how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fireguy_03

@cgocable.net
reply to mbernste

Re: [iPhone] Passbook

This solution was quick, easy and worked like a charm. put one year later. tested and passbook worked. went back and put to "set auto" again.. Tested passbook and working great... Thanks !!!

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to pcdevitt

I honestly expect this to be the next Ping.

I don't see anyone having a reason to use it ever for any reason until NFC and even then...

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

said by Mike:

I honestly expect this to be the next Ping.

I don't see anyone having a reason to use it ever for any reason until NFC and even then...

If anything, for me, I'll use it to corral all of my "saver/membership" cards. The coupons will come and it will probably become something like Groupon--sharing coupons with FB friends, etc.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

lymemama

@verizon.net
reply to Nezmo

I found a work around on the web. Go into your settings and manually change the date to one year from today. Then go back to passbook and open it. It will take you to the app store. Then you can restore your original date settings.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to pcdevitt

Did a full restore and was able to download a few apps, include a Fandango update this morning. Now whenever I boot PassBook I get the same screen and now I'm getting that same old message "Can't connect to the Apple Store." Maybe the server is busy? If that's the case, it makes absolutely no sense to open apps by connecting to the Apple Store especially when the store is too busy to handle requests.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to pcdevitt

Starbucks Coffee @Starbucks
Updated to iOS 6? Our Passbook update is coming at the end of this month! 00111010 00101001

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by mromero:

Starbucks Coffee @Starbucks
Updated to iOS 6? Our Passbook update is coming at the end of this month! 00111010 00101001

I've always though that by the time I've found my SB app and pulled it up and the barcode appears I could have paid with my debit card or cash twice over. Hopefully this helps, lol.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.

im the same way, i can whip out my cash faster.

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

Did a full restore and was able to download a few apps, include a Fandango update this morning. Now whenever I boot PassBook I get the same screen and now I'm getting that same old message "Can't connect to the Apple Store." Maybe the server is busy? If that's the case, it makes absolutely no sense to open apps by connecting to the Apple Store especially when the store is too busy to handle requests.

Funny, but with the new iPhone I'm getting the can't connect message and nothing that I do with the date will fix it. I haven't tried restoring yet, but I'm about there.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
New York, NY

said by BellBoy:

Funny, but with the new iPhone I'm getting the can't connect message and nothing that I do with the date will fix it. I haven't tried restoring yet, but I'm about there.

I suspect either the store is busy or the potion that handles PassBook is down. I read somewhere on the Apple Discussion Forums that it wasn't scheduled to go live till today. Maybe they're running late?

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

said by Stacy:

said by BellBoy:

I suspect either the store is busy or the potion that handles PassBook is down. I read somewhere on the Apple Discussion Forums that it wasn't scheduled to go live till today. Maybe they're running late?

Perhaps...did the restore and that didn't fix it either.

Cue Steve's spit 6 feet down...

--

tommy3rd
I Am Nuckin Futs
Premium
join:2000-03-10
Clifton, NJ

happy to report the passbook issue is fixed. i didn't do anything different, just tried launching the app again for shits and giggles and it just worked. lol

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

said by tommy3rd:

happy to report the passbook issue is fixed. i didn't do anything different, just tried launching the app again for shits and giggles and it just worked. lol

For you perhaps...not for me on my 5.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike

I am not so sure. While I have used it yet it seems to be able to use existing infrastructure, meaning you are just swapping the paper passes, coupons, etc for the phone. If so, that gives it a good leg up. If I understand this all right, merchants just need to develop the apps but shouldn't require a huge investment in store scanning hardware.

NFC is a solution in search of a problem and very few merchants support it.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by skeechan:

NFC is a solution in search of a problem ...

I've seen you make this statement several times. Can you explain what you mean?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

People already carry payment methods, NFC for P.O.S. doesn't add much convenience (take out a phone, take out a wallet) while it carries great expense in terms of P.O.S. investments for merchants (which means no merchants will offer the NFC service). In terms of convenience it ends up slower than paying by CC (because you have to take the time to open and pass security measures in the app such as typing in a PW) and may offer fewer consumer protections vs paying directly with plastic. And for merchants, merchant fees are much higher without a physical swipe of the customer's card so you would have to get Visa, Amex and Mastercard to get on board with NFC to keep fees low.

It's just kinda pointless, just like those smartchips in cards that allowed you to just put the card near the device instead of swiping it...a solution in search of a problem.

There is no "payment" convenience problem. Because NFC isn't offered by anyone people already carry all their payment methods. The only thing I could see an NFC benefit for is tying it to say a Paypal account, but then again, Paypal is then tied to a CC or checking account (which would have a debit card).

Passbook adds a different convenience factor in not having to carry coupons or separate papers in a travel itinerary. For something like Fandango, it skips you having to go to the kiosk to print your ticket. In my area even Fandango kiosks can have long lines like the actual box office. If you are at dinner, you can get your ticket using the fandango app and walk right in without having to log back into the fandango app (supposedly). If you happen by a supported store, you always have your coupons on you. I'd like to have a Petco app...I accumulate $5 coupons but NEVER seem to have them on me when I happen to jump into the store to pick up dog food. If I had an Petco Passbook app where I could save those coupons and scan the coupon at checkout, it would save me quite a bit of money (with 2 Labradors I blow through more than 2 cases of Science Diet a week)

But even Passbook's convenience improvements are marginal, a solution that works to solve a very minor convenience problem.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

Thanks. I've never used NFC so was curious.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
New York, NY
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I'd like to have a Petco app...I accumulate $5 coupons but NEVER seem to have them on me when I happen to jump into the store to pick up dog food. If I had an Petco Passbook app where I could save those coupons and scan the coupon at checkout, it would save me quite a bit of money (with 2 Labradors I blow through more than 2 cases of Science Diet a week)

I was able to create PetCo, PetSmart and CVS PassBook cards using PassSource.Com which showed the amount of awards I had accumulated. THey even resembled the photos shown on »www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#passbook Only problem was, once I had those cards I could no longer see the Apple App Store button.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

It's easier to just print the coupon.