Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

direfan

join:2005-01-05
Rockville, MD

Replacing current verizon FIOS modem with new one

Hi,

As part of my move, I received a new fios modem with 2 antennae. I would like to replace my current modem with this new one. Is it just simply disconnecting the old one and replacing it with a new one? Or is it more complicated? I have read about releasing WAN etc. Do i need to do that? Thanks.

D

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

Be sure to release the WAN DHCP lease on the old router, then IMMEDIATELY disconnect it.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease
Otherwise, you'll need to wait for the DHCP lease to expire before you can get a new one.

BTW, it's a router, not a modem.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jonasjlp

join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA
reply to direfan

it's also easier to rename you new router SSID and change the WEP/WPA password to match your previous router so you don't have to go thru and update all of your wireless devices.

fortysevenpe

@verizon.net
reply to direfan

its a router not a modem

said by direfan:

Hi,

As part of my move, I received a new fios modem with 2 antennae. I would like to replace my current modem with this new one. Is it just simply disconnecting the old one and replacing it with a new one? Or is it more complicated? I have read about releasing WAN etc. Do i need to do that? Thanks.

D