uniqs
share rss forum feed

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5

Exemption Status - Home owner, How do I file?

Exemption Status - Home owner, How do I file?
How long do I need to live at the address for?

Thanks
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

You had to live there on or prior to Jan 1 of that tax year. SO if you bought the house after Jan 1, 2012, You won't be able to get it this year.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SuperNet9

Usually you stop by the township assessor's office. That's what I had to do in DuPage when I bought a house that had been a rental and didn't already have an exemption on it. (Also, what Jon said.)

»cookcountyassessor.com/frequentl···ons.aspx

quote:
You can receive the Homeowner Exemption if you own or have a lease or contact which makes you responsible for the real estate taxes of the residential property. It must also be used as your principal place of residence for the year in question.

This exemption will be prorated if you purchased a newly constructed home that was not ready for occupancy until sometime after January 1 of the tax year in question. For further assistance, call our Taxpayer Services Department at (312) 443-7550. If you have never received a Homeowner Exemption on your home, you will need to apply for one. Exemption forms may be obtained by calling or visiting one of the Assessor’s Office locations or your local township assessor.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

Thanks, The person who had the house before me had it on there.. so do I still need to do anything? also what else can i do to lower the taxes in cook?
--

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1

Yes you will have to file for the homeowner exemption when you meet the requirements or they will not give it to you.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to SuperNet9

There isn't really anything else that I'm aware of unless you're a Senior, disabled or a Veteran. Maybe consult a real estate attorney. maybe they know of something.
You can try and challenge your assessment to lower your property taxes but we tried that when we lived in the city. They basically said, "F**k You, Pay me!"

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

The forum sounds like I can apply for it now??

it says

"As owner of the above property, I hereby apply for the Homeowner Exemption. I affirm by signature that this property was
occupied by its current or previous owner as a principal residence as of January 1, 2011. I understand that it is against
the law to provide false information on this Homeowner Exemption application"

Also when I look at the house, It says the house is worth more then it really is... How can I lower that?

--

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

You need to appeal your assessment if that's the case, and there's a wealth of info available on that topic via google, and plenty of law offices/other services that will do it for you.

Remember that in IL we pay taxes in arrears, meaning the bills coming out later this year are for 2011's taxes, and the assessments coming out now are for next year's payments.

I think our real estate attorney or the title company took care of the homeowner's exemption when we bought our house, we didn't have to do anything special.

EDIT: you have a very brief time window during which you can appeal your assessment. Miss a deadline or fail to cross an i or dot a t, and you're done for the year.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
reply to SuperNet9

I did a little write up on my experience a while ago:

»www.dennisjudd.com/?p=2183

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by Dennis:

I did a little write up on my experience a while ago:

»www.dennisjudd.com/?p=2183

Thanks! When can I find out when I can "fight" mine?
--

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Well I got a card in the mail but it was also in the newspaper. Probably best to ask them or check their website.