spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

Pixelation and Freezing has never been resolved

There was a thread about pixelation and freezing that was started probably four months ago. Most posters were in the Chicagoland area. In my eye that problem has never been fully resolved.

My son is watching a DVR'd show from last week and the amount of freezing is ridiculous.

And no it's not the DVR. It's what was being broadcast. Happens live too.

It's not local to me. I am tired of being told that. That is WOW's standard response. Blame the customer's wiring or whatever.

Every single video problem I have ever encountered has been from WOW's end. It's a matter of finding someone who actually cares enough to figure it out. At this point that seems impossible.

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH
I get it on all channels but the local HD is the worst. I'm about to just stop watching tv.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to troubleagain
I still have issues, but I mostly watch Netflix & Amazon Prime these days. Tempted to dump my cable tv, but I don't pay much more for it than it would if I just bought broadband, so in the near term I will keep tv. If they continue to raise prices, as I suspect they will, I will probably drop tv down the line.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
said by clocks11:

I still have issues, but I mostly watch Netflix & Amazon Prime these days. Tempted to dump my cable tv, but I don't pay much more for it than it would if I just bought broadband, so in the near term I will keep tv. If they continue to raise prices, as I suspect they will, I will probably drop tv down the line.

I'm not set up to watch TV that way and with the shows my son likes to watch including PBS and Disney I don't think those services would work anyway.

It is just so frustrating. I've had WOW since they purchased Ameritech in this area and things were always good, of course with the occasional hiccup. But I know all the current problems can be traced back to the digital conversion. When they did that all hell broke loose with their video service. Someone needs to realize there are problems, serious problems.

If things continue the way they are I will do what I never thought I would and switch to the other cable company. The extra $20 (or more) will be painful but at least I won't have to deal with these issues. I know every cable co. has problems but from my exposure to them theirs are nothing like what I have experienced with WOW lately.

corinthos

join:2007-10-09
Mine does it really bad but only on the channels after 100 and the premium channels like HBO and Showtime. I got tired of calling and will probably cancel Showtime after Dexter and keep HBO for GO.

JohnBTCB

join:2012-10-20
Hilliard, OH
reply to troubleagain
The problem continues in the Columbus Ohio area. Very frustrating.

boopin

join:2011-08-25
said by JohnBTCB:

The problem continues in the Columbus Ohio area. Very frustrating.

Was awful during The Walking Dead premiere on Sunday night.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
He in cleveland the walking dead was bad as well.

Puremin0rez

join:2012-02-22
reply to troubleagain
Same here. It's me, my neighbors, etc.

TV has been so piss poor for the last year or so.

Chicagoland area.
Expand your moderator at work

kpossible
Premium
join:2003-09-11
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to troubleagain

Re: Pixelation and Freezing has never been resolved

We have been having standing problems in the Cleveland area for months. Have had many, many techs to the house, with many, many reasons (excuses). These have included, "Occasional digital breakup is the nature of digital cable." Well, our breakup and picture distortion is daily and on all channels and all boxes.

They are nice people, but are not solving our problems at all.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
Hope it gets resolved.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to kpossible
The fact that the problem apparently is system wide is concerning.

Too bad it isn't being addressed...hint...hint.

At some point for many subscribers the dollars saved with WOW won't be enough to compensate for poor quality.

ghgard

@wideopenwest.com
I agree, AMC is one of the worst offenders, but I do notice it on almost all channels. We also get the periodic audio blip. I'm going to call support and see where it goes, I've only had the service two months and if it doesnt improve soon I may have to jump ship. BTW, Im in the Columbus OH area.

JohnBTCB

join:2012-10-20
Hilliard, OH
said by ghgard :

I agree, AMC is one of the worst offenders, but I do notice it on almost all channels. We also get the periodic audio blip. I'm going to call support and see where it goes, I've only had the service two months and if it doesnt improve soon I may have to jump ship. BTW, Im in the Columbus OH area.

