spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

signalsays

join:2012-09-18
united state

[Info] AT&T U-Verse or Comcast Small Business for Home Office?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and trying to decide between Comcast Small Business Service and AT&T U-Verse for my home and home office in Silicon Valley. What do you suggest?

* FIOS GOOD POINTS:

-Supposedly you link directly to the central office so you get the speed you pay for, whereas cable internet speeds decline with the number of users feeding off the same cable connection (I used to use Comcast Small Business and found the connection speed would slow at times)
-FIOS has a less expensive monthly fee of $$29.95/month for 12 months for 12.0 Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps upstream or $44.95/month for 12 months for 24 Mbps and upstream speed of up to 3.0 Mbps compared with the Comcast Small Business monthly fee of $ $59.95 with 1 year contract for 12Mbps and upstream speed of 2Mbps.

* COMCAST GOOD POINTS:

-Found Comcast Small Business had good, prompt customer service and tech support (much better than residential cable)
-Lower installation fee of $100 (compared with AT&T Fios installation fee of $149 + an additional $100 for a 2Wire 3600HGV Internet Gateway (modem + wireless router) with only a 1-year warranty, so if the Internet Gateway konks out after 1 year, you need to pay for a new one)
-Comcast Small Business has no data limit, while Fios has a 250GB limit.

I live with roommates in my house and can’t imagine we’d ever have more than 7-8 people online at the same time including guests. We often work from home, generally web surf and watch movies and shows online and occasionally play online games. Our old Comcast Business Package had a download speed of 12Mbps and upload of 2Mbps, but again the speed fluctuated, and often our speed was higher than this.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Re: [Info] AT&T U-Verse or Comcast Small Business for Home Offic

I suggest that it doesn't make sense to compare residential uverse with business class cable. What do you expect ? Of course the residential service is cheaper and the business service is better in most other aspects. It would be the same when you compare business class offerings from ATT with residential service from Comcast.

You should also know that uverse is not FIOS (despite some ATT sales people deliberately misrepresenting it as such). With uverse you have copper pairs to a VRAD in your neighborhood. Only the connection from the VRAD to the CO is fiber optic. The proper term for this is FTTN (fiber to the node).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

signalsays

united state
Thanks leibold for the info - thought copper lines were involved somewhere in that chain. Let's put aside business versus residential service for a moment - which service would you prefer and why? I listed some key differences in installation price, monthly cost, speed during higher use times, etc.

Only reason I was comparing Comcast Small Business and AT&T U-Verse is that they were close in speed and price.

signalsays

united state
reply to signalsays

Sonic.net alternative to AT&T U-Verse, Comcast Small Business?

Also is Sonic.net a viable alternative? How would it compare? I know this depends on our distance from the CO, which I'll check with them.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Re: Sonic.net alternative to AT&T U-Verse, Comcast Small Busines

If you qualify for Sonic.net Fusion and are at a reasonably short distance from the CO then this will be your best option. Sonic.net is a great ISP and I just wish there was a way to speed up their fiber optic (100mbps and 1 gigabit) deployments.

If I had to choose between AT&T residential uverse and Comcast business cable I would pick Comcast. However keep in mind that I haven't had either of those two Internet services myself and that my opinion is based on the experience of others.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

signalsays

united state
reply to signalsays

Comcast versus Sonic.net for home office?

Leibold, are there any downsides to Sonic.net? How is their reliability? Do they respond quickly to problems? Comcast Business has been very responsive in my experience.

Going to call Sonic.net and check with them as well.

This poster agreed about Comcast being a superior choice (reprinted his post below the link):

»Which best: Comcast Sm Business or AT&T U-Verse FIOS?

"First things first. FiOS is a Verizon product. Uverse is the AT&T product. FiOS is Fiber To The Home(FTTH). Uverse is Fiber To The Node(FTTN) or Fiber to the Cabinet(FTTC). After the AT&T fiber goes into the cabinet known as a VRAD, it comes out as twisted pair copper line that goes to your house. It is the reason the FCC classifies Uverse as a DSL service. There is a very small percentage of Uverse installations that are FTTH, but they are so few and far between that it is statistically irrelevant.

Comcast has really improved internet service since upgrading most of their network to DOCSIS 3.0.

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-···012/july

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-···1/august

They have speed tiers in many areas up to 105Mbps download and 20Mbps upload. They are planning to deploy a 305Mbps/65Mbps tier.

AT&T is planning to do nothing with Uverse. All AT&T attention, and most of its money, is focused on cellular services.

I would try the Comcast option first."

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 recommendation

reply to signalsays

Re: [Info] AT&T U-Verse or Comcast Small Business for Home Offic

Closing this thread, to help focus attention on the first thread regarding this subject.

»Which best: Comcast Sm Business or AT&T U-Verse FIOS?
--
Games - GameTech - S.F.Bay -