NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:81
reply to JJJohnson

Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released

said by JJJohnson:

Any hints about when Comcast might roll out the firmware update system-wide? I'm really getting fed up with the reboots of my SB6120.

The new firmware was pushed National..

Siobhan

join:2008-03-30
Houston, TX

2 edits
reply to pd0x33
Received this firmware for my SB6141 today when I unplugged the coax to replace old weather boots:

Jan 01 1970 00:00:14 6-Notice N/A Cable Modem Reboot from shell ;CM-MAC=20:e5:64:xx:yy:zz;CMTS-MAC=00:13:5f:05:49:53;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Dec 04 2012 14:38:59 6-Notice E112.0 SW download Successful - Via Config file
Dec 04 2012 14:36:13 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6141_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

So now the help page shows this:
Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: 112233445500006677889901
Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 2012 15:35:46

Glad this has finally gone to general release, but can't wait for the SB6141 to be IPv6 certified on Comcast's list, since it shouldn't be much different than the SB6121 that already is (listed). Motorola's datasheet for it states that they share the same firmware.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to travelguy
Kinda makes me wonder just what its all doing.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
said by Mike Wolf:

Kinda makes me wonder just what its all doing.

Based on the release notes, 1068 was designed to allow modems that were in a constant reboot mode mode because of noise on one channel to lock that channel out and operate at a reduced capability.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I meant the 3 upstream bonded channels if only 2 (or even 1) gives the same results

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to travelguy
And the T4 is back on one of my channels today (1.0.6.8)...blah

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by catnapped:

And the T4 is back on one of my channels today (1.0.6.8)...blah

Did your modem reboot because of the T4? If not, then the 1.0.6.8 firmware is doing its job.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

catnapped

Elizabethtown, PA
reply to travelguy
Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I'm finding the sync time from a modem reboot has been erratic as well...sometimes the connection will come back fast other times the (reboot) lease time (~:20) on my router will keep resetting several times before the connection returns and quite often the T4 turns up on one of those prolonged re-syncs. Another reboot will clear that up but I'd think that's not the way it's supposed to be working, is it?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
If it's able to properly bond all upstream channels, it will reboot fast. If it's having trouble, it will hang at the ONLINE light blinking for a minute or so before it gives up and goes into partial mode.

catnapped

Elizabethtown, PA
said by andyross:

If it's able to properly bond all upstream channels, it will reboot fast. If it's having trouble, it will hang at the ONLINE light blinking for a minute or so before it gives up and goes into partial mode.

Is that more likely indicative of a problem with the system or the modem itself?

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
said by catnapped:

said by andyross:

Is that more likely indicative of a problem with the system or the modem itself?

It's possibly a bug in the Motorola's because it almost always seems to be the middle channel that T4's, even if it's not the middle frequency. It's harder to tell if other modems have had similar issues with a disabled upstream channel.

I wonder what the tolerances for transmit frequency and 'leakage' into adjacent channels is. Maybe if some modems are a bit out of tolerance (or maybe the tolerances need to be tightened in the standards), they cause too much interference with adjacent channels.

DenverAdam

@comcast.net
reply to NetDog
Make sure your modem model is setup correctly with Comcast. I have a 6121 and it was setup in Comcast's inventory as a 5100. Worked OK, channels bonded, but no new firmware. Modem had to be removed from inventory and be re-provisioned the next day (devices clear out of inventory after midnight). Got the new F/W at provisioning. Log into your account at Comcast.com / My Services to check your equipment inventory.

This is what worked for me, hopefully it will help others.

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5

join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to travelguy
12/19/12, 3:15am - My modem just updated itself to 1.0.6.8...

Model Name: SB6121
Hardware Version: 5.0

ThurstonX

join:2003-11-22
Locust Grove, VA
reply to travelguy
Hi, all.

I have this:

After a recent reboot of modem and router (amped wireless R10000G) I noticed that the SB6121's link light changed from orange to blue. I checked the Signals page and sure enough all three US channels showed Success under Ranging Status.

Today I had to reboot the router, so I thought I'd reboot the modem. I normally do this by simply removing power, waiting at least 2+ minutes, then restoring power, first to the modem, letting it boot fully, and then to the router. After doing that the link light was back to orange, and the infamous middle US channel, which happens to be the middle frequency, shows the T4 TimeOut.