Columbus here also and the audio blip or cut out is getting worse by the day. Happens on both on 8642HDC and 4642HDC boxes. I too am thinking of paying the higher prices to get a quality product.

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Now, in the Cleveland area, I was just told that the actual problems come from the content providers, not WOW. They said that what they're "passing along "(for lack of technical terminology) is not their fault. I guess that they have certain stations that are the primary culprits. Does that sound right? I don't know.

ghgard

@wideopenwest.com
Doesnt seem likely, I just came from Time Warner and never noticed these issues and had DirecTV prior to that with no noticeable issues.

pixelsrus

@wideopenwest.com
reply to kpossible
I have pixelation right now in Fairview Park Ohio in the HD 200 -280 channel range.

south1178
Premium
Cleveland, OH
said by pixelsrus :

I have pixelation right now in Fairview Park Ohio in the HD 200 -280 channel range.

You have power? Most of us are still out.

Cable was in and out last night for me. (I'm using a Generator)

pixelsrus

@wideopenwest.com
Yes, I didn't lose power until yesterday morning around 11 for a couple of hours. Thank goodness, that's been it. *fingers crossed*

kpossible
Premium
I see we're very lucky to have power too! So not to be a complainer, but still having the pixelation most channels. Not all of the time, but I see it every single day on some channel or another.

pixelsrus

@wideopenwest.com
reply to troubleagain
Well, I have a tech coming this week and it's a good thing too. Last night was okay for watching tv, just a couple blips with the pic here and there. This morning I was just watching Hallmark HD while making breakfast and the picture was blocks, blocks and more blocks. I finally had to turn it off. Yuck.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
Knock wood things have been pretty good lately. But admittedly we probably watch the same 5-10 channels.

But yesterday the last 10 minutes of Jeopardy were unwatchable due to pixelation. Worst I've ever seen.

I guess in the grand scheme when you look at what many people are going through because of the storm and other "real" problems a bad TV picture isn't that big a deal.

My only hope is that WOW or any provider believes their customers when they tell them about problems and do their best to solve them.

pixelsrus

@wideopenwest.com
Trouble

I'm with you when you say that there are bigger problems in the US right now. I believe that's a good and right way to feel.

I don't think that it means that I, or anyone else, shouldn't get what we are paying (in some cases handsomely) for.

When I made my appt, the rep told me that they weren't aware of any similar problems in my area. Now if that means they don't believe their customers, kinda sounds like maybe they have blinders on when it comes to this issue, there's nothing anybody can do. We're at their mercy. Maybe the lion's share of customers just sort of put up with it. If they don't call in, then WOW has good reason not to really apply themselves to fixing the problem. Strength in numbers.

We may be outta luck. I hope not.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
reply to troubleagain
Animal Planet HD (channel 226 I believe it is in Cleveland) was terrible today... the picture constantly froze every 2-3 seconds on all 3 TV's in my house... no problems on any of the other channels.

pixelsrus

@wideopenwest.com
I tuned in to 226 is terrible in Fairview too!!! Sometimes stuttering pic, sometimes no audio. Anyone able to film it?

OhioGirl

join:2012-11-03
Westlake, OH

2 edits
reply to slyphoxj
I was able to get a good video of it, for whatever good that does.

-edited for content-

OhioGirl

join:2012-11-03
Westlake, OH

1 edit
reply to slyphoxj
said by slyphoxj:

Animal Planet HD (channel 226 I believe it is in Cleveland) was terrible today... the picture constantly froze every 2-3 seconds on all 3 TV's in my house... no problems on any of the other channels.

»youtu.be/0m4N3ogOnuw

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
said by OhioGirl:

said by slyphoxj:

»youtu.be/0m4N3ogOnuw

Exactly the issue I was experiencing!! Thanks for posting this!

south1178
Premium
Cleveland, OH
reply to troubleagain
It happens almost every day on lots of channels. I doubt there will be an end to this anytime soon. If you call in, they say it's normal or it's not them.