how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

VTEric

join:2008-08-27
Clifton Park, NY

New Feature: Timed DND

We have had some requests for a DND feature that someone could use when putting the baby down for a nap, getting some work done without distraction or when going on a day trip and without having to remember to remove the DND rule for the future.

You now have the ability to add a short-term Do Not Disturb rule through your online control panel that will automatically expire after the duration you choose. You have the option of 30 minutes, and 1, 2, 6, 12 and 24 hours. After a rule expires it will be automatically removed from the DND interface in your online control panel.

If you have any questions or suggestions about this feature please use the form found in the Beta Lab section of your online control panel.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

1 recommendation

Looks good. I did submit a couple questions that I will also throw out here.

First, why is there a time zone drop down for a feature that lasts for a specific duration? Doesn't make sense. Also, why limit the drop down choices to those shown? 25 items is a drop down list is no big deal so that you could cover 30minutes up to 24 hours in every hour increment.

Thanks!

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to VTEric

Gee that would have been great a few years ago when I had kids that needed a nap.

One improvement would be turn on and off via 3 digit codes like the simultaneous ring *746 (*SIM) No CP needed.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1

There already is a *363 to toggle Do Not Disturb. To do a timed DND, it would have to be more than 3 digits to tell the system how long to stay active.

VTEric

join:2008-08-27
Clifton Park, NY
reply to VTEric

Responses such as these are exactly why we value our customers' input so highly. unknvoip made some very valid points. Originally we were treating the Timed DND very similarly to the regular DND rules which require a proper time zone to be set. I have updated the Timed DND feature to simply use the duration you set. No longer is the time zone or daylight saving time checkbox needed. The drop down menu for the duration has also been updated to include hourly increments from 1-12 in addition to the 30 minute and 1 day option.

I have added forwarding functionality to Timed DND as well, allowing you to forward your calls to a specified number for the duration you choose.

With regard to a spree code to enable this feature, unknvoip is also correct in that we have a spree code for enabling Global Do Not Disturb. The Timed DND feature is for setting auto-expiring DND rules. The global DND spree code requires you to remember to turn it off either through the *DND spree code or by disabling it through the online control panel. A spree code to enable Timed DND would need to read off a menu of 12 options as there are 12 durations you can choose from. We wouldn't be able to allow manual input of the number of hours for which you want to enable Timed DND as we also offer the 30 minute option and there would be no easy way for people to enter a duration less than 1 hour. For now, this option will only be available through the online control panel.

As always, if anyone has any feedback or suggestions for this feature, use the Beta Lab submission form found in your online control panel to contact us.