spc
Search similar:

uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Still WAY behind Verizon

I don't know how they get away with saying they have 4G in 2000 more cities than Verizon which is blatantly untrue.
amp12815
join:2005-02-02
Franklin, IN

amp12815

because they do, they don't say 4G LTE, they say 4G. Minor Details.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Because they have HSPA+. T-Mobile was the first to call that 4G and Sprint even called Wimax 4G. If AT&T didn't call it 4G, they would be at a competitive disadvantage in their ad campaigns because of the other guys. Anyways, hspa+ is preferable to EvDO, which we have here from AT&T, but still no sign of Verizon LTE.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

And verizon has more lte then at&ts hsdpa at this point
RDC17
join:2011-05-15
Vienna, VA

RDC17 to 88615298

to 88615298
Their HSPA+ may not be true 4G but it smokes Verizon and Sprint 3G..... in some areas around me AT&T only has HSPA+ but it is just as fast as LTE for web browsing and what not.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
I _really_ doubt that.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
No, AT&T has way more HSPA+ than Verizon does LTE nationally, even more so around here. AT&T upgraded all of their 3G UMTS footprint to that, which they really got off their asses expanding a couple years ago. Closest Verizon LTE is Springfield and Albany, NY area to me. AT&T blankets my whole county and most counties here in MA with HSPA+. Now if you were to say Verizon has way more LTE than AT&T, that would be true. In my case, HSPA+ is way better than being stuck on EvDO around my home area, plus AT&T has way less coverage gaps in MA, real world tests with both. AT&T is second place with lye though and it is fast! I will take a fallback to hspa+ in the non-covered areas over EvDO, especially since my area is not lye for either. As to EDGE, that is only in the real boondocks where many fail to mention that VZ drops to 1xRTT. You wouldn't know it with Sprint because their newer phones are programmed to lie and say 3G in 1x areas. Those areas are few and far between now

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
They get away with it because 4G is anything anyone wants it to be. The AT&T iPhone 4S even says "4G" at the top.

Verizon is slaughtering them with their LTE deployment.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

HPSA+ is plenty fast down here.
I have hit +14Mbps, and have no real need for LTE.
amp12815
join:2005-02-02
Franklin, IN

amp12815 to RRedline

to RRedline
Right but when it comes to network performance LTE to LTE, AT&T has greater speeds.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline

Premium Member

I'm sure the millions of people stuck using AT&T's EDGE network will be happy to know that AT&T's LTE is fast.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Well in my state verizon has far more lte then at&t has hsdpa.

And you can keep bragging about your state having more hsdpa and falling back to hsdpa, or just wait a few more months for verizon to own at&t in your state too.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

Well in my state verizon has far more lte then at&t has hsdpa.

And you can keep bragging about your state having more hsdpa and falling back to hsdpa, or just wait a few more months for verizon to own at&t in your state too.

If and when that happens, then it will be another good option for wireless broadband. As it stands right now, Verizon is crap except in the big cities with LTE. Their EvDO sucks more and more as smartphones keep gaining popularity. I would rather have uniform hspa+ between 5 and 20 megabits with slightly patchier LTE than to have slightly bigger but still patchy LTE coverage and be stuck on EvDO that now has trouble reaching 1 megabit most of the time

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ

EvelKub

Premium Member

Ignore, browser generated error during this post, so I didn't know it posted.
EvelKub

EvelKub to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
This news article on news.vzw.com shows that you have LTE service in Lanesboro, MA, where your profile shows you are..

»news.verizonwireless.com ··· 5ae.html

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
HSPA+'s a joke, in WV.

Here in WV (yeah, yeah, one of the worst-connected states in the nation), I had a 3G phone (Nexus One) and the speeds were anywhere from 1-2Mbits on a good day.

On a bad day, it was less than 1Mbits; frequently less than 256Kbits.

I now have a HSPA+-capable phone (GSM Galaxy Nexus) and although I now mainly see my phone on the HSPAP network (as opposed to 3G which I saw was HSPDA) the speeds are no better (still the same).

This is on AT&T, which is the only carrier that covers my area of WV (reliably). The other options don't seem to exist around here in any meaningful capacity.

I am in agreement with the people who say HSPA+ isn't really 4G (wherever they are).

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to EvelKub

Premium Member

to EvelKub
My test with friend's phone was pretty recent, but I will have to give it a run again. Thanks for the info. Curious if maybe they lit my town up a bit late or maybe don't cover my side. If it's the former, might be time to trade in my EvDO hotspot for an lte one. I live on the Hancock border side(Hancock is not listed), which is pretty deep in the woods. I feel lucky to even get HSPA+, but LTE would be great. Lanesboro has sparse population, but covers a decent area. Main roads are rt7 and 8, both of which I am kind of far from, but the fact New Ashford is lit up sounds promising(not too far from there). Only way I get real broadband is with a little help from my friends hosting wireless backhaul links for me(main link and 1 repeater closer to me to aim the signal over the trees down to me).

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller to XANAVirus

to XANAVirus
HSDPA+ is going to get a LOT better when all of these turds with iPhone5s get off of it and the dolts that still have 3G can't hit the extra speeds. HSDPA+ will be thw sweet spot for those of us on Straight Talk who can't get LTE. I'm already noticing improvements as people migrate to the ridiculously expensive LTE networks.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

Yeah, I see much improvement today from yesterday, when on the HSPA+ network (though it's AT&T and not Straight Talk who I'm with).

Yesterday the speeds were awful (200Kbits or less both ways) and the AnyConnect VPN connection couldn't be used that day (so no email, since the servers aren't available publicly).

Today though, I'm seeing 1.3Mbits on the downlink, but the uplink is still awful (less than 512Kbits). My phone supports HSPA+ 21Mbits so I suppose the speeds will get better over time as people get onto the LTE network - given that all these connections are shared mediums.

Now my phone doesn't seem to support the 'phone' APN (the 'server' if you will that your phone links with to access services like voice and data), only the 'wap.cingular' one, even though I've got the right plan so I don't know if something's up there or not.

I suppose I'd see better speeds if I were able to use the 'phone' APN, but when I use my AnyConnect VPN the speeds pickup somewhat, I suppose because the Internet connection at my university is dozens of times faster than my 3G/4G mobile data connection.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I see 5-20 megabits down with AT&T HSPA+ with decent signal(3 bars or more) and 1.2 megabits up(seems like they capped it this year to that because it's consistent, used to get 3-5 up until they capped it). My guess is the upstream cap is to alleviate congestion, but I am very happy with my speeds. I still tend to see 2-3 megabits down on 1-2 bars and 0.5-1 up.

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ

EvelKub to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
Verizon is planning to launch heavy in Rural areas to offer Home Fusion... I recently visited my family in Ohio and was actually quite surprised how far outside of town the LTE signal went... »www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· /main.do

If you prefer a regular data card and are still outside their range, you could get one of these... They are highly rated, and have worked well for me when I'm far out from the city.
»www.wilsonelectronics.co ··· eek-4g-v