join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to majortom1029

Re: 8 downsteam

said by majortom1029:

They need to complete the analog to digital conversion first to get the upstream channels.

That's great news - I didn't realize that would free up the appropriate frequencies. I think upload will be the next bottleneck; I'm surprised it is not already.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
the freuqencies from 42mhz and below is what is used by upstream , if they change it to docsis 3 then it can go up to 85mhz. I am gathering cablevision is waiting till all analog channels are gone before activating upstream channel bonding. Remember cablevision tries to roll things out to everybody as quick as possible. The 5- 15mhz channels are noisy and not really usedso that leaves even less channels right now for upstream.

They are looking into a docsis 3.1 spec that gives the cable companies even more room for upstream.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by majortom1029:

Remember cablevision tries to roll things out to everybody as quick as possible.

We folks in New Jersey would disagree.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

They are looking into a docsis 3.1 spec that gives the cable companies even more room for upstream.

That is good to hear. Speeds are pretty good now, but they need to keep adding capacity to keep it that way.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to majortom1029
Would that require yet again even newer model modems?

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
The arris tm822g are 8x4 so they should be good for a while

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to kickass69
Not necessarily. They could provision some modems to use certain channels, and other modems to use different channels.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to kickass69
To initially bond channels the present modems are fine but the Arris 822G will only bond upstream in the 5-42 MHz range. The Arris TM822A/S will bond up to 65MHz but only in the EuroDocsis mode. None will bond in the possible Docsis 3.1 modes which are speculated to have a range that tops at 95-200MHz.

This is one of the reasons you don't just flood the subscriber base when a new modem comes out. There will be future upgrades and it makes more sense giving new modems to those having problems because then it makes sense for the company to give out the new modem when it is available.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by majortom1029:

Remember cablevision tries to roll things out to everybody as quick as possible.

We folks in New Jersey would disagree.

We folks in Matamoras, PA would disagree even more!