how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

WindowsMediaCenter and XBox re HBO

Anyone using WMC to record HBO programs? I added Showtime and HBO recently, but everytime I record an HBO program and try to play back on my TV using the XBox as an extender, I get the same message (obviously I am using a cablecard as the tuner). That "this program can only be played on the machine it was recorded on".
HBO is the only channel giving me this problem and surely it is a mistake as this is how WMC and an XBox have always been inteded to work together to view contact on a TV. HBO and MS work together as the XBox is a designated way to receive HBOGO. So why this problem between WMC and an XBox?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

The CCI flag is set to copy-once for HBO/Cinemax on FiOS. If the XBox is decoding the CCI flag as a 2nd copy, it is refusing to play it back. That's why you can only watch it on the WMC PC.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to IanR

On the Xbox 360, are you trying to watch your recordings in Windows Media Center or through the Xbox Dashboard?

In Media Center mode everything is decoded on the PC and then streamed to the Xbox just for viewing.

If using the Xbox Dashboard the PC is just hosting the recording file (.WTV) and the Xbox is doing all the decoding.

Copy protected content requires that the PC that created the recording is the only device that can decode it. This requires viewing inside Media Center on the Xbox to watch protected recordings.

Unless you don't like it you should ideally be using your Xbox in WMC mode to add all live TV channels, guide info, program searching, and DVR functionality all on your Xbox 360 powered by your PC.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

To be honest I am not sure what is meant by XBox "dashboard"?

I am signing into "XBox Live", going to "Video" and clicking on the WMC App which connects the XBox through to WMC and shows what I would see on the desktop.
So I think this means that when I click on a WMC recorded program it is WMC which does the decoding and streams to the XBox? Is my understanding correct from the above?

Off topic I find the XBox an incredible media machine and it's ability to link with my desktop, not jst to WMC amazes me. It found all my music and pictures w/o my even instructing it. Then all the other apps and stuff make it very versatile. It beats me why Microsoft does not PUSH the device even more. I like my Roku also but I find that streaming pictures from the same source show better thru the XBox. Such as Netfix...

Zero

Collegeville, PA

Yes you're correct that's using WMC to play recorded TV just like you would on your desktop.

What I meant by Xbox dashboard is that it's also possible to playback .WTV (recorded TV files) on the Xbox without going inside the WMC interface. You don't get all the functionality with WMC if you do that but the recording will at least play if it's not copy protected.

After reading your other posts in the Microsoft forum about this issue it sounds like your issue is all coming from your CableCARD.

rantanamo

@verizon.net

make sure your cablecard is paired. Make sure you can tune channel 131. If not, its probably needs to be re-paired.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR

Right now Verizon are sending me a new CableCard as it has developed an issue of not allowing me to even watch HBO and Showtime. Is this related? Unsure, but when I get the new card installed (Friday or Saturday) I will start all over.

Zero,

Thanks for the input. Yes the "dashboard" and apps contain lotsa gems. I just also downloaded the HBOGO app and this provides for streaming of an amazing library of HBO materials a, shows and films. I also watch ESPN3 on the XBox, I find the streaming BETTER than thru Roku.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR

Well my troubles get worse...

Got the new CableCard and went through the self install and activation "succesfully".
But..
1) WMC found only 78 channels far worse than with the "bad" cable card. Certainly no Preiums,not even ESPN2 or Golf channel. Loads missing.
Basically only getting some (not all) broadcast channels.
All kinds of blue screen fault notifications in place of missing channels.
My PC is not compatible or is not digital ready!!!!
Or I am not subscribed!!!!
Not allowed to Copy...
Even 131 has disappeared after the activation was "succesful".
Horrors:(
Lovely how these random messages turn up.

Same on HDTV via XBox extender.
Back to music from Verizon.

Zero

Collegeville, PA

Could it be the tuner that's actually causing your issues? Which tuner is it?

2 CableCARDs in a row not working right if they're correctly and successfully activated (and your first CableCARD used to work fine) is starting to point to something else being the issue...

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

2 edits

The tuner is a SiliconDevices HDHomeRun Prime.
This device shows signal quality and such like are fine.

I have just been on to Verizon tech support for an hour. They cannot find a way to remotely get either the old, or the new, cablecard to get me a full range of channels. I cannot even see channel 131 any more. I am getting some broadcast channels such as 502//4/7 etc. I can get ESPN (570), but not the other ESPN channels, not Speed, not Golf and certainly neither Showtime or HBO.
They are going to send a physical tech guy to my house to run more checks on site. I just hope I get a good one. I suspect they will swap CCs in and out of my TIVO to use this as a tester for the CCs.

