Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to travelguy

Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released

said by travelguy:

If you are currently on 1033, I wouldn't do anything to try to get 1066. For that matter, Comcast may have suspended deployment of 1066, but I still wouldn't force a reboot.

Nope, firmware release SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH has not been suspended. I activated a new SB6121 a couple of days after you made this post, and the first thing it did after connecting to the CMTS was to download that firmware release.

OTOH, I have not had any of the problems that others have reported with my SB6121 using the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH firmware (I have 4 channels downstream, 3 channels upstream, and I connect to an Arris/Cadant CMTS). That tells me that the problems being reported are not simply caused by the firmware per se, but may be a combination of the firmware and perhaps specific CMTS boxes/configuration and/or the hardware version of the modem itself (my hardware version is 5.0).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

I use an SB6121 hardware version 5.0 and connect on a Arris/Cadant CMTS with 4 channels downstream and 3 channels upstream and haven't had any problems. I do hope that the latest firmware will improve speeds because I'm just seeeing 52Mbps down max.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7

1 edit

Same thing here (an SB6121, ver. 1.0.6.6 F/W, and connected to a Cadant/ARRIS CMTS with 4 channels downstream and 3 channels upstream) with no issues currently either.

My downstream carrier levels are usually around 0 dBmV (-3/+1) and my upstream levels are around +40 dBmV (-1/+2).

EDIT: My downstream SNRs are usually 36 or 37 dB (I've never called in to see what my upstream SNRs were).

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

My downstream carrier levels are usually around 4 dBmv and my upstream levels are around 49 dBmv

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to travelguy

Just got a firmware update last night.. wait for it...

wait...

..its to firmware release SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

said by pokesph:

Just got a firmware update last night.. wait for it... wait...
..its to firmware release SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH

Well, fingers crossed you won't have any issues...

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by travelguy:

Well, fingers crossed you won't have any issues...

Well now so far only issue has been the status page of the modem.. its not updating and shows as nothing synced and the modem as "offline"

No speed issues.. 35+ down, 5.5+ up (Blast tier) yet.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Try resetting the unit to factory defaults via the GUI, followed by doing a reboot through the GUI. It shouldn't have to download the firmware again, but the offline status and/or "broken" sync page may be fixed.

The offline status ordeal I know of (mentioned/discussed earlier in the thread), but the "broken" sync page I have never heard of until now. From what I can tell the offline status problem is fixed in 1.0.6.8 (I'm presently testing it out here).
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to pokesph

said by pokesph:

Well now so far only issue has been the status page of the modem.. its not updating and shows as nothing synced and the modem as "offline"

Usually (at least in my case) there's a T4 somewhere if the status page shows offline/not completed. Other night was awful as the modem rebooted at least 5x overnight (2/3 upstream were T4'ed at one point that I saw). Not sure if it was maintenance or not as it hasn't returned since (knock wood).

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

That issue (if it is an issue) may or may not have been fixed in 1.0.6.8. Explained here (in this same thread): »Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released

I saw this behaviour happen quite a few times with 1.0.6.6, but I haven't (so far) seen it happen with 1.0.6.8. I haven't done enough testing to state with complete certainty that it was a firmware issue however, but the 1.0.6.8 release notes do touch base somewhat on the topic.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to travelguy

Any hints about when Comcast might roll out the firmware update system-wide? I'm really getting fed up with the reboots of my SB6120.

bman212121

join:2005-06-09

If you are having constant T4 reboots then this firmware won't likely fix anything for you. I have it and did not do anything for me. It is only meant to fix one of the channels showing up as offline.

What I noticed with my connection is that the upstream signal varies a lot, so once it goes high enough the modem can no longer communicate and will T4. We are talking 6 or 7 dBmV swings from low to high. So if my normal signal is 46dBmV that would be perfectly acceptable, but it fluctuates so much that it will swing up to 51dBmV which is the cutoff for 3 bonded channels.

It's kind of a double hit when you go from 1 upstream to 3. With one upstream the modem can push 57dBmV before it is maxed out, that leaves a lot more headroom. The other thing is that I don't think my modem swings as much with one upstream either. I didn't watch too closely but I would guess it only varies 3dBmV instead of 6.

My solution? »cabletvamps.com/Products/ERA-4100.htm Someone on the Comcast's forums said they used this amp to fix their issue. I've used their gear before when I had a bunch of TVs so it wasn't that hard of a sell for me. (Electroline makes good gear and the previous item I bought carries a 10 year warranty.)

Basically what the amp does is takes the upstream signal and boost it by 10db. You only want / need this hooked up to the cable modem as you want to avoid picking up as much RF as possible. A good, short RG6 cable from the modem directly into this should keep the amount of ingress down. So now instead of my modem having to push 46dBmV to get a signal back to the CMTS, it only has to push 36dBmV. For normal usage the only thing that does is make it look prettier. But when the signal starts going bad and the modem needs to crank up the power, it has more headroom now. I've seen my modem pushing 46dBmV with the amp in place which means I would need to be up to 56dBmV without it in order to communicate. That would still be within the threshold on a single upstream, but not when you have 3 channels. So the modem is still able to stay online even during those rough times.

