spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

signalsays

join:2012-09-18
united state

Which best: Comcast Sm Business or AT&T U-Verse FIOS?

Which is best - Comcast Small Business or AT&T U-Verse FIOS Internet service 1-year contract (for house and small business in Silicon Valley)?

*FIOS good points – supposedly you link directly to the central office so you get the speed you pay for, whereas cable internet speeds decline with the number of users feeding off the same cable connection (I used to use Comcast Small Business and found the connection speed would slow at times); FIOS has a less expensive monthly fee of $$29.95/month for 12 months for 12.0 Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps upstream or $44.95/month for 12 months for 24 Mbps and upstream speed of up to 3.0 Mbps compared with the Comcast Small Business monthly fee of $ $59.95 with 1 year contract for 12Mbps and upstream speed of 2Mbps.

* Comcast good points: Found Comcast Small Business had good, prompt customer service and tech support (much better than residential cable); Lower installation fee of $100 (compared with AT&T Fios installation fee of $149 + an additional $100 for a 2Wire 3600HGV Internet Gateway (modem + wireless router) with only a 1-year warranty, so if the Internet Gateway konks out after 1 year, you need to pay for a new one); Comcast Small Business has no data limit, while Fios has a 250GB limit.

I live with roommates in my house and can’t imagine we’d ever have more than 7-8 people online at the same time including guests. We often work from home, generally web surf and watch movies and shows online and occasionally play online games. Our old Comcast Business Package had a download speed of 12Mbps and upload of 2Mbps, but again the speed fluctuated, and often our speed was higher than this.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
First things first. FiOS is a Verizon product. Uverse is the AT&T product. FiOS is Fiber To The Home(FTTH). Uverse is Fiber To The Node(FTTN) or Fiber to the Cabinet(FTTC). After the AT&T fiber goes into the cabinet known as a VRAD, it comes out as twisted pair copper line that goes to your house. It is the reason the FCC classifies Uverse as a DSL service. There is a very small percentage of Uverse installations that are FTTH, but they are so few and far between that it is statistically irrelevant.

Comcast has really improved internet service since upgrading most of their network to DOCSIS 3.0.

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-···012/july

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-···1/august

They have speed tiers in many areas up to 105Mbps download and 20Mbps upload. They are planning to deploy a 305Mbps/65Mbps tier.

AT&T is planning to do nothing with Uverse. All AT&T attention, and most of its money, is focused on cellular services.

I would try the Comcast option first.

signalsays

join:2012-09-18
united state

Comcast and AT&T FTTN; Sonic.net

Thanks David, just found out the above about FTTN. Comcast is sounding like a more stable option, especially given that I found out that the local main US Post Office, which has AT&T U-Verse, just lost internet access for 2 weeks. Not encouraging.

Going to compare Comcast with Sonic.net, another DSL provider in our area.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Reviews at »/gbu. Go to bottom of page for Regional ISPs. Sonic.net gets generally good reviews »Company entry - SONIC.NET. They have changed some policies recently, so there might be comments alluding to issues with those changes.

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX
reply to davidhoffman

Re: Which best: Comcast Sm Business or AT&T U-Verse FIOS?

Deleted so it does not hijack the subject.