spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kevin Bryan

join:2012-03-19
Scotland, CT

[Cable Card] CC moving channel #'s into 1000 -- cable card?

On my latest bill - I noticed that they are moving many HD channels into the 1000's.

I have two "elderly" relatives who have 2006-ish Toshiba LCD HDTV's. Both have the 1-way cable cards from that era.

They've gotten by so far -- but with channels pushing up into 4 digits -- will they still be OK? Or must they get a box after Oct 16?

PAA

join:2009-05-20
Florence, NJ
I have an old "1-way" Scientific Atlanta cable card in my Panasonic TV and it has no problems tuning channels in the 1000's.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 recommendation

Cable cards are 2 way. it's the hardware that's one way. if your tv can handle 4 digit numbers you will be fine.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by ajwees41:

Cable cards are 2 way. it's the hardware that's one way.

Yes, as it says on the "CableCARD Primer" page (»www.cablelabs.com/opencable/prim···mer.html) on the CableLabs site:

The media has frequently reported that first-generation CableCARD 1.0 modules are one-way devices. This is simply not true. CableLabs had always intended to develop the CableCARD module and host receiver standards with two-way capability. However the manufacturers of digital TVs requested that a host standard be developed that only had one-way capability. This one-way cable-ready receiver was defined by the FCC's Plug & Play order and by the Joint Test Suite (JTS). It is the definition of this one-way receiver that lacks the ability for two-way functionality, not the CableCARD module.

Debi Lee

@comcast.net
reply to ajwees41
said by ajwees41:

Cable cards are 2 way. it's the hardware that's one way. if your tv can handle 4 digit numbers you will be fine.

That's true. However there are multi stream cablecards (M) and single stream cablecards (S). Single stream cards allow a user to only be able to receive one channel at a time which means if a device has more then one tuner (TiVo 3) that multiple single stream cards are needed. Multi stream cards allow a user to receive multiple channels at one time so if a device has more then one tuner (TiVo Premier) only one multi stream card is needed. Now I think this means that if Comcast offers the first card for free, and charges for any additional cards, it would cost more to use multiple single stream cards rather then just that one multi stream cablecard which would be free.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
said by Debi Lee :

said by ajwees41:

That's true. However there are multi stream cablecards (M) and single stream cablecards (S). Single stream cards allow a user to only be able to receive one channel at a time which means if a device has more then one tuner (TiVo 3) that multiple single stream cards are needed. Multi stream cards allow a user to receive multiple channels at one time so if a device has more then one tuner (TiVo Premier) only one multi stream card is needed. Now I think this means that if Comcast offers the first card for free, and charges for any additional cards, it would cost more to use multiple single stream cards rather then just that one multi stream cablecard which would be free.

well except for the Tivo S3 all other Tivo use one multi stream card. If the OP's TV can tune 4 digit channels would be the the only reason.