spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

Downgrade from TV and phone to only phone - same RG?

I initially had internet, tv and phone with Uverse. I have a 3801 RG. Six months ago, i canceled internet and went with Comcast. Now I am switching to Directv for TV and will keep Uverse phone only.

Will I use the same RG or will they want to switch RGs if Uverse phone only?

PremTechLife

join:2012-09-16
seen it.

same rg, not trip necessary

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
You can keep using the same RG, but that modem is rented, and I assume you are paying the modem rental fee

If you are a FTTN customer and your modem is fed with phone/Cat 3/Cat 5/etc cord with an RJ-11 connector, you could switch to a 2Wire/Pace 3600, which you buy & own. They run $100 new, but you can sometimes find them for less from 3rd parties. Using owned equipment, there is no rental fee

If you are a FTTP customer you must keep using the 2Wire/Pace 3801. If you are a FTTN customer and the modem is fed with coaxial cable, the switch to the 3600 could happen, but it is not a simple switch, and would probably require a (billable) technician visit

Long story short, in most cases, keep the 2Wire/Pace 3801 for the U-Voice only service

nine9s2

Richmond, TX

1 edit
said by ILpt4U:

You can keep using the same RG, but that modem is rented, and I assume you are paying the modem rental fee

If you are a FTTN customer and your modem is fed with phone/Cat 3/Cat 5/etc cord with an RJ-11 connector, you could switch to a 2Wire/Pace 3600, which you buy & own. They run $100 new, but you can sometimes find them for less from 3rd parties. Using owned equipment, there is no rental fee

If you are a FTTP customer you must keep using the 2Wire/Pace 3801. If you are a FTTN customer and the modem is fed with coaxial cable, the switch to the 3600 could happen, but it is not a simple switch, and would probably require a (billable) technician visit

Long story short, in most cases, keep the 2Wire/Pace 3801 for the U-Voice only service

Thanks. I might switch to Comcast phone at a later date, so I'll probably keep renting. Plus with the problems I had with Uverse internet and now Uverse TV, I would be worried about spending money for permanent hardware for Uverse phone.

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA
kudos:1
reply to nine9s2
Be sure first, I have TV/phone and I tried to cancel TV and keep phone and they said U-Verse phone isn't available by it self. Could be bad info from the rep but thats what he told me.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
Thanks for warning. I'll call AT&T and either go to POTS or Comcast.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to oneoone
said by oneoone:

Be sure first, I have TV/phone and I tried to cancel TV and keep phone and they said U-Verse phone isn't available by it self. Could be bad info from the rep but thats what he told me.

I think that's bad info from a rep. Especially if you have a triple play RG. It would be dumb not to.

I am +1 for bad info rep.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to oneoone
said by oneoone:

I have actually done a U-Voice VoIP only install before...

But once and only once

PremTechLife

join:2012-09-16
reply to oneoone
Ive done voip only, seen people with tv/hsia cancelled & 3801, people with pots and voip. Get what you want, the way you want it.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
reply to nine9s2
Rentention representatvie said I can have only phone if I want.