uniqs
share rss forum feed

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2

Line transfer question

If I want to transfer my number to my MJPlus is it hard to do? Will they still transfer it if its not an area code they offer?

I am thinking of getting an MJP for my mom but she wants her home number transferred to it which is 905-xxx-xxxx

Thanks
A.

lugnut

@look.ca

By all reports, if you transfer your number to MJ you never get it back again if you switch later on to someone else.

Personally I wouldn't recommend MJ as the only phone service for a senior anyway. Too unreliable for emergency service.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to Leathal

BTW, I just noticed that 905 number is a Canadian area code. MJ doesn't do porting of Canadian numbers anyway.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to Leathal

Just a warning to you. If you have a solid internet connection by all means get Magic Jack, but it will take forever if you ever want to leave them and port your number away. Currently I've been trying for 15 days to get my number ported back to the company I left to join Magic Jack which is Vonage. Read my review on Magic Jack to see why I'm leaving them

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

I'd love to see you update your review to not show all ratings to be 100%... And I'd also suggest you look into using GVJack/Google Voice with your MJ dongle. It won't work without a computer like MJ+, but the GVJack is a one-time payment of less than $20 and Google Voice is currently a free service.

Positive_guy

join:2012-12-11
Rochester, MN
reply to Leathal

$10 annual cost for MJ ported numbers

If you do port your number there is a $10/year "ported number" cost whenever you renew your MJ service (on top of your standard fees). If you do port an existing number away form MJ they will send an email stating there is a $30 fee to port the number away from MJ.. DO NOT PAY - this is illegal according to the FCC. URL is »www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-k···roviders

If they send you an email asking for $30 to port your number away from MJ file a complaint with the BBB. »www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/b···omplaint

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

I heard about something like that happening but it didn't happen to me. I waited 30 days to get the number ported. I wouldn't be surprised if Vonage dragged their feet getting the number ported until AFTER their 30 day no-strings attached agreement

clairaross

join:2012-11-22
Carrollton, TX
reply to Leathal

Re: Line transfer question

It will take time for the number to be ported.