I've still had 1 T4 since I put the amp in place. It could be the SNR was just too low or maybe there was a short power outage causing the amp to turn off (It's not on my battery backup yet) or maybe even just some work being done at the head end since it was at 1am. But in the past 10 days that is 1 T4 versus a T4 about every 3 hours.

I would suggest just watching your modem and seeing if you notice a pattern like mine. If you do then your options are either get an amp, or get a docsis 2.0 modem so they can't give you upstream bonded channels. I should point out as well that if you do have a bad drop, splitter, etc that using the amp wouldn't make sense until you have those issues fixed. In my case I had a perfectly working connection until July on a drop that is about 1 year old now and has 1 good splitter on it. There really isn't anything I can do to improve my signal levels as the connections are already solid. Also RG6 vs RG11 makes little difference for low frequencies to having the drop replaced with better cable wouldn't really help. 2 months of posting in Comcast Direct didn't make a difference either, but you might have better luck than I did.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

said by bman212121:

If you are having constant T4 reboots then this firmware won't likely fix anything for you. I have it and did not do anything for me. It is only meant to fix one of the channels showing up as offline.

1.0.6.8 does make one important change. When a channel STOPS working properly, it will just switch to partial mode instead of rebooting like 1.0.6.6 does.

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to JJJohnson

I can't freaking believe it, but they finally released 1.0.6.8. Whoopee.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7

said by JJJohnson:

I can't freaking believe it, but they finally released 1.0.6.8. Whoopee.

Yes, it was released nationally on November 26th: »Motorola Modem Firmware update..

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to travelguy

Got the new Firmware update tonight.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to travelguy

Having been one of the early testers, I can't say that it did a whole lot plus or minus for me. I wasn't seeing the constant reboots reported by others before or after. The only problem I continue to have is the missing middle uplink channel. That may or may not be on the CMTS side.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

I see no difference between the two.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to travelguy

I get that T4 missing uplink channel even after the update as well but its only once in a while after a reboot. Another quick reboot corrects it.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM

said by Mike Wolf:

I get that T4 missing uplink channel even after the update as well but its only once in a while after a reboot. Another quick reboot corrects it.

What's strange for me is that I don't see the T4 errors. I do see a T3 error on the reboot before the correct time is established. That may be related. You would think missing one out of three channels would have an effect on the uplink speeds, but I'm getting 7+ mbps.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JJJohnson

said by JJJohnson:

Any hints about when Comcast might roll out the firmware update system-wide? I'm really getting fed up with the reboots of my SB6120.

The new firmware was pushed National..

Siobhan

join:2008-03-30
Houston, TX

2 edits
reply to pd0x33

Received this firmware for my SB6141 today when I unplugged the coax to replace old weather boots:

Jan 01 1970 00:00:14 6-Notice N/A Cable Modem Reboot from shell ;CM-MAC=20:e5:64:xx:yy:zz;CMTS-MAC=00:13:5f:05:49:53;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Dec 04 2012 14:38:59 6-Notice E112.0 SW download Successful - Via Config file
Dec 04 2012 14:36:13 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6141_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

So now the help page shows this:

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: 112233445500006677889901
Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 2012 15:35:46

Glad this has finally gone to general release, but can't wait for the SB6141 to be IPv6 certified on Comcast's list, since it shouldn't be much different than the SB6121 that already is (listed). Motorola's datasheet for it states that they share the same firmware.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to travelguy

Kinda makes me wonder just what its all doing.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM

said by Mike Wolf:

Kinda makes me wonder just what its all doing.

Based on the release notes, 1068 was designed to allow modems that were in a constant reboot mode mode because of noise on one channel to lock that channel out and operate at a reduced capability.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I meant the 3 upstream bonded channels if only 2 (or even 1) gives the same results

catnapped

Elizabethtown, PA
reply to travelguy

And the T4 is back on one of my channels today (1.0.6.8)...blah

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by catnapped:

And the T4 is back on one of my channels today (1.0.6.8)...blah

Did your modem reboot because of the T4? If not, then the 1.0.6.8 firmware is doing its job.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

catnapped

Elizabethtown, PA
reply to travelguy

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I'm finding the sync time from a modem reboot has been erratic as well...sometimes the connection will come back fast other times the (reboot) lease time (~:20) on my router will keep resetting several times before the connection returns and quite often the T4 turns up on one of those prolonged re-syncs. Another reboot will clear that up but I'd think that's not the way it's supposed to be working, is it?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

If it's able to properly bond all upstream channels, it will reboot fast. If it's having trouble, it will hang at the ONLINE light blinking for a minute or so before it gives up and goes into partial mode.

catnapped

Elizabethtown, PA

said by andyross:

If it's able to properly bond all upstream channels, it will reboot fast. If it's having trouble, it will hang at the ONLINE light blinking for a minute or so before it gives up and goes into partial mode.

Is that more likely indicative of a problem with the system or the modem itself?