All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

[WildBlue] Trying to Decide:

Hello: I REALLY appreciate finding this forum. I am buying a weekend home in the desert canyons a couple of hours from LA. I have gone through every option for internet and am down to (I believe) Wild Blue/Excede or an AT&T 3G hotspot (no 4G where I am). For AT&T I would not use my iphone but rather purchase the small device they sell for that and get a contract on it.
I see from many postings that neither of these is optimal but unfortunately its all I've got. Any advice on which to choose would be GREATLY appreciated. For Wild Blue we are in the 12mbps region. How does speed for that compare with AT&T 3g? I understand reliability for Wild Blue leaves a lot to be desired. Same for AT&T "hot spot"?
I am an artist and would be using wireless mostly for e-mails and web surfing/site visiting including youtube. I have a lot of video work on vimeo but realize I would not be able to down/up load video because of amount limits. So the plan is to do the video work elsewhere. (ugh...)
Anything anyone can offer that would be helpful here would be terrific.
Many thanks,
John

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

Exede-12 is definitely faster than 3G. With 4G...I would say speeds are similar. Latency is higher with satellite, so it doesn't work well with some applications, such as online gaming.

With your situation and doing the type of usage you have noted...Exede appears to be the way to go. I have both Exede and 3G at my house. When I had the old Wildblue...I did use the 3G more. Now with Exede...unless there is an outage (due to weather, maintenance, etc.) I am not using the 3G at all. And if your Exede service is properly installed...I don't think you will have many outage problems. Overall...Exede is pretty stable now.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
reply to JohninYucca

said by JohninYucca :

weekend home in the desert canyons a couple of hours from LA.

I'd insert this home's zip-code location at this site below, and see if one qualifies. One gets a better price/package deal with Recovery Act

»www.wildblue.com/options/recovery-act

I'm not sure if this web page is updated, but actual speeds might be higher than given; ask them.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to JohninYucca

Verizon 4G covers most of the area within a couple of hours of LA, but canyons of course can be difficult. Have you verified that the AT&T 3G signal works at your place? Have you verified that Verizon 4G does not work?

The biggest problem outside of reception will be the relatively low data caps. I still have unlimited Verizon, hoping to keep it for as long as possible - I'm getting 27Mbps down and 13Mbps up south of Rapid City South Dakota as I type this.

Verizon shows 3 4G towers covering the area from Yucca Valley to twentynine Palms.

Thanks for the tip on Verizon. I have AT&T phone (confirmed I would get 3G not 4G on AT&T). I didn't think of simply doing Verizon as hot spot but not phone. Just looked and Verizon does offer 4G in my area with a 14 day trial period. I ordered Wild Blue but it has not bee installed. I may phone and try to put that on hold while I try Verizon.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to JohninYucca

You might want to inquire about the Verizon Homefusion product for your 4G. But you will be capped with 4G. At least with Exede's uncapped period, you can download more data if you need to. The "Late Night Free Zone" as it is called does work really well and I have downloaded 3 extra GB this month...not counted against my cap. While I don't always download a lot of data, it is nice to have the LNFZ if I need it. Never know when I might need to do a 10GB Steam update...lol.

Great points all around! Lots to think about. The free time does make a difference. I may try to cancel the Wild blue and see if get good verizon service from the new home. There are so many negative reviews for excede, although many are from earlier (and everyone experience is different). Sounds like you have had a very good experience with them. Good to know...
Thanks again.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by Johninyucca :

There are so many negative reviews for excede, although many are from earlier (and everyone experience is different).

Wildblue users and Exede users are not equal.

During Wildblue earlier days, many beams were stuffed; today, ViaSat will not over stuff beams, but it takes awhile before congestion is eliminated on Wildblue beams.

In regards to Exede, any time a new system is implemented, it takes time to eliminate issues; stuff will happen.

ViaSat's interest is for users to have a good experience, which CEO has stated this numerous times.

Bandwidth cost is quite high, and most all ISPs prefer to increase the pipe size with increases in users. But, there are sites that can not put out fast enough. Hence, some users can't sort the chaff from the wheat as to what they are experiencing. And yes, Youtube does choke from time to time; cable/Fios users are fully aware of this issue.

For gamers, satellite is a poor choice, and I know of a number of users who have bad mouth satellite service providers. They tend to be the worse, on reviews.

I do hear a few negative comments on Exede, but it tends to be their equipment not fit for duty for some reason. Once an installer comes out again, their problem goes away, and then they tend to disappear from these forums.

Talk is cheap, but some of these folks don't know "what's up," and then rant, rant, and rant. First Class Ding-Dongs.

Thanks for that. I figured it was something like that... Good to know the reason. I'm going w/excede. The 'free' nights may make a big difference in the long run, which for me could make a big difference. I don't game so it fits the bill for me.
Thanks to all for terrific information.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to JohninYucca

I have had Exede now for about a month. No real issues. I know some people have had issues with their wireless routers working with the Exede modem. If you search the Wildblue forum you can read more about that.

Keep us posted on how things work out for you!

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10

2 edits
reply to JohninYucca

Think about where to put the dish. Because a grounding block is supposed to be used to attach the coaxial cable to your electrical ground, it is best to route the cable near your electrical service entrance. A good installation is important for good performance. Because the system transmits data to the satellite, the mount must be sturdy and stable. You also need a clear line-of-sight to the satellite which is located southward. There are basically three places for the dish: on the roof, wall or a pole mount.

1. Roof:
advantages:
A. cheap mount
B. less likely for trees to block the line-of-sight to the satellite

disadvantages:
A. bolt holes in your roof, could cause leaks
B. difficult to clean off snow
C. serviceman or you have to climb onto the roof to do repairs

2. Wall:
advantages:
A. cheap mount
B. easy to clean off snow
C. easier access for installation and repairs

disadvantage:
A. bolt holes in your wall

3. pole mount
advantages: A. best most stable mount
B. easy to clean off snow
C. easy access for installation and repairs

disadvantages:
A. most expensive mounting option, you have to pay extra or install the pole yourself
B. might have to dig a trench and install underground conduit for the coaxial cable.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA

hey partner... it all souded good.... but i have a question... are you a installer?

i ask because of this statement you made

3. pole mount

how? poles wobble. im a installer and found this statement to be incorrect.

any correctly mounted tri-mast IS the most stable. wall or roof, deck, what ever. but pole is the LEAST sturdy.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Kaosfury:

hey partner... it all souded good.... but i have a question... are you a installer?

i ask because of this statement you made

3. pole mount

how? poles wobble. im a installer and found this statement to be incorrect.

any correctly mounted tri-mast IS the most stable. wall or roof, deck, what ever. but pole is the LEAST sturdy.

If you use schedule 40 pipe, as we are required, pole mounts are very sturdy.
Yes, it does have a 'springiness' but is not an issue.

When correctly installed, a pole mount is the ideal mount option - aesthetics aside.
Structure mounts can be subject to shifting due to heat and moisture changes in building components - a properly installed pole is long term stable.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to Kaosfury

I am a customer of Wildblue and not an installer. Any exposed wooden surface, such as a deck, is unsuitable for mounting a dish because the wood expands and contracts from changes in moisture and will likely result in a misaligned dish. If a pole mount is installed improperly, then it could definitely be a disaster. My dish has been mounted on a pole since 2005 and has never been nor needed to be realigned. My dish stays aligned in 50 mile/hour gusts.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway