Re: [Poll] iOS 6 is it okay to upgrade

Thank you.

alightfoot
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Hilliard, OH
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

Having to do a complete restore on my wife's 4 after the OTA update said it has to connect to itunes. She is not amused.....

I had a similar experience. The first time I tried to restore, it failed. Fortunately, the second time worked fine, but I freaked.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

said by alightfoot:

said by ptrowski:

Having to do a complete restore on my wife's 4 after the OTA update said it has to connect to itunes. She is not amused.....

I had a similar experience. The first time I tried to restore, it failed. Fortunately, the second time worked fine, but I freaked.

I read your story, that stinks. I was up 2.5 hours later than I normally go to sleep just trying to get her phone to a usable state. Tried restoring 6 times before it finally went through. What a cluster....
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to haroldo

»www.bbc.com/news/technology-19659736

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Good timing. My wife just noticed the new maps app, asked me how she can go back to google maps....explained that she can't...
If momma aint happy.....

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ptrowski:

Good timing. My wife just noticed the new maps app, asked me how she can go back to google maps....explained that she can't...
If momma aint happy.....

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

»theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

This is what Apple gets for thinking they can do something better than Google.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

I realize Google has been developing their data for many years but Apple couldn't at least have used an established maps database? Maybe they have and their implementation is just bad? But even where the mapping is available the quality of the images are truly awful. That's before you worry about places missing, etc.

Betting now Apple makes zero statements on this. Remember, they hardly ever admit when they've effed up.

Maps is so integrated in so many apps this is a really bad move by Apple.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON

They're using maps from TomTom and other sources. It's not very good though actually. There are a lot of places I've searched for that it can't find. It couldn't route me to the Toronto Zoo from my house. Plus I believe the Google Maps in iOS 5 had street view while the new Apple Maps doesn't.

I hope they are dedicated to making this good, not just barely good enough.

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA

1 edit
reply to haroldo

I haven't noticed any problems. Upgrade iPad 3. I mean New iPad.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

I realize Google has been developing their data for many years but Apple couldn't at least have used an established maps database? Maybe they have and their implementation is just bad? But even where the mapping is available the quality of the images are truly awful. That's before you worry about places missing, etc.

Betting now Apple makes zero statements on this. Remember, they hardly ever admit when they've effed up.

Maps is so integrated in so many apps this is a really bad move by Apple.

Microsoft, Google, and Nokia are the only companies that have good infrastructure for maps.

Subpar companies like tomtom can't even come close to matching it.
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to haroldo

The Apple Map application is absolute and utter shit.

Be glad Steve Jobs is dead because this would have killed him.

Who cut off who? Did Google or Apple sever the tie? The fact that this map application is so incomplete, it almost looks like Apple got boned by Google.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.

Apple's contract with Google to license Google Maps/YouTube ran out. Google probably wanted more money, Apple said no and decided to go with the map companies they have been buying for a few years now.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.

»www.theverge.com/2012/8/6/322377···ube-ios6

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to haroldo

I will not be upgrading my iPad 2, for the Maps reason alone.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to haroldo

Sucks ass, particularly the App Store app. Huge thumbnails for the search results make finding stuff impossible. Purchased videos aren't showing up either under the purchased tab. Download tab gone. They fixed stuff that wasn't broken and now it's WAY worse than it used to be. Apple is going backward again just as they did with Mountain Lion.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mromero

Great article. I really hope Google charges $0.99-$2.99 for Google Maps on ios. It deserves it and it'll be a nice burn to Apple.
--

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to haroldo

Until there's a jailbreak, I won't even consider it. An iPhone without jailbreak is just another overpriced smartphone.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike

I'm going through the same thing with Youtube. My media "disappeared", wiped during the upgrade and despite being synced with itunes, my videos didn't actually get resynced. So when I was at the gym this morning I figured I'd just watch youtube...oh yeah, youtube app gone and the Web interface for youtube blows goat. So off to find the youtube app. Good luck. With the new giant thumbnails and NO LIST VIEW in search it makes finding Google's app impossible. It's buried in the 400+ results looking at them 4 at a time. Sort by relevance? Yeah, no where to be found. Popularity? Nope. Even going by "other stuff from google" you can't find it. I ended up finding it by doing a Google web search for a link to it in store but of course it won't DL because the app store is buried with traffic.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike

I'm going through the same thing with Youtube. My media "disappeared", wiped during the upgrade and despite being synced with itunes, my videos didn't actually get resynced. So when I was at the gym this morning I figured I'd just watch youtube...oh yeah, youtube app gone and the Web interface for youtube blows goat. So off to find the youtube app. Good luck. With the new giant thumbnails and NO LIST VIEW in search it makes finding Google's app impossible. It's buried in the 400+ results looking at them 4 at a time. Sort by relevance? Yeah, no where to be found. Popularity? Nope. Even going by "other stuff from google" you can't find it. I ended up finding it by doing a Google web search for a link to it in store but of course it won't DL because the app store is buried with traffic. Nothing will download, everything is hanging and you can't stop the hung download without rebooting.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Until there's a jailbreak, I won't even consider it. An iPhone without jailbreak is just another overpriced smartphone.

Amen x10. My jailbroken 4s right now is absolutely perfect.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to haroldo

My iOS 6 (on iPad2) issue of the day:

I'm trying to re-download my purchased music and other than 6 tracks that the iTunes store wanted me to re-authorize by pretending to re-purchase them, it went okay except for one REALLY annoying thing. I can not get a download option for six releases from one artist that I have already purchased. The purchased tab shows the artist but tapping that just brings up the infinite spinner. If I go to the store and view those releases, none of the tracks have the download button, just the price/purchase button.

BUT if I use my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.x (jailbroken) and go to the purchased tab (where I can actually search within just the purchased, not so with iOS 6 which forces you to browse), the exact same releases show up as downloadable.

Bah.

I've rebooted the iPad and have signed out and signed back in on the iPad. No joy
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

Having downloaded the Fandango app yesterday as one that works with Passbook, it is now showing up this afternoon under Updates for me but with the 'open' button you get once a download is complete. Nothing I do clears it from the Updates tab. After the initial download yesterday it cleared from Updates as it should but today it's back.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC
reply to haroldo

I have no plans to upgrade to iOS 6 because I like Google Maps with street view. Unless Apple Maps introduces street view, forget it!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to haroldo

Just tried out iOS 6 on my iPad 3 while the 5.1.1 resigning window is still open. No issues with the upgrade. Restore from iCloud took about 15 minutes on my 10Mbps connection.

Overall it's a nice upgrade, but not sure I see anything that's going to keep me from going back to 5.1.1 for now (jailbreak is better than the new features). I love the Turn by Turn navigation and Siri is a lot better. The new iTunes store is significantly better. App store upgrade is so-so. iCloud tabs is the one "killer" feature that may convince me to give up the jailbreak in a few days/weeks after I don't have it anymore. The other thing I was really looking forward to was proper iMessage unification on all platforms (even when sent to a phone number). Unfortunately that seems to require iOS 6 on the phone itself for some reason, so I won't be enjoying that for quite some time - I need my phone to be jailbroken.

I can see why so many people are complaining about the Maps app. When it works, it works very nicely and does provide more useful traffic/routing information, imo. But when it fails, it does so spectacularly. Google Maps has been around for what feels like ages now, so it doesn't have as many of those issues anymore. I think once Apple works out the bugs and improves the quality of map data, it'll be a great alternative to Google Maps. I'm hoping that's a matter of weeks.. not months or years, but who knows. It'll really need a web interface or OS X app to completely replace google for me though. The loss of transit directions is quite disappointing.

Fun to play around with for a few hours. Back to 5.1.1.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

Auto-Brightness no longer works as far as I can tell under iOS6. A quick Google brings up lots of discussion threads. In my case it's on a 4S but it's being reported even on 5s. It's working fine on my iPad 2.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Curiosity

Apple is working on the map issues