spc
Search similar:

uniqs

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

U600 for $34.99 and Sierra Overdrive for $59.99

Just happened to see these devices for 50% off at Radio Shack and Wal-mart.

Picked up a U600 just as a backup internet at wal-mart mostly because of the cheap 1Gb for $20.

After previously having a MC760 and its dismal internet speeds, I was leary of purchasing another VM device.

Nothing has changed. the Franklin U600 is a much newer device.
Same ole slow internet speeds as usual.
Just goes to prove SPRINT devices and VM devices DO NOT have the same priority on the same tower.

Signal was at 65 which is great, but speeds never topped 300kbps...must be a QOS thing.

Likewise, my straight-talk android phone on the Sprint network got a 1.4mpbs speed on a speedtest. too bad these don't have the hotspot feature.

I have to wonder is the Sierra Overdrive is any better?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

I'm grabbing an overdrive if they ever actually do the sale at my walmart, they still ring up 120... I'll report back what I find (it has the usb cable like they did with the mifi2200 so I am hoping it can act as a modem as well).

By the way... I had not had my VM activated in months due to AT&T service being so upgraded... but this last month I have met an AT&T tower that forced me to re-vive my VM account.

Saddest part is... you try to tell att about the issue, and you get scripts read back to you

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

It was funny at Wal-Mart yesterday..... they still had the U600 on the locked hooks for $84.88. When I questioned the price (because I knew there was a price reduction everywhere...and it was $34.98 on the website) the guy said arrogantly "Well, that's the price, if there had been a price change, I would have known about it, and it would have been changed"....Of course, the date on that tag was 6/19/12.

I said "Well, everyone else has it for the cheaper price". He said "Well, online prices are not the same as store prices".

Persistent, I said "Well, do you mind double checking it"... He huffed and puffed, logged into his price checker, and VOILA.
$34.98. I then replied "Well, Well, I guess someone didn't get their price changes done, eh". He pulls one off, hands it to me, and didn't even make me pay for it in electronics. Guess he was done with me.

I'd rather have had the OVERDRIVE myself. While the speeds might not be any better with the U600, at least I can place the overdrive places that have a better vantage point as far as signal.

you're right though, wal-mart still had the overdrive for $119....The tag in this store said $149.88. So "MR. I RUN A PERFECT ELECTRONICS DEPARTMENT" had TWO wrong prices.

***AMAZON.COM*** has the overdrive for $49.99!!!!!!!

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by compuguybna:

He said "Well, online prices are not the same as store prices".

They won't even pricematch their own website

Ordered. Will try to flip it onto an grandfathered unlimited plan when it gets here (yes I know I won't have wimax access, but there are no wimax towers where I am usually anyway).

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Good luck on debating converting that into an unlimited plan.
A new device wouldn't really be "grandfathered".

I decided not to order the overdrive. If I need internet acces away from home, I'll just use my smartphone. if it goes out at home, i'll use public wifi, or just piggyback off my neighbors wifi(with permission).

The deal was so enticing though....But Sprint needs to give their towers around here a data upgrade.

Keep posted about your "upgrade".
said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

He said "Well, online prices are not the same as store prices".

They won't even pricematch their own website

Ordered. Will try to flip it onto an grandfathered unlimited plan when it gets here (yes I know I won't have wimax access, but there are no wimax towers where I am usually anyway).

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by compuguybna:

Good luck on debating converting that into an unlimited plan.
A new device wouldn't really be "grandfathered".

I was under the impression the Account was grandfathered... not the device.

I know I have swapped like devices before and kept unlimited plan...

I'll report back if it lets me
Expand your moderator at work
dib22

dib22

Re: U600 for $34.99 and Sierra Overdrive for $59.99

OK I got the overdrive, I did swap it onto my grandfathered account... it does put a banner next to the plans that says the grandfathered plan will not allow 4G access... which is fine since I don't use this in any areas with 4G-Wimax.

It replaced an old mifi2200 and so far I'm pretty impressed... it seems to be much more capable router than the mifi was... of course it's a much newer device.

It does offer port forwarding and port triggering (the mifi2200 doesn't).

It has 2 antenna ports (3G and 4G-Wimax).

It can be used as a modem directly connected via usb, my mac picked up on it automatically and it connected. I haven't had a chance to try it on windows... but I did try it on my cradlepoint router as a device and it DOES NOT seem to work... will have to mess with that more later.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

good to know....