uniqs

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: So when is ultra 300 making the drop?

Tech discussion aside, does anyone want or need more than 100MB? For what purpose would you need/use it?

Pretty much everyone will agree the download speeds are fine. Upgrade the hardware and work on the upload speeds.

Theta
join:2003-07-24
Wentzville, MO

Theta

My clients would certainly upgrade, and we would welcome the increase in speed.

Most are already paying $400 or better for the 100/5, so that's not the issue.

Not to be rude, but it doesn't matter what they or we will use it for. Options are excellent, and create more competition in the market (which tends to drive prices down).

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01 to JimE

to JimE
said by JimE:

Tech discussion aside, does anyone want or need more than 100MB? For what purpose would you need/use it?

Pretty much everyone will agree the download speeds are fine. Upgrade the hardware and work on the upload speeds.

Build the pipe, and the people will fill it. Think back to 2000, and a good cable modem package was 768Kbps. That's scoffed at today. 300Mb will be perfect for 3DHDTV or whatever the next big enhancement to television/internet is.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by cablegeek01:

Build the pipe, and the people will fill it. Think back to 2000, and a good cable modem package was 768Kbps. That's scoffed at today. 300Mb will be perfect for 3DHDTV or whatever the next big enhancement to television/internet is.

And even with Comcast 600 GB cap 3D HDTV( at 300 Mbps ) will blow through that in 4 1/2 hours.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
said by cablegeek01:

said by JimE:

Your talking about building for a market that doesn't yet exist, but yet everyone would benefit from more upload speed NOW. EVERYONE, not just the small number high end users that want/need ridiculous download speed.

I understand the argument. I'm just trying to apply common sense, which many companies have difficulty in understanding.

And it will mean NOTHING to competition. Most markets don't have competition.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

said by JimE:

said by cablegeek01:

said by JimE:

Your talking about building for a market that doesn't yet exist, but yet everyone would benefit from more upload speed NOW. EVERYONE, not just the small number high end users that want/need ridiculous download speed.

I understand the argument. I'm just trying to apply common sense, which many companies have difficulty in understanding.

It's not that many companies have difficulty understanding/applying common sense, it's that most people/companies in general don't have a clue what common sense is!!

IMO,
300MB download is absolutely ridiculous and pretty much useless, as there are next to no servers that are even that fast, even if you're the only one on it!!

There is NO competition, period. If there was and it was driving the prices down, then when was the last time your cable bill, or ANY bill, for that matter, went down?

Even arguing about, shows some one with no common sense!!

MikePruett
@charter.com

MikePruett

Anon

I have 100 mpbs internet. Majority of the servers I hit handle it just fine.

For as fast as ISP's are expanding bandwidth to end users.......commercial lines to hosting datacenters and server clusters are increasing even faster.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01 to JimE

to JimE
said by JimE:

said by cablegeek01:

said by JimE:

I agree, upstream channel bonding is more important in my opinion than 300Mbps, but USCB takes a lot of time and preparation to properly deploy. There are a lot of fundamental differences in how the upstream and downstream channels work (timing, power adjustment, modulation, interference, and more).
I understand from an earlier DSLreports thread, that Charter is working on deploying USCB, as is Comcast and a few other major MSOs, but it'll take time. While that work is going on, they're still deploying higher and higher DS speeds since they haven't hit the wall of 4-8 channel modem capacity yet.

I want me some 50Mb upload too
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by cablegeek01:

I agree, upstream channel bonding is more important in my opinion than 300Mbps, but USCB takes a lot of time and preparation to properly deploy. There are a lot of fundamental differences in how the upstream and downstream channels work (timing, power adjustment, modulation, interference, and more).
I understand from an earlier DSLreports thread, that Charter is working on deploying USCB, as is Comcast and a few other major MSOs, but it'll take time. While that work is going on, they're still deploying higher and higher DS speeds since they haven't hit the wall of 4-8 channel modem capacity yet.

I want me some 50Mb upload too

maybe someone with more technical knowledge an explain but on upload docsis 3.0 can do 27 Mbps on ONE channel so couldn't Charter increase upload without channel bonding?

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by cablegeek01:

And even with Comcast 600 GB cap 3D HDTV( at 300 Mbps ) will blow through that in 4 1/2 hours.

Ain't that the truth.

Dam, Am i agreeing with BF69, that's a first.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Edit:

I'm not going there!!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to 88615298

to 88615298
If Charter has a reliable 64QAM 6.4MHz wide upstream channel, that gives 30 Mbps of capacity. They could offer 15 Mbps up without much issue.