I guess an issue with the CableCard reader is possible, but I feel this is not the issue as why am I getting about 40% of the channels?

I have now an open trouble ticket with SD.

I have updated their firmware to the latest Beta which apparently has resolved some people's prior issues re missing channels, but I get exactly the same channels.

Somehow or other the tiers which I pay for are not beling allowed to be listed or viewed. This to me sounds like a Verizon issue.

Talking with Verizon the definition of the words "succesfully activated" seems variable. Seems that even when they get the "success" from their systems the real work all is not always completed as it should.

Zero

Collegeville, PA

said by IanR:

They are going to send a physical tech guy to my house to run more checks on site. I just hope I get a good one. I suspect they will swap CCs in and out of my TIVO to use this as a tester for the CCs.

I would if I were the tech to rule out that the CableCARD itself is activating and working properly in a device that's known to work 100% with a CableCARD. I take it HBO/Cinemax are working and recording properly on the TiVo?

Do you mind posting or PMing me the HDHomeRun's logs? I've installed all the current PC CableCARD tuners (WinTV-DCR-2650, HDHomeRun Prime, InfiniTV 4 PCIe & USB) with FiOS so I might be able to point something out in the logs.

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY
reply to IanR

said by IanR:

I suspect they will swap CCs in and out of my TIVO to use this as a tester for the CCs.

If your cablecard works in the Tivo, you should be able to swap it into the HD Homerun and get every channel except for HBO/Cinemax and 131 without pairing. If you don't get all the other channels then the HDHR is probably defective and you should ask Silicon Dust to replace it.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

The base problem seems to affect everything above a basic broadcast type level (approximate) appears logged as "access = not-subscribed".
This includes loads of channels from ESPNs to CNBC, CNN, Speed, SyFy, Golf and above. Let alone real premiums like Showtime and HBO where the isuues first started.

I would have thought this to be a Verizon issue relative to their systems of authentication re what I should be getting and am subscribed to, rather than the CableCard reader itself?

Hopefully I will find out when the tech rings my door bell and does his work.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR

The tech has been and spent 1 1/2 hours here.

It quickly became apparent that ALL the channels I was seeing where being found and shown by my HDHRPrime via it's ClearQAM tuner. And the actual CC was never being properly "'activated" not matter what the system was saying.
Tech finally called a high level tech support and between the 2 of them they managed to get the card truly "activated". Thats the 3rd card, the card the tech had in his truck.
Even he had no idea why the 3 cablecards were being so problematic.

I ran thru loads of channels and found them working including Showtime... Of course (dummy me) after he left I realised I had not checked out HBO and of course I cannot see live TV on any HBO channnel. I checked out about 30 channels while he was here and misssed this. Sigh.

I get a screen saying the "card needs to be activated" Sigh....
HDHRPrime lists the HBO channels as "access enabled". Guess another call to tech support.

Why me? LOL.

Zero

Collegeville, PA

Give the FiOS TV activation # 1-888-897-7499 a try before you call the FSC.

All that should be wrong with the card now is that it isn't paired to your tuner (assuming VZ fixed your first issue). HBO/Cinemax require pairing because they're copy protected. If they're the only channels that you can't watch then that's probably your only issue left. The quick call to the automated activation line will "reactivate" your CableCARD and you'll need to dial in your CableCARD ID, Host ID, and Data numbers from your tuner for them to pair.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

Yup makes sense.

Now I have dug another hole for myself. Just hasn't been my weekend;)

WMC showed a fault when attempting to play thru the XBox. It basically failed to play and said there was a corrupted file.
OK so I went to the Control Panel and got to a list of programs.
A heading said I could uninstall and/or repair. I checked out this and repair means it saves your settings etc. and rewrites the program in it's entirety.
Didn't sound too bad and I was supposed to click "uninstall" and get the "repair option".. No such luck. No "repair" option turned up and I have now DELETED WMC. Sigh.

I use Windows 7 Home Prime edition which comes with WMC, I can't fnd where to go to redownload WMC?

Zero

Collegeville, PA

Go to "Programs and Features" in Control Panel, then on the left side you'll see "Turn Windows features on or off" and expand Media Features and you can check off Windows Media Center and click OK.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

Thanks.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR

OK more on FIOS and HBO.

Almost everything my end is working, except I don't get HBO, nor can I see their info page "131". i.e Showtime is fine etc.

