Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by jaberi:

HTC Amaze 4G

or

Iphone

BB10 -- it's supposed to be way better than the other two. LTE and also NFC. (iPhone doesn't have NFC)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
Avoid BB10 at all costs: it's a dead-end platform that in the best case will never be more than niche.

If you want an android, avoid the htc amaze 4g becuse it's an obsolete phone. There are much better android phones out there.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Guspaz:

Avoid BB10 at all costs: it's a dead-end platform that in the best case will never be more than niche.

Regardless of RIM's problems, you're not really in any sort of position to tell anyone to avoid something that isn't yet on the market.

As much as I am not naive to hold my breath, I am also not so arrogant to claim all is over. A lot can change in even a few months.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

Regardless of RIM's problems, you're not really in any sort of position to tell anyone to avoid something that isn't yet on the market.

As much as I am not naive to hold my breath, I am also not so arrogant to claim all is over. A lot can change in even a few months.

The phones will do well, remember the BB service isn't going anywhere, if you think the "market" is going to allow that lucrative service to disappear, the naysayers have another thing coming to them.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to jaberi
To be fair, the fact that BB10 isn't out is the biggest reason it's not an option. If you can't get it, you have to get something else.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Guspaz:

To be fair, the fact that BB10 isn't out is the biggest reason it's not an option. If you can't get it, you have to get something else.

And that in itself is a completely valid argument to make, but one shouldn't be making claims about dead-end niche platforms when the product hasn't even had a chance to prove itself in the market.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I already outlined why I think the BB10 will be a hit, if it's competitively priced, the "kids" will jump at a decent priced touch screen phone they can BBM with.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by elwoodblues:

I already outlined why I think the BB10 will be a hit, if it's competitively priced, the "kids" will jump at a decent priced touch screen phone they can BBM with.

... and BB10's multitasking capabilities are so far and away better than anything iOS or Android can do that it will most likely be a far better OS overall than anything on the market right now.

The real question is whether RIM can market it. If they can, they won't be going away any time soon. One must also remember that all it takes is one product screwup by anyone else - be it Apple, Samsung, Google, whoever - that the entire dynamic can change and a company can find themselves going from the top to the bottom very fast, as RIM already has learned.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

I chalk it up to a form of fanboyism or some reverse form of fanboyism and a need for someone to convey themselves as an expert. I typically wait until I've used something before I give advise on whether or not it's a usable device.

I had to chuckle at 'dead end platform'... will phone communications be replaced by telepathic communications? I hope so, I'll understand women much better than I do now.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
said by urbanriot:

I had to chuckle at 'dead end platform'... will phone communications be replaced by telepathic communications? I hope so, I'll understand women much better than I do now.

Nah, by that time we'll have figured out how to create false images just to screw you around.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Fat chance, you'll be more confused than ever if you could read their minds.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to jaberi
Right now if you need the phone today, and not 6 months from now -
Top choice - Samsung Galaxy S3
Next - Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
3rd - iPhone 5
4th - HTC One X
5th - (esp if you want a keyboard) Blackberry Torch 9810

If you can wait 6 months:
I have no idea as every manufacturer other than Apple will have new devices out. But I wouldn't count out the BB10 devices, the next Samsung Galaxy phone, an iPhone "5s" or whatever, and perhaps something newer from Motorola or HTC..

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to jaberi
The LG Optimus G was just launched, it's roughly twice as fast as any other phone on the market. It's got a quad-core Krait, which is roughly double the performance of a quad-core A9 (as found in Tegra 3) or a dual-core Krait (as found in Samsung Galaxy S III) or A6 (as found in the iPhone 5, since the A6 cores are vaguely similar to the Krait in performance).

The big question will be battery life from having such as massive CPU, but it's smaller in every dimension than the SGS3 and is supposed to be available within a week, IIRC.

EDIT: Bell/Rogers/Telus in "early November"
--

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to Hydraglass
thanks for all of your input, ran into someone who had HTC Amaze 4 it's a lot heavier than the iPhone, and the person said they are just so happy with it....of course me not knowing the difference i looked at some of the pictures they showed me, and there was someone with an iPhone who photographed their dinner plate.....the iPhone picture was so sharp in comparison to the HTC Amaze....the camera would not be a deal breaker for me...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
That is mainly just because the amaze is an old outdated phone. Newer smartphone cameras will be much better, be they Iphone or android.
--

jaberi

said by Guspaz:

That is mainly just because the amaze is an old outdated phone. Newer smartphone cameras will be much better, be they Iphone or android.

sadly i would not know the difference, that is why i ask here....i do like the look of the iPhone though, nice sleek device....i accidentally stumbled into some talk where this one person said they had many cell phones but nothing sucked more than the iPhone and it always acted up when the warranty was obsolete...back and forth they went to the apple store, not to mention their macbook and having to pay for support....

jaberi

reply to Hydraglass
there is "samsung note" as well, and the new samsung note 2 has just come out or am i wrong...both of the note 1 and 2 have a wider screen tha the galaxy S3?

am i correct, and how would these "note" compare with the galaxy S3?

thanks!

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to jaberi
oh, wow, forgot about this thread. No wonder I felt deja-vu a few days ago.

jaberi, it's been a 1 month anniversary, no phone yet?

Don't tell me you're waiting for something better to come out 'next month'

jaberi

waiting for the next best and cheaper release....:)

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
You on any kind of contract with renewals that can subsidize your decision? I pay Bell through the nose so I can get a free phone every 3 years... yippeee....

jmacd27
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON
reply to jaberi
Click for full size
I've had the Note 2 for a few weeks now, and it is fantastic. It replaced my aging Nexus S. The performance and features are more than I expected. Battery life is awesome, I can easily go 24hrs with normal use without charging, my Nexus S would last 8hrs with the same use. The size seems overwhelming at first, but you do adjust and other phones seem too small once you are used to it.

jaberi

jmacd27.............incidentally, i was browsing at one of those rogers kiosque and asked how much is that phone to buy, the guy said we don't sell them....i inquired why, and he said it is the policy they have with samsung on any new hardware that is released...only on a plan, but they don't have the note 2 yet....
but that is one nice looking gadget.

jaberi

reply to urbanriot
right, you earned your phones urbanriot.....i was looking to go without a plan, waiting to see what the samsung note 2 will go for...either with plan or without plan...they better not release anything new before i get the note 2...