darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to haroldo

Re: [Poll] iOS 6 is it okay to upgrade

That was a big part of the tipping point; that and I'm curious about the new layout for the store(s).
--
♬ Music is life ♬

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to haroldo

Safari on the iPad has been just funky since the upgrade. I don't know what to make of it.
--
| map your city |

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

Safari tabs on iCloud is really cool! Open iPad and see what you were looking at on OS X Safari.
Each device sees the other's tabs....cool!

Paul928

join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA
reply to haroldo

Just upgraded, and everything seemed to go well so far. Not to crazy about the maps, as it seems to put me in the wrong spot....maybe a few hundred yards away..... Tried Siri and all I can say is *yawn* I just can't see what all the hopala is about it....maybe it's me, but I'm not impressed....if there is one plus to the upgrade, it appears to be a little "snappier," but that may be my imagination.

haroldo

united state

Siri is okay for some things, like setting up reminders or appointments or waking you up. As far as web searching....

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

said by GuruGuy:

Well after sitting on top of the desk for about an hour, I picked up the phone and opened the photos.....all the albums are magically back now.

another Festivus Miracle!

Or a true application of the laying on of hands...
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

haroldo

united state
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

Yeah, it's great, they add people...or unify them (if they're already a contact).

Contacts on iOS are comingled with Facebook, but not Contacts on OSX...cloud slow?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to haroldo

Looking good. Definitely Teh Snappy™.

iTunes/App Store definitely slow, though, for sure.

My iPhone 4 Maps app has turn-by-turn directions without speaking and no 3D satellite renders, if anyone is curious.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

Biting the bullet and upgrading my iPad2 (it was jailbroken but the only bit I ever used was SBSettings); my curiosity for iOS 6 has gotten the better of me...

Well, looks like I'm going to have to wait until I get home (or longer). I'm not sure if it's the flaky wifi at work or if the Apple servers are overloaded but trying to upgrade over-the-air has failed three times (the first two times, though, I think it was because I only had 2.2 GB of free space; I freed up even more space and got further in the process but still had a "downloading" failure during the "update" process, supposedly after it was done "downloading" -- seems like the wrong error message was displayted).
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to haroldo

Don't plan on upgrading because ipad doesn't quality to get it. I don't know how i can get it. I have the original ipad.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to haroldo

Crippled my iPhone 4 and broke my mom's iPad 2 WiFi.

Runs pretty solid on my iPad 3 though. Siri is pretty bad why does anyone use that?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

Siri is okay for some things, like setting up reminders or appointments or waking you up. As far as web searching....

It just worked fine for me from my iPad. I asked it for Phillies schedule and it pulled up today's game with the Mets and the box score. I then asked who was Phillies starting pitcher and it gave me the pitchers for both Phil's and Mets.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Don't plan on upgrading because ipad doesn't quality to get it. I don't know how i can get it. I have the original ipad.

Not available for original iPad. But it is available for iPad 2 & 3. Siri only works with iPad 3.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/
Expand your moderator at work

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to haroldo

Re: [Poll] iOS 6 is it okay to upgrade

I haven't voted yet, don't have enough time in drivers seat yet

In my work, addresses often can't get me where I need to go so we use GPS coodinates
I plug the longs/lats in googlemaps and it puts a pin on it and a have it draw a path I use to get me there

Apple maps doesn't know what to do with longs/lats
That alone will keep me off ios6on my phone

So far I like it on my iPad2
Time will tell

How can I tell Apple what I would find as a helpful additional funtion with one of their Apps?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
reply to haroldo

Having to do a complete restore on my wife's 4 after the OTA update said it has to connect to itunes. She is not amused.....

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to haroldo

I may just need to get used to it, but I'm not super thrilled with Apple Maps.

It seems slower and clunkier.

Many times when I try to pinch and zoom, it tries to do a 3d perspective move. This gets irritating when I'm just trying to locate a spot in a 2D space.

The flyover feature is a nice technical feat, but I'm driving, not playing a flight simulation game. Google's street view is a lot more practical when I want to actually see what the buildings look like when I arrive at my destination.

With Google I was able to get street-level traffic info easily. I don't see that with Apple's implementation.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Paul928

join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

said by djrobx:

I may just need to get used to it, but I'm not super thrilled with Apple Maps.

It seems slower and clunkier.

Many times when I try to pinch and zoom, it tries to do a 3d perspective move. This gets irritating when I'm just trying to locate a spot in a 2D space.

The flyover feature is a nice technical feat, but I'm driving, not playing a flight simulation game. Google's street view is a lot more practical when I want to actually see what the buildings look like when I arrive at my destination.

With Google I was able to get street-level traffic info easily. I don't see that with Apple's implementation.

I agree... The new maps suck!! Google Maps are 100 times better and useful. also what the hell happened to YouTube, we lost that as well? I have to access it through the browser...what a pain! I did a search and saw that there is an app for YouTube, but its for the iPhone, and not the iPad!!! They call this an "upgrade?"

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to haroldo

I haven't looked into this much. Is it also for first gen Ipads? Or just phones?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

iPad 2 and newer
iPhone 3GS and newer
iPod touch 4G and newer
»www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

Thank you.

alightfoot
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Hilliard, OH
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

Having to do a complete restore on my wife's 4 after the OTA update said it has to connect to itunes. She is not amused.....

I had a similar experience. The first time I tried to restore, it failed. Fortunately, the second time worked fine, but I freaked.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by alightfoot:

said by ptrowski:

I had a similar experience. The first time I tried to restore, it failed. Fortunately, the second time worked fine, but I freaked.

I read your story, that stinks. I was up 2.5 hours later than I normally go to sleep just trying to get her phone to a usable state. Tried restoring 6 times before it finally went through. What a cluster....
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
reply to haroldo

»www.bbc.com/news/technology-19659736

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Good timing. My wife just noticed the new maps app, asked me how she can go back to google maps....explained that she can't...
If momma aint happy.....

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ptrowski:

Good timing. My wife just noticed the new maps app, asked me how she can go back to google maps....explained that she can't...
If momma aint happy.....

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

»theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

This is what Apple gets for thinking they can do something better than Google.
--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

I realize Google has been developing their data for many years but Apple couldn't at least have used an established maps database? Maybe they have and their implementation is just bad? But even where the mapping is available the quality of the images are truly awful. That's before you worry about places missing, etc.

Betting now Apple makes zero statements on this. Remember, they hardly ever admit when they've effed up.

Maps is so integrated in so many apps this is a really bad move by Apple.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON

They're using maps from TomTom and other sources. It's not very good though actually. There are a lot of places I've searched for that it can't find. It couldn't route me to the Toronto Zoo from my house. Plus I believe the Google Maps in iOS 5 had street view while the new Apple Maps doesn't.

I hope they are dedicated to making this good, not just barely good enough.

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA

1 edit
reply to haroldo

I haven't noticed any problems. Upgrade iPad 3. I mean New iPad.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

I realize Google has been developing their data for many years but Apple couldn't at least have used an established maps database? Maybe they have and their implementation is just bad? But even where the mapping is available the quality of the images are truly awful. That's before you worry about places missing, etc.

Betting now Apple makes zero statements on this. Remember, they hardly ever admit when they've effed up.

Maps is so integrated in so many apps this is a really bad move by Apple.

Microsoft, Google, and Nokia are the only companies that have good infrastructure for maps.

Subpar companies like tomtom can't even come close to matching it.
--