Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to mbernste

Re: iOS 6 Release Time

OK, done and iOS 6 is installed.

However, the Walking Dead App has none of my in app book purchases. I bought issues 101, 100, 99, 98, 97 and I think 96. I just bought issue 102 when I noticed none of the previous purchases show-up in the app. There is no option to re-download them only buy.

Not sure what else is wrong,….

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

iPhone is updated. Although it's physically connected to the computer, it no longer appears as a device in iTunes 10.6.3

Mine does. iTunes 10.6.3.25 on Windows at work.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to mbernste

I had Siri turned off since it was useless. I turned it on to try it out now. All I get is:

You can start using Siri soon.
Siri is adding new users every day. You will receive an alert when you can start using Siri.

Huh?
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to mbernste

I just got my alert, the bitch is available now

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to mbernste

I -- REALLY -- hate the blue background color now shown in setup and in the messaging app.

Also -- is Google Maps available as a separate download? I couldn't find it but would like to keep it handy.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by PhoenixDown:

Also -- is Google Maps available as a separate download? I couldn't find it but would like to keep it handy.

Not that I could find in app store. The closest is Google Earth, which also has maps.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

said by FFH:

said by PhoenixDown:

Not that I could find in app store. The closest is Google Earth, which also has maps.

Gruber brought up an interesting point about Maps. What if Google refuses to release an iOS maps app to show that Apple Maps sucks in comparison?

Don't be evil™ ...my ass.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by BellBoy:

said by FFH:

said by PhoenixDown:

Gruber brought up an interesting point about Maps. What if Google refuses to release an iOS maps app to show that Apple Maps sucks in comparison?

Don't be evil™ ...my ass.

The traffic functionality of the new maps app sucks in comparison. Good thing I have the Beat the Traffic App.
--

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

Damn it says I need 2.7GB of available storage in order to update,……

Is that for OTA updates only or could I get away with less free space if it were through iTunes,….?

I only have 1.1GB free, not sure where I would get the other 1.6GB,….

I had the same situation. I deleted facebook (seeing as I was getting it back anyway), books I didn't read and probably wouldn't (bye bye Yellow Submarine) and all those free songs just to test my music player. After that I had the necessary space with room to spare.

Q: Of all the tunes I had (deleted) on my phone, are they on my cloud or are they gone (Jim)?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to Octavean

I'm doing it OTA on my iPhone 4 over my work wireless network and it's already failed once.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to Andy from CA

stuff never disappears, it comes back when you iTunes sync

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by PhoenixDown:

I also have Bing for iPad on my device & it has a very good maps section.
--

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to mbernste

I like the look of the new Maps app and it seems to render quickly. I do miss Streetview though. I'm very surprised to see 3D maps for my city. The downtown office towers show up nicely.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by Stacy:

iPhone is updated. Although it's physically connected to the computer, it no longer appears as a device in iTunes 10.6.3

Mine does. iTunes 10.6.3.25 on Windows at work.

Reconnecting the USB cable and restarting iTunes seems to have solved the problem.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by FFH:

said by PhoenixDown:

I also have Bing for iPad on my device & it has a very good maps section.

Most apps that have maps actually use the system supplied maps. So they all get upgraded to the new maps in iOS 6.

I wonder if google will release a new app?

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

SWEET! Thank you.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

I thought all my pictures disappeared but I connected to wifi and it downloaded them from the cloud. whew.
--
(Insert political rant here)

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by FFH:

said by FFH:

iOS 6 downloading to my iPad3 thru WiFi as I type this.

Download finished. Rebooted. Install running.

All finished. Annoyingly, it made me go to my PC to update my Apple store password before the startup setup would let me go forward.

So far everything OK. Beginning to check out Siri on iPad, which wasn't avail before. And the new maps.

One problem I encountered was that WiFi sync didn't work until after I did a wired connect to iTunes 1st after the new install. WiFi sync is now working as designed.
--

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

said by haroldo:

SWEET! Thank you.

at times and a PITA at others...like when you want to get rid of something and it reappears on sync (if you're not paying attention to the boxes)

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to mbernste

Update went fast and painless. Maps put me in my next door neighbors house then it corrected its self.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to mbernste

2 iPhones and 1 iPad up to date on iOS 6...

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to mjhouser

said by mjhouser:

Maps put me in my next door neighbors house then it corrected its self.

Kind of normal, after it does the WiFi location, it adds in the GPS as it gets it.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

No. And it may not be available ever.

»searchengineland.com/google-maps-ios-133741

Will Google release its own Google Maps app for iOS 6 users? The company, in its latest statement, remains unclear.

I asked Google today if we’d be getting a Google Maps app, and if so, when and also if it would include turn-by-turn navigation. Here’s what I was sent back:

We believe Google Maps are the most comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps in the world. Our goal is to make Google Maps available to everyone who wants to use it, regardless of device, browser, or operating system.
Let’s parse the statement. It sounds like Google wants its own app for iOS 6 — hence the “regardless of device” part. But it’s not confirming that this will happen soon or why it’s not already happened.

Is Apple somehow blocking it? If so, Google’s not saying. Is Google holding back for some strange reason? Again, we just don’t know.

Stay tuned.

Google Maps, of course, remains in iOS 6 via the browser. It’s a less convenient way of using it, but it even offers features such as traffic

--

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to mbernste

I'm liking that when you update an app it doesn't automatically kick you out of the app store. That was frustrating to me.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to mbernste

And finally you can re-order your mail inboxes.

Being able to receive iMessages on an iPad by phone number now makes it finally useful. I never used iMessage on my iPad before today.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

The traffic functionality of the new maps app sucks in comparison. Good thing I have the Beat the Traffic App.

"Suck" doesn't even begin to describe the new Maps. How about Google 1999? How about hard to read? How about imprecise? Google would have your location nailed right to the street number. This piece of crap is no better than a postal code locater. Bah!
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
reply to aztecnology

My iPad 3 mounted on the desktop but shows 0 bytes available. Is there a new "Disk Use" feature I hadn't heard about?

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by donoreo:

"Suck" doesn't even begin to describe the new Maps. How about Google 1999? How about hard to read? How about imprecise? Google would have your location nailed right to the street number. This piece of crap is no better than a postal code locater. Bah!

I noticed that a lot of the data (probably the navigation) is from TomTom, various others and DMTI Spatial. A friend of mine worked for DMTI at their head office in Markham. It also included Ordnance Survey map data, so the UK maps probably are good.
--

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

My iPad 3 mounted on the desktop but shows 0 bytes available. Is there a new "Disk Use" feature I hadn't heard about?

Sort of -- its under General -> Usage. One of the options will give you the disk space left and give you the biggest apps hogging it up. You can delete from there.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

No, I was thinking "Disk Use" iPod style.