1 1/2 hours on with Verizon Tech support. They deactivated the CC and reactivated it and had a huge problem they cannot read the Data ID numbers etc off the card via their system! So I had to supply it. First they lost be all the channels and after loads of work they got me back to square one i.e. everything is live, but I cannot see either channel "131" or HBO.

Note using the HDHomeRun GUI I can see the data for each channel. Both "131" and HBO SHow what looks like fine numbers to me. Signal strength betwee 93-98% Quailty etc 100% even Network 2.300 Mbps is shown.

Verizon told me that the issue could be that the conat eaither the splitter or thru the coaxial is somehow not allowing HBO to be sent to the cablecard...seems HBO signals are at a "higher waveband" than other channels? I pointed out the apparent,"to me", contradiction here because of the signallying strength etc the HDHY GUI is showing me live. They dismissed this....

Verizon tech support asked me if I could move the CC and unit to the other room where I have Verizon service. This is a massive undertaking because I would have to move my Desktop, Monitor and CableCard reader and set it all up....... So they asked me to REPLACE the Verizon Provided Splitter and rerun a Coaxial to the splitter! Note SPlitter is in my basement so I have to thread thru wall and floor etc. Yikes.

They say they could send a physical tech to my house but I would likely have to PAY for this visit. Even to replace Verizon provided equipment as they have only a 90 day warranty usually? When I asked if V would repay me if I went out and bought new splitter and coaxial and I still did not get HBO they of course said Nope!

Yikes is all I can say. Am I missing something, or is Verizon off the wall here?

Edit: In fairness to Verizon I should not that I am getting HBO and channel "131" in 2 other rooms using 1) a TIVO and 2) a cablebox provided by V. But would this not rule out a bad splitter?

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
reply to IanR

What version of the silicondust hd firmware are you running?

I had to deactivate, reactivate my cc last week as channels were coming up not subscribed. I went through online chat to do it, all back to normal.

Zero

Collegeville, PA
reply to IanR

Verizon's tier 1 tech support don't always know what needs to be done to get a CableCARD working properly.

Did you try the TV activation line # that I posted above yet? I get better results from their automated activation system for a CableCARD than a real person at their tier 1 tech support...

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Onedollar

I was using the latest firmware and I upgraded to the beta6. It hasn't made any difference, sadly.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Zero

Yes I tried the automatic activation and it wasn't good for me. I have no idea why my activations are being so problematic.

Onedollar

Pomona, CA

Hrmm latest should be 8/23 build, I have been on this a while and it is solid....

I found the best way to get good activation was via chat. Both times they properly deactivated, and reactivated.

Using phone support to do this was a nightmare and a waste of time as they didnt know what they were doing. Each time they tried, they sent new data id's to the card

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

Yes I was on the latest â– Current release: 20120405. Then I read their forums and some people said the latest beta6 allowed them to recover all channels. Bt the channels stayed the ame for me.

Right now my CC is activated and shows me all channels in the HDHR GUI. But HBO does not play it spuriosly says I need a subscription or I need activation. These screen shot comments are useless as in my experience they often change almost randomly.

Onedollar

Pomona, CA
reply to IanR

So let me get this right, does the log in the silicondust unit state channel - subscribed when you tune to it? Or is it saying unsubscribed?

If its saying unsubscribed the issue is more activation between cable card and vz. If its saying subscribed and your tv is showing the message "spuriosly" then most likely something from the box

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

It is saying "access = subscribed" for my HBO channels.....

As well as on open trouble ticket with FIOS (we parted with my insisting it stay open and basically we "agreed to disagree".

I have a trouble ticket open with Silicon Dust and am on their forum also.
My first impressions are that they really know their technical stuff SO MUSH BETTER than FIOS. With FIOS tech phone support I thought I knew a s much as if not more than them at times. With SD they appear levels above me:)

They too doubt the veracity of FIOS claims re the Splitter/coaxial and higher waveband statement.

Onedollar

Pomona, CA

You have any other pcs with WMC that can try to tune to HBO?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to IanR

said by IanR:

It is saying "access = subscribed" for my HBO channels.....

If the access is showing correct, then for some reason it isn't being decoded correctly by the HDHomeRun, right? And the HDHomeRun is reporting as "subscrived" so the cable card is passing it over as subscribed. Once it does that, it would seem that the HDHomeRun should see the channel. But it doesn't. I don't think this is a FiOS problem. It may be that the HDHomeRun doesn't know how to handle the flags correctly even though it is getting a subscribed channel.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Onedollar

Unfortunately not, that would be a good idea.