how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

1 edit

How much data does DirecTv on-demand use on Comcast HSI?

I have Comcast Performance internet (no TV with Comcast) and I am getting DirecTv this Friday.

DirecTv uses your broadband connection for its on-demand watching. DirecTv is supposed to be the less compressed HD of the main providers, so I suppose it is a lot of data (but maybe they compress the broadband streaming more.)

Anyone know what a typical 2 hour HD movie, on DirecTv, downloads on Comcast HSI?

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
2 gigs per hr of HD viewing isnt far fetched...
--
I'm better than you!

dfhzdhzdfshz

@comcast.net
For the moment you can use as you want, but if caps are applied to your area you'll either have to limit the on demand use or get a business class account.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to nine9s2
Based on the shows I've been grabbing from HBO On Demand now that they fully mirror what's available on HBO Go, the on-demand HD content is roughly 2.5 - 3.5GB per hour of video content.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
Thanks.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
reply to nine9s2
On another message board, as I understood the person, someone implied that your DIRECTV DVR communicates with DIRECTV via your internet connection to request a download but the DIRECTV Cinema download of the movie/show actually comes via the satellite to your DVR. Is that correct - therefore not much data usage on the internet of the actual content?

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21
That is incorrect. Some DirecTV Cinema movies do come from the satellite, but it's a relatively small number and they don't require an Internet connection at all. The vast majority of the content is downloaded over the Internet.

JPnATL

join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nine9s2
Their on-demand line-up is nothing like Comcast although I like Direct better because its a little more clearer but their on-demand is not on-demand like Comcast which is the only thing I miss about Xfinity TV but anywho your Direct on-demand has to record the show to your hard drive and that happens via your service provider. When you select something from Comcast and hit play you get your program "on-demand". To make a long story short just don't get to excited about that 7000 on-demand this and that from direct because very little is in HD and most movies are unheard of at least to me they are.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
Whoa, run on city there bro. Directv totally beats Comcast Digital Cable here, I am sure it's great in some areas, just not ours.