HOWEVER if their plant is anything like TWC's, there are a lot of places where their upstream capacity consists of one 3.2MHz-wide channel, modulated at somewhere between 16QAM (10 Mbps of capacity) and 64QAM (15 Mbps of capacity). You don't want to offer more than 5 Mbps over that.

As for download speeds, Charter would probably want to hand out the Netgear 24x8 modem for this tier. On the CMTS side, 12 bonded channels would be more than enough for standard usage patterns including enough bandwidth for a 300M tier.

Personally though, there's probably more to gain for Charter if they can get another upstream channel squeezed into their systems. Even if it's only 3.2MHz at 16QAM, they'd have enough bandwidth at that point to offer a package with 10 Mbps up. Would make for some happy businesses, and would give people a better reason to upgrade to 100M service.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by iansltx:

HOWEVER if their plant is anything like TWC's, there are a lot of places where their upstream capacity consists of one 3.2MHz-wide channel, modulated at somewhere between 16QAM (10 Mbps of capacity) and 64QAM (15 Mbps of capacity). You don't want to offer more than 5 Mbps over that.

So come December when cable companies no longer have to provide analog service and Charter can then go all digital I assume that should free up the bandwidth necessary.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to iansltx

Anon

to iansltx
Back in 1998 when most of you were drooling over 56Kbps (more 53Kbps! ) and ISDN modems, I had a full 8Mbps from Cablevision in NYC. The web at that time was all simple HTML (think Geocities pages) and the internet was more about AOL/AIM chat than anything else. Obviously NONE of that needed 8Mbps (3Com Sharkfin modem only had a 10Mbps port so 8Mbps was what they sold it as). A lil after that 128-768Kbps DSL started popping up.

Now with some of the logic here of "Why would you need 8Mbps since most servers and thing can't feed you that much" was definitely shown to be silly back then. IF you dared to download a MP3 from Napster and try to browse the web at the sametime on 56K you'd be waiting 2mins for those "simple" HTML TEXT pages to load. You wouldn't even dare do video chat on Yahoo with more than one girl, no matter how slutty her screename was. LOL There were times I had 5 chat windows open vs only being able to do 1, maybe 2.

Saying all that to say, nobody wants to browse CNN.com 100x faster than 30Mbps internet can do. The site wont load faster than it already does but that's not the point of faster internet as it was back in the 56K days. That was playing catch up, now it's about doing MORE, which in a way gets you to finish ALL tasks faster. Even if you don't live in a house with 3 kids and wife that all watch shows online while you are trying to game, It's just being able to do more things at the same time without any of them slowing down. You got a 3.4 Quad Core CPU and 2 10K RPM Raptors sitting IDLE 99.98% of the time because it's waiting for tasks. Feed it more work and that's when efficiency goes up!

50Mbps upload does sound nice but how often do you ever need to upload something so large where you wouldn't ALSO benefit from 300Mbps down? If you are uploading videos because you work from home and need a fat pipe back to the office, i'm sure having a FATTER pipe from the office to get data you need is as or more important.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to 88615298

to 88615298
Not necessarily. The analog channels are on the downstream side of the system. We're talking about the upstream side here. They'd have to move the DS/US split up for analog channel reclamation to make any difference.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to SHoTTa35

to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

That was playing catch up, now it's about doing MORE, which in a way gets you to finish ALL tasks faster. Even if you don't live in a house with 3 kids and wife that all watch shows online while you are trying to game,

4 HD Netflix streams plus online gaming is less than 20 Mbps. Even if you feel you need 100% overhead that 40 Mbps.

88615298 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Not necessarily. The analog channels are on the downstream side of the system. We're talking about the upstream side here. They'd have to move the DS/US split up for analog channel reclamation to make any difference.

and you know they are not planning to do that because.......?
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

And you know that they are planning to do that because.......?

Suddenlink has made similar changes to their network to what Charter has seemed to have done. No US bonding there AFAIK. Upstream bonding is an expensive proposition, since it requires retooling the plant significantly. So you aren't going to see anyone doing it unless competition merits. Does FiOS compete with Charter anywhere?
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

So come December when cable companies no longer have to provide analog service and Charter can then go all digital I assume that should free up the bandwidth necessary.

I thought I read that was put on hold again ?
I think it would make more sense for Charter to offer people "free" analog HD tuners, and then use all the analog bandwidth for other things, but, I doubt they will do this.