dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to jfn96706

to jfn96706

Re: slow 6M DSL Montreal (evening only?)

said by jfn96706:

At least Teksavvy has now acknowledged there is an issue with congested links.

TSI only stated that they were having problems due to Bell shuffling things around on their end and that reconnecting to end up on a different AHSSPI seems to solve it, not that they actually had congestion issues at their end of things.

In any case, the problems are "initiated" from Bell's side of things so TSI has very little control over what happens.
jfn96706
join:2012-09-16

jfn96706

said by InvalidError:

said by jfn96706:

TSI only stated that they were having problems due to Bell shuffling things around on their end and that reconnecting to end up on a different AHSSPI seems to solve it, not that they actually had congestion issues at their end of things.

No. Quote from TSI verbatim :
said by heyyahblah:

"...We're working to get the situation resolved in a permanent way, but right now this will get you to a less congested link as the maintenance finishes."

So...they acknowledge congested links and clearly suggest a workaround to help mitigate winding up on a congested link.

heyyahblah
join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah

the solution hasn't worked for me, i've tried this numerous times and have just given up. I always seem to end up on a congested link and the download speeds here for files don't top 300kb/sec, i hope this is resolved soon .....
jfn96706

jfn96706

Sorry to hear that. I'm in the same boat as well, my connection dropped back to a congested link today and I'm at 2M-3M again.

A quick resolution would be nice, but I really just wish there was more transparency in these types of network issues from the outset.
InvalidError

InvalidError to jfn96706

to jfn96706
said by jfn96706:

So...they acknowledge congested links and clearly suggest a workaround to help mitigate winding up on a congested link.

They did not say that they were seeing congestion from their end of things, only that Bell's shuffling seems to be causing congestion.

When people start complaining and TSI notices that AHSSPIs are congested, TSI usually responds stating that they had a load imbalance problem and are terminating L2TP sessions on over-burdened links to re-distribute the load. Since they are not doing it this time around, I take this as a hint that the current congestion issues are occurring somewhere within the Bell cloud so TSI cannot determine which links are misbehaving with their current tools.
jfn96706

jfn96706

said by InvalidError:

said by jfn96706:

They did not say that they were seeing congestion from their end of things, only that Bell's shuffling seems to be causing congestion.

No reason for you to disagree with me then, since I never suggested that they saw congestion "at their end":
said by jfn96706:

I'm not sure any of us really care where the congestion is. I do think what we'd all agree on, and like to see going forward is TSI providing transparency about the congestion problems and to post updates as progress is made towards a fix.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by jfn96706:

TSI providing transparency about the congestion problems and to post updates as progress is made towards a fix.

Except that if the congestion is indeed happening within Bell-land because Bell is re-arranging stuff at their end of things, there is very little that TSI can do to "fix it" since they have no control over what actually needs fixing and they won't know if their fix fixes anything until Bell is done fixing their own things first.

With some luck, maybe the reason Bell is busy re-arranging their network is to prepare for 10G AHSSPI.

heyyahblah
join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah

its taking them a hell of a long time though, talk about service interruptions. i wonder what excuse or runaround they are giving to their own customers. Since Saturday I have noticed but some users have said even earlier like Thursday, so its going on a solid week now, wow .
jfn96706

jfn96706

Agreed, I feel like a bit of a mushroom

Speeds dropped back down again to a crawl last night, but seem to be back to normal again this morning.

If anyone from Teksavvy is following this thread, any update on the progress with the network maintenance?

tsilkdjsaflk
@teksavvy.com

tsilkdjsaflk to InvalidError

Anon

to InvalidError
TSI could at least inform us of the situation. I don't care if who's to blame but I do care about knowing what's going on and having an ETA. Shame on TSI.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by tsilkdjsaflk :

TSI could at least inform us of the situation.

Since Bell stopped providing network maintenance notices years ago, TSI does not know anything beyond "Bell is working on stuff" so there isn't any information to talk about nor ETAs.

All TSI knows is the same thing we know: it will be done when Bell gets done with it, whenever that may be.