wonder if your neighbors are seeing the same issue. At least this issue doesn't keep you from having internet so that's a plus.

ThurstonX

Locust Grove, VA
reply to Mike Wolf
I tried another hard reboot of both, but the problem persists. If it's something on Comcast's side, maybe it will correct itself eventually.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to ThurstonX
Personally when I get that middle channel T4 timeout I just restart the router and it generally works again, but sometimes it occurs again at the next restart but I'd only notice it if I'm on the signal page. I wish you good luck

ThurstonX

Locust Grove, VA
reply to travelguy
Hi, all.

I have this:

After a recent reboot of modem and router (amped wireless R10000G) I noticed that the SB6121's link light changed from orange to blue. I checked the Signals page and sure enough all three US channels showed Success under Ranging Status.

Today I had to reboot the router, so I thought I'd reboot the modem. I normally do this by simply removing power, waiting at least 2+ minutes, then restoring power, first to the modem, letting it boot fully, and then to the router. After doing that the link light was back to orange, and the infamous middle US channel, which happens to be the middle frequency, shows the T4 TimeOut.

I tried the Reset All Defaults button, followed by the Restart Cable Modem button, but the T4 TimeOut persists. Also, Cable Modem Status is Offline, everything above it reads "Not started," and Initialize Baseline Privacy is Done. Not that I care about that page, as that's what it's always read.

My US channels are 4, 5 & 6, with 39 dBmV, 39 dBmV & 40 dBmV, respectively. These are steady. Also, I have a DS channel 5, but I suppose that's unrelated to the US channel 5.

The only log message since the last reboot and the assorted messages associated with that is this:

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=a4:7a:a4:6f:ca:a0;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:23:78:13;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Priority = 3-Critical
Code = R04.0

My speeds are where they should be 50/10 Mbps.

Is there anything else I can try to restore all three US channels bonding? Don't really feel like calling Comcast atm, though I'm sure they've been wondering where I've been lately

Thanks!

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5

join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to travelguy
12/19/12, 3:15am - My modem just updated itself to 1.0.6.8...

DenverAdam

@comcast.net
reply to NetDog
Make sure your modem model is setup correctly with Comcast. I have a 6121 and it was setup in Comcast's inventory as a 5100. Worked OK, channels bonded, but no new firmware. Modem had to be removed from inventory and be re-provisioned the next day (devices clear out of inventory after midnight). Got the new F/W at provisioning. Log into your account at Comcast.com / My Services to check your equipment inventory.

This is what worked for me, hopefully it will help others.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to catnapped
said by catnapped:

said by andyross:

If it's able to properly bond all upstream channels, it will reboot fast. If it's having trouble, it will hang at the ONLINE light blinking for a minute or so before it gives up and goes into partial mode.

Is that more likely indicative of a problem with the system or the modem itself?

It's possibly a bug in the Motorola's because it almost always seems to be the middle channel that T4's, even if it's not the middle frequency. It's harder to tell if other modems have had similar issues with a disabled upstream channel.

I wonder what the tolerances for transmit frequency and 'leakage' into adjacent channels is. Maybe if some modems are a bit out of tolerance (or maybe the tolerances need to be tightened in the standards), they cause too much interference with adjacent channels.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

If it's able to properly bond all upstream channels, it will reboot fast. If it's having trouble, it will hang at the ONLINE light blinking for a minute or so before it gives up and goes into partial mode.

Is that more likely indicative of a problem with the system or the modem itself?

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to catnapped