Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrData
Premium
join:2004-12-31
Longwood, FL

[General] VOIP over LTE

Hello, thinking about getting a 4g usb modem and cradlepoint router. Was wondering how third party VOIP is working for you guys?

I'm currently using Clear Wimax and it works good, but the LTE speeds look much better.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

I use SIP. It works good over Verizon 3G hotspots and an AT&T 4G phone. AT&T's net configuration interferes with that protocol, but it doesn't take money or a rocket scientist to get around that or public wifi APs with firewalls and port restrictions. Given LTE has lower latency and jitter than EvDO or HSPA+ and the fact port and protocol filtering(along with aggressive NAT)is employed in at least some of my connection situations, I assume it will work at least as well as it does for me(even if vzw does employ aggressive Nat or filter ports on lte, which I would wager the former and not the latter may apply), as the best we have is hspa+ from AT&T, whose NAT requires some wiggling around, and it works brilliantly for me. SCall quality over hspa+ on voip very much surpasses AT&T's voice quality, using the same towers and Android phone.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to DrData

said by DrData:

Hello, thinking about getting a 4g usb modem and cradlepoint router. Was wondering how third party VOIP is working for you guys?

I'm currently using Clear Wimax and it works good, but the LTE speeds look much better.

Why would you want to give up Clear unlimited for CAPPED verizon LTE. I would rather have the slower clear then anything CAPPED no matter how fast it goes. You said clear was working good.

DrData
Premium
join:2004-12-31
Longwood, FL

I use the wireless connection at my office and don't use much data so the cap doesn’t really bother me, but when I download on occasion it would be nice to get the 25+Mbps that i see others getting.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to DrData

Why not get a 4620L LTE Jetpack instead of a USB modem and a Cradlepoint? You would have both a modem and a router in a very small package - and portable.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
reply to DrData

Can someone explain to me what Voip is?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by isp10002:

Can someone explain to me what Voip is?

(V)oice (o)ver IP (internet protocol).

It's basically using the internet to make and receive calls. If you're familiar with Vonage, that's what they use.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm