Looking at going Ivy Bridge CPU / Motherboard something like:

Seasonic Power supply - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17151095

Intel Core i5 CPU
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504

Asrock Z77 motherboard:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157297

Gskill 8G Kit CAS 7
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231402

I plan on keeping my drives and video card / case.
Or should I upgrade my 6870 as well?

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
What kind of performance increase are you expecting to see upgrading a relatively decent computer but not changing video card? I realize you asked if you should replace it too, but how about just a video card upgrade? Money no issue? What's your goal here?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to s1deout
Can you overclock your i7 920 by chance?

Your current setup is definitely better then the one I replaced recently.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH
kudos:2
reply to s1deout
I am looking to get out of a dead socket platform. My motherboard is starting to act funny , USB ports not working correctly , NIC issues. Replacing a 1366 board is costly and since it is a dead socket , looking to go to the 1155 platform which is still supported.

My budget for upgrades is at @$600. I upgraded my card to this 6870 about 2 months ago as I got a sweet deal on a 2G / 256bit card.

That is why I am doing a whole refit.

Cheapest 1366 board is - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131715

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
So you have USB/NIC problems and want to spend $600 to replace the guts? You're better off buying PCI cards for USB/NIC for a fraction of the price.

The i7-920 is hardly "dead" and can still handle all current games with ease. I am playing TW2, Crysis 2, Guild Wars 2, BF3, etc. on my "dead" socket. It overclocks to 3.6 GHz easily and will probably remain "current" for another two years before I would see a significant jump in gaming performance by upgrading.

If your motherboard is truly causing trouble, buy a couple PCI cards or even replace the board (there's probably no shortage of LGA 1366 boards on the used market too).

I'd take what's left of the $600 budget and buy a nice GTX 670 or GTX 680. THAT would give you a boost.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH

1 edit
I bought this one used as the MSI I bought first ended up dying out of warranty.

Not real sure I want to venture back into the used board market. But I will take a loot and see what they have.

And why buy PCI cards to but in a board that has known issues? That does not make any sense to me. That would kinda be like putting a crate motor in a car with a known chassis / frame defect.

Yes the i7-920 can still handle all the current games and yes it can be overclocked easily. Outside of the motherboard issues the system does just fine.

What does going to a GTX 660 / 670 get me that a 7850 or even my 6870 does not?

I dont think i am CPU blocking with my current setup.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
I can say this, if you do end up going with a new Ivy Bridge i5 setup, you definitely wont be disappointed. Those CPU's are pretty stout.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to s1deout
The USB and network controllers are going. That doesn't mean the whole board is bad. Assuming the PCI controller is working just fine, you can get the same functionality out of the motherboard with add-in cards. It's not pretty, but it will work. As a related question, is it the USB ports on the back or front of the case that are going, or both?

You also could just buy a new board outright. This one even includes SATA III and USB 3.0, so you have the latest in connectivity. That's a far cry from $600 and lets you upgrade your GPU, which is going to be your bottleneck.

said by s1deout:

What does going to a GTX 660 / 670 get me that a 7850 or even my 6870 does not?

More frames at a higher resolution with higher AA and DX11 features like tessellation.

»www.hwcompare.com/12549/geforce-···hd-6870/
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
It is both USB ports. I have changed cases in the last 6 months and still have the issue.

I guess I have some heartburn with shelling out $214 for a 1366 board.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by s1deout:

It is both USB ports. I have changed cases in the last 6 months and still have the issue.

Just think though, if that new board will last you another 2 years, that'll only end up costing you $2.23 per week.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to s1deout
said by s1deout:

It's $165. There's a $50 rebate.
--

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to s1deout
$600 is a lot of money to fix a USB port...which is what you're going to get out of this.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
Yes but I happen to have the cash available to spend right now. I might not have it down the road if I wait.

I am going to get with DarkRealm and get one of his setups. This way I can upgrade my PC even if it is a lateral upgrade and then flow down mine to my son for his PC since he is still running an 775 socket 3.0Ghz Dual core with a 4850 video card.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
reply to s1deout
Well here is what I did:

I got a intel core i5-3750k and Asrock Z77 Extreme4 from micro center for $293.

I got a Lian Li 850watt PS from a friend for $65.

I got a case / 8G Kingston RAM / Asrock Z77 Pro 3 board / Cooler master Hyper 212 CPU cooler for the core i3-2100 CPU I have.
That was $170 for that with all the promo codes and rebates.

I picked up a GTX-470 1280 card for $100 to use.

So I am upgrading 3 pc's . Not too bad

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
reply to s1deout
Here are some pics:

Old build:

New Build

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Not what I would have gotten, but I hope you're happy with it.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
Yes. Thank you Cpt negativity. I am happy I choose to upgrade 3 PC's instead of solely thinking about myself and getting a $300+ video card.

The new CPU/motherboard combo boots way faster due to 6G SATA.

I don't play a lot of the new FPS so my card , XFX 6870 2G is more than sufficient for GW2 / WoW and CoD MW3 and the like for my taste since I don't run above 1920 resolution.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Hey man, no hard feelings--I just call it like I see it. The first time you mentioned upgrading three PCs was your last post when you mentioned them. We could have helped if you told us what three PCs you had, but you opted not to.

You'll be happy with the Asrock board. I did a recent build for my stepson and used the Asrock Z77 Pro3 with an i5-3450 and it screams for him. The UEFI is gorgeous and makes everything easy.

What did you end up doing with the x58 build? You mentioned passing it to your son--did you fix the USB issues?
--

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
The rest of the plan for me is:

Take the X58 MB / Core i7 920 and upgrade my 2nd system that I have running VMWare right now. I use that for my lab at home and so the USB issue won't really matter for that plus having the quad core will make my VM's run better. The lab also uses an iOmega ReadyNAS with 2 1-TB drives running Openfiler as the iSCSI SAN connected to a dual port 1G NIC in the VMWare server.

I picked up a 1155 Core i3-2100 CPU and using the Asrock H77 Pro3 Motherboard / Memory / Case and the GTX 470 , so that is his system. He plays BF3 / CoD and all the FPS like that right now on a Core2Duo 3.0Ghz with an AMD 4850 512MB card. So that will be a nice jump for him.

Yes the Asrock is very nice and that UEFI is great. Now to see about overclocking that 3750K.

No hard feelings. I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.