timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast

[help] How to deal with billing after cancellation?

I cancelled my 1&1 webhosting contract before the renewal date. I received a cancellation verification by email and I verified the status on their website.

Now, the renewal date has arrived and they have sent me an invoice for the renewal. I have heard that this is common with this provider and that they put collection agencies onto the users when they don't pay up.

I made sure to follow their cancellation procedures to the letter. This is complete nonsense, but I must defend myself. What is the best way?

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

Carefully check whether you've really cancelled everything. You could have canceled the hosting, but still have domains registered with them. If you're sure everything is cancelled, give them a call. If you've got everything documented, you'll get their agent to sort things out at their end. It's a bit of a slog, but in their reality, the German origins of 1and1 tend to lean towards wanting everything followed exactly to procedure. Any deviation is severely punished
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast

Thanks. Yes, I went through their procedures for cancelling "the entire contract" and the verification page on their site says that is what I did. But yes, I will be on the phone with them tomorrow.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to timcuth

The news seems to be good. I spoke with 1&1 Billing, then Cancellations, then Billing again, then Cancellations again. The last young man I talked to did an immediate cancellation of my contract and backed out the charges of yesterday.

I hope that is the end of it. If it is, then I say he gave me excellent service.

Tim
--
~ Project Hope ~

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to timcuth

Oh, one more note. He asked me why I wanted to cancel. I told him the whole truth, that I really have no need for a web domain and hosting. He asked if I had had any problems with their service, and again I answered truthfully that, no, I had had no troubles and their service had worked well for me.

Tim
--
~ Project Hope ~