Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to 59137280

Re: Which SSD drive to get?

said by 59137280:

said by Krisnatharok:

OK, first ensure your monitor is hooked up via the GPU and not the motherboard.

Second, go into the UEFI under peripherals/SATA (don't know the exact layout) and ensure the "SATA mode" is set to AHCI and not IDE.

The manual for your mobo is here--it will have instructions on how to set to AHCI as well as how to ensure you are using the discrete GPU and not the iGPU: »dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA···_PRO.pdf

Could you pls make exact directions where to set these?
Where do I set to AHCI and UEFI and discrete GPU?

You don’t want to mess with the UEFI BIOS much if you don’t feel comfortable doing so or don’t know what you’re doing. You could conceivably cause more problems then you would fix if things go wrong.

Having said that to enter the UEFI press the delete key when booting the system during the prompt screen to do so.

Once in the UEFI BIOS utility at the upper right most corner there is an “exit / advanced mode” button. Click that button with your mouse and choose “advanced mode” from the popup menu.

You should then see tabs at the top, click the "advanced" tab (3rd tab going from left to right IIRC) .

Click SATA configuration.

Here you should see your OCZ Vertex 4 in the list.

Just make sure that the “SATA Mode” button (probably at the top of the device list) is set to “AHCI Mode”.

Then save and exit the UEFI if changes were indeed made. If not then you can simply exit without saving changes. I have two Asus motherboards with this UEFI but older versions may have a different layout as well as newer versions.

Take note that if you installed Windows in EIDE mode and switched to AHCI then it will no longer start properly.

join:2006-07-06
Montreal, QC

3 edits
reply to 59137280
Click for full size
Click for full size
How can I tell what mode am I in, SATA 3, UEFI or what?

Anyway, the problem fixed itself somehow... and then unfixed again.
I unplugged monitor HDMI what turned out to be it was in mobo and into the graphic card - it fixed it. Graphics were back to awesome. Catalyst driver displayed... And then the monitor just turned itself off... and started flashing the power light like when it cannot see the video source. And the driver is back to Generic VGA and desktop 800x600
Could it be monitor problem? HDMI cable?

Update:
I switched to analog cable and it's back to good... Can all this be dying HDMI cable?

Also, what are the differences in graphics quality between HDMI and RGB (VGA) cable?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
I don't think analog cables can go above 480 or 600. Do us a favor and try a different HDMI cable and see what happens.

Try plugging it back into the mobo, install the AMD Catalyst drivers, then plug it back into the GPU.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

join:2006-07-06
Montreal, QC
said by Krisnatharok:

I don't think analog cables can go above 480 or 600. Do us a favor and try a different HDMI cable and see what happens.

Try plugging it back into the mobo, install the AMD Catalyst drivers, then plug it back into the GPU.

I'm afraid to screw with it - it works now on RGB cable and I'll leave it like this. Anyway, I have no other HDMI cable

When I wrote "analog" I meant RGB cable. My resolution is back to normal and graphics optimal under the RGB cable. So that's why I want to know the cons of RGB vs HDMI in such use?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
Do you have any spare DVI cables laying around?

Only difference between HDMI and DVI, is audio is carried over HDMI along with video.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to 59137280
TigerDirect has the 240GB Samsung 830 Series for $160 for those interested. I wasn't sure if the OP was still looking or not (thread has since deviated).

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
nm, was going to recommend Samsung, but it looks like he made his choice.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to sk1939
Click for full size
said by sk1939:

TigerDirect has the 240GB Samsung 830 Series for $160 for those interested. I wasn't sure if the OP was still looking or not (thread has since deviated).

As I stated before, I ordered an Intel 330 series 240GB SSD from Newegg.com for $139.99 shipped (no rebate just coupon code). Newegg.com actually shipped it the same day and sent tracking info the same day as well (I didn’t spring for rushing the order). It shipped from NJ and I received it the next day.

Cheap and fast!

said by Chuck_IV:

nm, was going to recommend Samsung, but it looks like he made his choice.

When I checked Newegg.ca they basically had no Samsung SSD units. Actually they had one 64GB 1.8” but that was it.

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02
reply to 59137280
So does anyone else have feedback on the SanDisk drives?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
If it's like their memory cards then they should be pretty reliable and of decent quality, but they are not necessarily cheap.

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
reply to 59137280
I just bought the Crucial V4 256GB on Amazon for $179. Outstanding drive.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to 59137280
OCZ Octane OCT1-25SAT3-1T 2.5" 1TB SATA III 2Xnm Synchronous Mode Multi-Level Cell (MLC) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···rnal-SSD

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit
Interesting. I like it but I’m not willing to pay ~$2500 for a 1TB SSD.

I could run a 4x240GB SSD RAID 0 array for considerably less. A 240GB SSD can be as low as ~$130 USD. That could be as low as ~$520USD for 4 SSD's, which, is about 5 times less for quasi equivalent SSD capacity. On a Z77 platform you can run TRIM in a RAID 0 array so you don’t have to worry about this missing support anymore. Presumably the Intel X79 express chipset will receive the same support soon as well.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
OCZ RevoDrive RVDHY-FH-1T PCI-E 1TB Hybrid Solid State Drive PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···rnal-SSD

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Yeah, I hear good things about the Revo Hybrid PCIe drive.

Still, I have to suspect that at some point in its operation that it would be relegated to the speed of the mechanical drive. I just don’t see how it could sidestep this in ever use case. I could be wrong though I guess.

dean corso

join:2007-09-07
reply to 59137280
Running a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 here. Three weeks in with Win7 Pro 64 and going strong. Great performance.