Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to IanR

Re: WindowsMediaCenter and XBox re HBO

Verizon's tier 1 tech support don't always know what needs to be done to get a CableCARD working properly.

Did you try the TV activation line # that I posted above yet? I get better results from their automated activation system for a CableCARD than a real person at their tier 1 tech support...

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to Onedollar

I was using the latest firmware and I upgraded to the beta6. It hasn't made any difference, sadly.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Zero

Yes I tried the automatic activation and it wasn't good for me. I have no idea why my activations are being so problematic.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6

Hrmm latest should be 8/23 build, I have been on this a while and it is solid....

I found the best way to get good activation was via chat. Both times they properly deactivated, and reactivated.

Using phone support to do this was a nightmare and a waste of time as they didnt know what they were doing. Each time they tried, they sent new data id's to the card

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

Yes I was on the latest â– Current release: 20120405. Then I read their forums and some people said the latest beta6 allowed them to recover all channels. Bt the channels stayed the ame for me.

Right now my CC is activated and shows me all channels in the HDHR GUI. But HBO does not play it spuriosly says I need a subscription or I need activation. These screen shot comments are useless as in my experience they often change almost randomly.

Onedollar

Pomona, CA
reply to IanR

So let me get this right, does the log in the silicondust unit state channel - subscribed when you tune to it? Or is it saying unsubscribed?

If its saying unsubscribed the issue is more activation between cable card and vz. If its saying subscribed and your tv is showing the message "spuriosly" then most likely something from the box

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

It is saying "access = subscribed" for my HBO channels.....

As well as on open trouble ticket with FIOS (we parted with my insisting it stay open and basically we "agreed to disagree".

I have a trouble ticket open with Silicon Dust and am on their forum also.
My first impressions are that they really know their technical stuff SO MUSH BETTER than FIOS. With FIOS tech phone support I thought I knew a s much as if not more than them at times. With SD they appear levels above me:)

They too doubt the veracity of FIOS claims re the Splitter/coaxial and higher waveband statement.

Onedollar

Pomona, CA

You have any other pcs with WMC that can try to tune to HBO?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to IanR

said by IanR:

It is saying "access = subscribed" for my HBO channels.....

If the access is showing correct, then for some reason it isn't being decoded correctly by the HDHomeRun, right? And the HDHomeRun is reporting as "subscrived" so the cable card is passing it over as subscribed. Once it does that, it would seem that the HDHomeRun should see the channel. But it doesn't. I don't think this is a FiOS problem. It may be that the HDHomeRun doesn't know how to handle the flags correctly even though it is getting a subscribed channel.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Onedollar

Unfortunately not, that would be a good idea.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to PJL

We will see what they say after they have monitored their hardware as it is set to send them data for a while.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

1 edit
reply to IanR

OK most of my remaining issues resolved. Thanks to the guys at SiliconDust and their forums, I got some excellent advice.

My issues were not cable or splitter related.
Because of changes at FIOS it meant I had to review settings on the software setup of the SD HDHomeRun Prime. I had to run the whole setup again and make slight changes. Most significant were that the tuners had been set to DigitalCable and I moved them to CableCard.

So now I get all the programming and the problematic HBO runs nicely and plays smoothly thru the XBox extender via WMC.

Some interesting stuff.

1) The Prime displays a load of nicely and properly categorized FIOS channels via it's ClearQAM 3x tuners with NO CableCard. Mainly broadcast type channels.

2) Without being set to CableCard (over DigitalCable) setting I got EVERYTHING including Showtime but no HBO

3) Using CC setting I get HBO

4) Sadly my 24 inch Dell Monitor 2405 FPW turns out to be non HDCP compliant so I cannot view HBO programs on the desktop. This only affects this channel.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

[BQUOTE=IanR...
Because of changes at FIOS it meant I had to review settings on the software setup of the SD HDHomeRun Prime. ... [/BQUOTE
What were the "changes at FIOS (sic)"?

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

1 edit

said by PJL:

What were the "changes at FIOS (sic)"?

The addition of the Copy Once CCI flag to HBO and Cinemax channels.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC

Correct. And we had the free long weekend to all users of HBO/Cinemax and when they closed this down it appears some regular HBO users where shut out inadvertantly.LOL.