IIgs
Premium Member
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

IIgs to do OR dont

Premium Member

to do OR dont

Re: Bell sabotage: NO TELEPHONE FOR 3+ DAYS! (Internet 13+ days)

said by do OR dont :

If I am not mistaken, this is an essential service with the CRTC. So you can file a complaint with the CRTC right now. And you should. Or you can just write in an obscure forum. I do believe, and this is going back a few years from when it happened to me, Bell has 48-hrs to fix it and no more (might be 24, but I seem to recall 48). You are well past this.

So it do or don't. Up to you to file the complaint.

Well, I phoned up the CRTC this afternoon to file a complaint. The woman I spoke with said it's no longer their job to receive complains, going as far as saying they do NOT deal with the public (other than to provide general information; the same information that is found on their website). They are there for corporations only.

Instead she referred me to the CCTS (Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services) and said deal with them. When I asked what they do, it's just to settle disputes, such as billing issues. Little else. Great.

I then asked if Bell will be automatically fined by the CRTC for disconnecting an essential service for over 48 hours (on a cause of human error and incompetence no less!). Nope. Nothing. Nada. The CRTC does not fine Bell for cases like this any longer. Wonderful. Maybe they send them a gift basket instead?

Oh, and to add to this story, last week I phoned Bell's Loyalty department to complain. The agent did not seem to care or did not understand WHY I am calling her to complain, when after all, the phone line had been since restored. So asked to speak to a manager, first one could not speak any English--only French (after I explained the whole story in detail!), so passed me on to a second manager. This one treated me in an extremely rude manner, gave the most empty and sarcastic apology I think I've heard, and then had the nerve to say "This is not Bell's fault, these things happen" and I should be happy because I will be credited for the days out of service (and I should not be complaining anyway, because already have a promotional price for my phone service). I told her at this point I just want acknowledgement that this was Bell's fault, and an assurance this will not happen again. Or at least respectable customer service, something I did not get from this manager (and I spoke professionally and amicably all this time).

Did eventually get my phone and Internet restored, but it took 12 days for DSL and 3 days for phone. Bottomline it seems, Bell can do whatever the hell they please, and the CRTC just pats them on the back!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by IIgs:

Did eventually get my phone and Internet restored, but it took 12 days for DSL and 3 days for phone. Bottomline it seems, Bell can do whatever the hell they please, and the CRTC just pats them on the back!

If Bell won't do anything and the CRTC admitted that they won't do anything either, it's time to get a hold of your MP and have them contact the CRTC on your behalf.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

if your phone doesn't work, how did u pick up the PHONE to call and complain?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Pauly:

if your phone doesn't work, how did u pick up the PHONE to call and complain?

... because it works now?

do OR dont
@videotron.ca

do OR dont to IIgs

Anon

to IIgs

CRTC Sez So
Click for full size
2nd screenshot
I looked over the CRTC website. It has indeed changed since this last occurred to me. Back then the CCTS didn't exist, however, the CRTC does indeed step in with phone issues. Now they step in only if you are in a regulated area or unregulated area. Or if you are disconnected for nothing and need a fix ASAP.

See screen capture.

Now the thing is, how the hell do people know if they are in a regulated or unregulated area? What determines that?

In addition to this, it very clearly states the CRTC will step in with phone issues in emergency situations. A house with no 911 access, that you are indeed paying for BTW, seems to fit this bill.

So they could have done something, but the CRTC blew you off.

I would be pissed if I was in your shoes.

1) Bell blew you off
2) The CRTC Blew you off
3) That left you with the CCTS who will take a month to even look at your complaint. Meanwhile, what if you needed 911 like I did?

Then you have Bell advertizing bullshit like that second screen capture that is a lie.

I feel for you man. Mainly cuz i've been there. But for me it lasted more than a month.

I wouldn't let this go. I would put a complaint in writing to:

1) The CRTC asking them to explain themselves
2) Give the bullshit marketing stuff (2nd screenshot) to ad standards Canada and the CRTC
3) Contact The tech guy at the Montreal Gazette with all the above so it gets some time and he maybe gets some answers.

It really is a major run around for the average person. And many don't know about calling the CRTC or the CCTS. And how exactly do they find this info out with all communications cut-off?

I would make an issue of it. Hope you do.

I am guessing that you are in what they call an "unregulated" area. But still, in an emergency, the CRTC should have stepped in. Wish you would have called the CCTS right after to see what they would have said.

You aren't the first, and you aren't the one with the worst, and you won't be the last. Only thing you are to Bell and your current provider is "a statistical outlier". You aren't even a human being. Sad, eh?
do OR dont

do OR dont to IIgs

Anon

to IIgs
said by IIgs:

Well, I phoned up the CRTC this afternoon to file a complaint. The woman I spoke with said it's no longer their job to receive complains, going as far as saying they do NOT deal with the public (other than to provide general information; the same information that is found on their website). They are there for corporations only.

Forgot to add,
If you do write a letter of complaint about the terrible CRTC service and situation that happened to you, be sure to include what they stated to you (what you captured in your post, above) and toss it back in their face and show them their webpage says something else (as shown in the screenshot I provided).

Don't let them off the hook.

Also... do contact the Montreal Gazette tech guy with the story At least maybe this way others will be aware when it happens to them.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to do OR dont

Premium Member

to do OR dont
said by do OR dont :

Now the thing is, how the hell do people know if they are in a regulated or unregulated area? What determines that?

Your phone bill should tell you if you have a regulated telephone rate, meaning you're in a regulated rate centre.

For what it's worth, regulated rate centres are generally smallerish towns. I live in a regulated rate centre, but Niagara Falls and St. Catharines are unregulated, being that NF and St. Cats combined are over 210,000 people.

I believe the CRTC has a published list of unregulated rate centres in Ontario and Quebec, but off the top of my head I can't think of where it is.

Edit: here's the list: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publi ··· list.htm. Apparently Fort Erie is unregulated, yet I've got bills saying it's regulated. Hmm.

Edit2: Ah, regulated for business, not residential. Makes sense.

do OR dont
@videotron.ca

do OR dont

Anon

And the average Jon/Jane public would know this?

IIgs has been around a few year and it even took him for a loop.

See nothing wrong here?

Nothing wrong with even the CRTC's website that supposedly offers help to the public?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

When I went through the CRTC's document on telephone service complaint resolution, they provided a link to determine if you're in a regulated rate centre or not. It wasn't hard to find.

Not saying the CRTC is without fault in this, but the ability to determine whether you're in a regulated market or not was easily locatable on their website.