I tried the Reset All Defaults button, followed by the Restart Cable Modem button, but the T4 TimeOut persists. Also, Cable Modem Status is Offline, everything above it reads "Not started," and Initialize Baseline Privacy is Done. Not that I care about that page, as that's what it's always read.

My US channels are 4, 5 & 6, with 39 dBmV, 39 dBmV & 40 dBmV, respectively. These are steady. Also, I have a DS channel 5, but I suppose that's unrelated to the US channel 5.

The only log message since the last reboot and the assorted messages associated with that is this:

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=a4:7a:a4:6f:ca:a0;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:23:78:13;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Priority = 3-Critical
Code = R04.0

My speeds are where they should be 50/10 Mbps.

Is there anything else I can try to restore all three US channels bonding? Don't really feel like calling Comcast atm, though I'm sure they've been wondering where I've been lately

Thanks!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Personally when I get that middle channel T4 timeout I just restart the router and it generally works again, but sometimes it occurs again at the next restart but I'd only notice it if I'm on the signal page. I wish you good luck

ThurstonX

Locust Grove, VA
I tried another hard reboot of both, but the problem persists. If it's something on Comcast's side, maybe it will correct itself eventually.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Do hope it does clear up. I wonder if your neighbors are seeing the same issue. At least this issue doesn't keep you from having internet so that's a plus.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to ThurstonX
For some reason, I've found doing a power-off reboot instead of rebooting from the menu seems to more reliably bond all channels.

ThurstonX

Locust Grove, VA
said by andyross:

For some reason, I've found doing a power-off reboot instead of rebooting from the menu seems to more reliably bond all channels.

And that's normally what I do. I only recently read about the Restart button available from the web interface. I like to do both router and modem, but my router is now very slow to receive its WAN info from Comcast, so reboots take up to five minutes before PCs get Internet access back. I guess I'll try just a modem reboot, once the wife lets me

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to travelguy
looks like i am on 1068

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX
reply to travelguy
New firmware in Portland, OR.

Model Name: SB6120
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
Do you see any difference ? Did it help / fix any possible issues ?

earletp

PDX
The only visual difference I've noticed is on the modem Configuration Page.

There has been a line added "Custom Frequency Ordering"
and the line that used to say "MDD IP Mode Override (MIMO) now reads "DOCSIS MIMO.

See attached screenshot.

I've been fortunate, in the 3+ years I've used this modem it has been pretty much trouble free, so I can't comment on the issues others have had or if this will resolve them.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
Thanks for the feedback.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to earletp
said by earletp:

and the line that used to say "MDD IP Mode Override (MIMO) now reads "DOCSIS MIMO.

See attached screenshot.

That is interesting because my SB6121 is still on 1.0.6.8 firmware:

Serial Number: 35907921882325XXXXXXXXX

And it has the same "Custom Frequency Ordering" and "DOCSIS MIMO" header information on the Configuration page as your SB6120 on firmware 1.0.6.10.

Was your SB6120 on a firmware release older than 1.0.6.8 prior to this 1.0.6.10 firmware update?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to earletp
Must be a limited area rollout, no joy yet in this area (also on the Beaverton CMTS) tried restart, reset defaults +restart and a full powercycle.

earletp

PDX
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by earletp:

See attached screenshot.

That is interesting because my SB6121 is still on 1.0.6.8 firmware:

And it has the same "Custom Frequency Ordering" and "DOCSIS MIMO" header information on the Configuration page as your SB6120 on firmware 1.0.6.10.

Was your SB6120 on a firmware release older than 1.0.6.8 prior to this 1.0.6.10 firmware update?

It did have the 1.0.6.8 (Aug 2012) firmware before the update.

I may be mistaken about the changes on the Configuration Page, I rarely even look at the modem status pages unless my modem reboots since it has been rock solid and there hasn't been a need.

The change that caught my eye was from, as your shows on the DOCSIS MIMO line, "IPv4 Only" to "Honor MDD IP Mode". I was so used to seeing "IPv4 Only" that change really stood out. I used an older screen shot I had to compare if there were other changes, but after checking again it was from an even earlier firmware version.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
Does it still log those two messages (TLV-11 and MIMO Event) in the log after a reboot?

earletp

PDX
These are the log entries that were generated after the initial re-boot today.
(side note: the config file d11_m_sb6120_speedtier_c01.cm is the name used for the Blast! tier here)

elkido122

join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA
i just got the update here in folsom ca to 1.0.6.10