spc
uniqs
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to boopin

to boopin

Re: Ultra TV External HDD

said by boopin:

Yeah, there have been previous conversations started on this topic on here and people say "Oh I'm getting one soon, will post how it works, etc. when I get it set up" then they don't. I'm hoping someone chimes in with one that's in working order. I mean, there's a WD 1TB DVR Extender thing for $99 on Amazon that I would have to think will work but I'd rather just be sure.

Does the last post from two days ago qualify?

»New install
boopin
join:2011-08-25
Pickerington, OH

boopin

said by baess:

said by boopin:

Yeah, there have been previous conversations started on this topic on here and people say "Oh I'm getting one soon, will post how it works, etc. when I get it set up" then they don't. I'm hoping someone chimes in with one that's in working order. I mean, there's a WD 1TB DVR Extender thing for $99 on Amazon that I would have to think will work but I'd rather just be sure.

Does the last post from two days ago qualify?

»New install

No... no it does not.

lol... thank you. I searched "external" in the thing above and everything that came up was pretty old/not very helpful.
baess

baess

The poster just got a WD DVR Expander.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/WD- ··· =9958432

I thought that's what you were talking about.
boopin
Pickerington, OH

boopin

I was joking. Hence the "lol thank you" part in the 2nd line.
baess

baess

I only have 30% or so filled on my DVR and I don't think I'll ever be able to watch eveything (75 recordings).

Is the 1TB (or more) needed because you run out of space or is it so you can save the shows for yourself? I didn't think that could even be done with an external drive.
boopin
Pickerington, OH

boopin

The external essentially meshes with all of the storage already there (500GB). So tripling that to 1.5TB means that I can keep more stuff without having to worry about space running out for other people's stuff. 3 games into college football season and I'm sitting at 58% full with 20 or so other recordings on there. All HD. 1 game is 3 1/2 to 4 hours of HD so by the end of the season that'll be over 40 hours of space just for football...lol.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to baess

MVM

to baess
said by baess:

The poster just got a WD DVR Expander.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/WD- ··· =9958432

I thought that's what you were talking about.

This worked very well so far. I have 60+ series recordings, and many kids shows retain 10 episodes more so the adults can try to have variety. The nature of recorded though is kids show get seen many times.
baess

baess to boopin

to boopin
said by boopin:

3 games into college football season and I'm sitting at 58% full with 20 or so other recordings on there. All HD. 1 game is 3 1/2 to 4 hours of HD so by the end of the season that'll be over 40 hours of space just for football...lol.

I won't ever watch a football game live again. College is probably a little better but in Pro with all the commercials and timeouts, penalties, etc. I just fast forward through the whole game and get done in under an hour. Then I erase it.