dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
PremTechLife
join:2012-09-16

PremTechLife to WhyMe420

to WhyMe420

Re: Can I get some opinions on my 2WIRE training history.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience, and that you feel the need to gain retribution by lashing out at me. I don't appreciate the extreme over-exaggeration. In order for a network to be shielded, the cable, the jack, and the connector on the cable must all be shielded. Thats all I was referring to. With a nmr and max rate like I see here, I would not want to drop from 6 meg if it was my internet.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420

Premium Member

said by PremTechLife:

I am sorry you have had a bad experience, and that you feel the need to gain retribution by lashing out at me. I don't appreciate the extreme over-exaggeration. In order for a network to be shielded, the cable, the jack, and the connector on the cable must all be shielded. Thats all I was referring to. With a nmr and max rate like I see here, I would not want to drop from 6 meg if it was my internet.

Sorry but that's also not true. The shielded cat5e will NOT cause issues with the line, PERIOD. What you are describing is what is necessary to make the shielding MORE EFFECTIVE. It doesn't mean that if EVERYTHING isn't shielded that it will cause issues. Simply having the entire IW shielded accounts for 90% of the shielding. Shielding everything else is just extra shielding. Considering that much of IW isn't even twisted pair, shielded cat5e even without everything else being shielded is still a HUGE step up.

AT&T really has it down pat with all the techs and such blaming the IW at any chance they can get. It is their way of placing the blame on the CUSTOMER, and making the CUSTOMER either pay the EXTORTION fee for "Inside Wire Maintenance" or suffer charges for IW work that won't even FIX THE PROBLEM.

It is RARE for IW to go wrong, and chances are SLIM that a shielded cat5e homerun will cause issues with xDSL. FACE IT. The problem is OUTSIDE, AS ALWAYS in cases like this.

There is either simply too much distance between OP and the RT, or there are line ISSUES somewhere in between OP and the RT, OUTSIDE.

WHO WOULD want to drop their Internet to a lower speed? Not many. FACT OF THE MATTER IS that those stats are on the EDGE of 6Mbps service. NO ROOM FOR VARIANCES WHATSOEVER. Therefore the options are INTERLEAVING, DROP THE PROFILE RATE, or AT&T could actually FIX THE PROBLEM (if possible.)

THE PROBLEM IS, that AT&T is QUICK to LIE to you and BLAME YOU THE CUSTOMER for all problems. THEN if you don't fall for it, THEY SIMPLY TURN ON INTERLEAVING OR LOWER THE PROFILE RATE, without ACTUALLY DETERMINING if it is an OUTSIDE ISSUE (PAST the POLE DROP.)

They are CHEAP with the outside lines. They REFUSE to do ANY work on the outside lines, when AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Yes I know I am ranting, this is nothing PERSONAL with YOU, just AT&T's craptacular cheap tactics. AT&T is great WHEN IT WORKS, but lo-and-behold, if you have issues, DON'T expect AT&T to help you without a fight.
acillatem
join:2011-04-21
U.S.A.

acillatem to PremTechLife

to PremTechLife
Click for full size
said by PremTechLife:

In order for a network to be shielded, the cable, the jack, and the connector on the cable must all be shielded.

Just to clairify......in my case, it is. It's a shielded Cat5 home run, and the ground "tracer" wire is connected to the NID ground. The jack has a shielded keystone, and the patch cable from the jack to the RG is a Belkin shielded Cat5 cable. I've attached a picture, and it's not even the final job on the NID. A new drop from the pedestal to the NID was put in after the picture, and it was cleaned up even more, but you get the idea.
acillatem

1 edit

acillatem to WhyMe420

to WhyMe420

said by WhyMe420 See Profile
Sorry but that's also not true. The shielded cat5e will NOT cause issues with the line, PERIOD. What you are describing is what is necessary to make the shielding MORE EFFECTIVE. It doesn't mean that if EVERYTHING isn't shielded that it will cause issues. Simply having the entire IW shielded accounts for 90% of the shielding. Shielding everything else is just extra shielding. Considering that much of IW isn't even twisted pair, shielded cat5e even without everything else being shielded is still a HUGE step up.

AT&T really has it down pat with all the techs and such blaming the IW at any chance they can get. It is their way of placing the blame on the CUSTOMER, and making the CUSTOMER either pay the EXTORTION fee for "Inside Wire Maintenance" or suffer charges for IW work that won't even FIX THE PROBLEM.

It is RARE for IW to go wrong, and chances are SLIM that a shielded cat5e homerun will cause issues with xDSL. FACE IT. The problem is OUTSIDE, AS ALWAYS in cases like this.

There is either simply too much distance between OP and the RT, or there are line ISSUES somewhere in between OP and the RT, OUTSIDE.

WHO WOULD want to drop their Internet to a lower speed? Not many. FACT OF THE MATTER IS that those stats are on the EDGE of 6Mbps service. NO ROOM FOR VARIANCES WHATSOEVER. Therefore the options are INTERLEAVING, DROP THE PROFILE RATE, or AT&T could actually FIX THE PROBLEM (if possible.)

THE PROBLEM IS, that AT&T is QUICK to LIE to you and BLAME YOU THE CUSTOMER for all problems. THEN if you don't fall for it, THEY SIMPLY TURN ON INTERLEAVING OR LOWER THE PROFILE RATE, without ACTUALLY DETERMINING if it is an OUTSIDE ISSUE (PAST the POLE DROP.)

They are CHEAP with the outside lines. They REFUSE to do ANY work on the outside lines, when AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Yes I know I am ranting, this is nothing PERSONAL with YOU, just AT&T's craptacular cheap tactics. AT&T is great WHEN IT WORKS, but lo-and-behold, if you have issues, DON'T expect AT&T to help you without a fight.

Thank you. I couldn't describe AT&T better if I tried. The Tier II guy I've been emailing hasn't responded to the last few emails I sent over the last few days, and it's for the reason you mentioned........they just want to take the easy way out......interleaving.

PremTechLife
join:2012-09-16

PremTechLife to acillatem

to acillatem
Do you have a land line? I assume since one tab is a different color on the line module that it is a adsl splitter. I'd hope so, havent seen that one. Like the other poster said, I wouldn't imagine IW causing that many CRC errors. IF thats not an adsl splitter, and just a line module, you are bridgetapped to your red/green IW, not a HR. I have seen crc errors due to inside and outside bridgetap. Get it fixed, youre paying for it
acillatem
join:2011-04-21
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by PremTechLife:

Do you have a land line? I assume since one tab is a different color on the line module that it is a adsl splitter. I'd hope so, havent seen that one. Like the other poster said, I wouldn't imagine IW causing that many CRC errors. IF thats not an adsl splitter, and just a line module, you are bridgetapped to your red/green IW, not a HR. I have seen crc errors due to inside and outside bridgetap. Get it fixed, youre paying for it

It's an adsl splitter, beyond the shadow of any and all doubt.
»www.hometech.com/hts/pro ··· dsl.html