spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cinco

join:2012-09-19

CenturyLink isn't providing the service you're paying for

I, and many others, pay CenturyLink for service with a capacity of 1.73TB per month (59GB per day, 2.46GB per hour, or, not rounded down, 7.2 megabits per second. Which ever you would prefer) but only receive a maximum of 250GB per month (or 648 kilobits per second, average). For all others with this particular plan or any other above the minimum capacity mentioned, be aware that you're not receiving the service you pay for. Personally, I receive only 14.1% of the service I pay for and consequently will be filing complaints with the BBB and the state Attorney General. I urge others to do the same. With enough complaints it's possible that companies like this might stop cheating their customers.

And remember, your internet connection isn't measured in speed, it's measured in bytes divided by time (data capacity). Speed is distance divided by time and I've yet to see a ruler which measures bytes. I put this out there because CenturyLink customer support doesn't seem to understand the concept.

False

@qwest.net

Where did you get that idea from? if you did use 1.73 TB per month Centurylink would have a talk with you.

Internet speeds has always been sold as up to 1.5, 3.0, 6.0 all the way up to 10 megabits per second.

colorbars

join:2003-03-20
USA
reply to cinco

quote:
And remember, your internet connection isn't measured in speed, it's measured in bytes divided by time (data capacity). Speed is distance divided by time and I've yet to see a ruler which measures bytes. I put this out there because CenturyLink customer support doesn't seem to understand the concept.
They don't understand the concept because it's wrong.

Forgetting for the moment that there's no guarantee of speed at all, the way DSL is set up assumes that everyone is not trying to max out their connection at the same time. Old-fashioned analog telephone service was exactly the same way. There weren't enough dialtones to service every customer all the time. If everyone tried to pick up their phone at the same time, not everyone would get a dialtone. Ditto for cell phones.

cinco

reply to False

Yep, and just like I said up there, 7.2Mbps is equal to 1.73TB/month. The math is easy, do it yourself. Why would they have a talk with someone for using the connection they're paying for?

cinco

reply to colorbars

No, they don't understand the concept for the same reason you don't. »DSL FAQ »Latency versus Bandwidth - What is it?
Read more.

What you're trying to say is that there's no guarantee of capacity, and there isn't. But I connect at the full bandwidth I'm paying for and should therefore GET that capacity. If the issue is that they're selling their customers something their own networks cannot provide they should probably rethink their hardware systems or sales practices. The phone companies did have problems with that, but largely solved the problem. Selling people capacity you can't deliver isn't a valid excuse and I'm sure that a large ISP can solve such a problem as well. But, as the bottom line, just as with old phone systems customers aren't getting what they're paying for.

Locomotion

join:2012-08-22
Minneapolis, MN
reply to cinco

More important than the max capacity is the amount and number of time you get link failures. During link failures there is zero capacity. even if it is only for 30 seconds you lose the voip phone call you may be on or if you bidding an online auction and your link drops just when your trying to snype a bid it is no service when most needed. When DSL is down you can't call 911 on a voip phone service and boy that is when you need it. And calling for service doesn't help. They always say it's in my house wire. I know that is not true because a Century Link came out and installed a new modem/router and he approved my hook up. I have only 1.5 feet of wire between the block where the line comes in from outside and the dedicated DSL Jack. No phones, faxes, filters or any device hooked up except the DSL modem. I had 18 hours of failure free link service and then 10 link failures this morning. This can be checked by logging into your modem and look at the DSL status log.
O well, I moving this fall and going back to Comcast.

bctrainers

join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS
reply to cinco

Is you seriously use 1.73TB of data within a month, over a years worth of a 3000GB cap (250GB/mo cap * 12Months), you should be on a SLA/Business agreement.

colorbars

join:2003-03-20
USA
reply to cinco

I'm fully aware of the difference between latency and bandwidth. That's irrelevant to the discussion. No internet company is going to be able to handle everyone maxing out their connection at the same time. Never have, never will. It's not feasible. But go ahead and complain to the regulators. I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

CLuserinCO

@qwest.net

Sigh. The OP apparently believes he should get the equivalent of about 5 T1's of capacity to himself. That would cost somewhere between $1K and $1.5K a month, instead of the roughly $50 that he is paying.

mooch
No Booing Allowed

join:2001-11-11
Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to cinco

said by cinco:

I, and many others, pay CenturyLink for service with a capacity of 1.73TB per month (59GB per day, 2.46GB per hour, or, not rounded down, 7.2 megabits per second. Which ever you would prefer) but only receive a maximum of 250GB per month (or 648 kilobits per second, average). For all others with this particular plan or any other above the minimum capacity mentioned, be aware that you're not receiving the service you pay for. Personally, I receive only 14.1% of the service I pay for and consequently will be filing complaints with the BBB and the state Attorney General. I urge others to do the same. With enough complaints it's possible that companies like this might stop cheating their customers.

This is the silliest "complaint" I've ever read on this board!

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to cinco

If you're going to complain about not being able to max out your line 24/7 downloading whatever, you might as well complain for residential users of cable internet & satellite internet.