how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mc510

join:2005-06-20
Berkeley, CA

From Uverse ADSL2+ to DSL Extreme?

I know this has been discussed before, but (with apologies) I'm still confused. I've got AT&T U-Verse High Speed Internet (without TV, without voice), which I gather is an ADSL2+ product. When I signed up for it, AT&T told me that this was my only option and that they couldn't offer traditional DSL.

So, can DSL Extreme provide its DSL service to me on this line? (FWIW, the DSLX pre-qual tool tells me that I can get up to 3/512, but I don't know if this considers whether AT&T has rendered the line incompatible with traditional DSL.)

If I submit my DSLX order online, does it matter when I call AT&T to cancel my existing service?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
It's really VDSL; the connection on the back-end is different, too. So no, we can't just do the Easy ISP Switch we can do with existing DSL circuits, I'm afraid, nor will that modem you have work for our DSL. In order for us to provide DSL, you'd need to cancel the U-Verse completely first, THEN we can process an order to get you connected with DSL with us. So there'd be some definite downtime between when the U-Verse goes down and our connection comes up.

If you try to place the DSL order with us first, AT&T's system is SUPPOSED to show that you've got U-Verse already and basically reject our order outright - but even if it doesn't do that, it'll run into errors if your U-Verse hasn't been completely cancelled out before our order tries to process.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by dslx_nick:

It's really VDSL ...

If he is on a CO connection, it probably is ADSL2+. I believe AT&T serves VDSL from a type of RT called a VRAD.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
I've yet to find a former U-Verse CU that was using ADSL2+ rather than VDSL; not to say that such is impossible, but I've yet to run across such myself, at least. Mc510, what kind of modem do you have there? The most common VDSL modem I've seen is the 2Wire 2701 HGV-B; is that the model you have?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by dslx_nick:

I've yet to find a former U-Verse CU that was using ADSL2+ rather than VDSL ...

Not that I would go back to AT&T; I like my current ISP better. But since switching away from "at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro" (ADSL service) that address now qualifies for U-verse Internet, 3M max. It would be a CO connection at 9,156 feet. I don't think AT&T runs VDSL over a 9,156 foot CO connection.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dslx_nick
The 'mc 510' is actually the Motorola NVG 510 - specifically modified to At&T spec for its IP-DSL services.. [and capable with AT&Ts version of ADSL2+ due to using a certificate in the modem, and not standard based.]

Usually it is used by IP-DSL customers.. not served by a VRad.

mc510

join:2005-06-20
Berkeley, CA
said by AMDUSER:

The 'mc 510' is actually the Motorola NVG 510

Yep, that's exactly right; I've got the Motorola NVG510 modem/router. But I won't need it anymore, as today I cancelled U-Verse and put in my DSLX order.