spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MEeastern_ca (banned)
join:2012-01-12
Brampton, ON

MEeastern_ca (banned)

Pathway Voice cool product

I am evaluating their Voice Cool product (VOIP). I was surprised to find the Linksys adapter they sent to me is not administratively locked. Does any one have any experience with their VOIP product?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

No.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to MEeastern_ca

Premium Member

to MEeastern_ca

Link to their website ?
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

fparker to MEeastern_ca

to MEeastern_ca
»voicecool.ca/chooseyourplan.php

No experience with them but prices are certainly un-competitive.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Prices are nuts!

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to fparker

to fparker
Indeed. If ya can't even match Vonage's prices, why even bother...???

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Prices are nuts!

No shit. I can prepay a year ahead to get unlimited North American VoIP that works out to $10/month.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to MEeastern_ca

Premium Member

to MEeastern_ca
I used to work down the street from Pathway Communications in Markham but never looked at any of their services for more than a minute.
MEeastern_ca (banned)
Brampton, ON

MEeastern_ca (banned)

As anyone ever received a Linksys adapter from a provider that was unlocked?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MEeastern_ca

MVM

to MEeastern_ca
Yes.

Also, you can buy them unlocked. From a store. And use them with any provider.
MEeastern_ca (banned)
Brampton, ON

MEeastern_ca (banned) to creed3020

to creed3020
Pathway sent me a Linksys adapter for their voice cool product that was unlocked. I am awaiting a response from Pathway as to whether this is an error. When i spoke to there staff Shawn he informed me that it was for monitoring but did not elaborate.
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur

Does it matter if it came unlocked? That seems like a bonus to me, more control over the device.

As for "it was for monitoring" thats one of 3 things

1) A rep who either doesn't understand the question, doesn't know why it would be locked / not locked.
2) You misinterpretting what the rep was saying
3) A rep just trying to get off the phone.

Though I suppose there might be some monitoring that could be done by leaving the device unlocked I'm at a loss to what it is.

When it comes down to it... does it matter? if the device works... does it matter?
Ped_Man
join:2004-03-27
Richmond Hill, ON

Ped_Man to MEeastern_ca

to MEeastern_ca
Click for full size
Do you know the model # of that Linksys VoIP adapter? Normally when a device is locked it should say "Locked" or something similar under the "Customization" field.
MEeastern_ca (banned)
Brampton, ON

MEeastern_ca (banned)

Click for full size
Enclosed is a screen capture of Pathway voice cool Linksys spa-2102 adapter they sent me which is unlocked. The enclosed picture is what was sent to my home from Pathway. Pathway response via Email is that it is secure. Note the customization field.
MEeastern_ca

MEeastern_ca (banned)

Pathway sell and provides a product like VOIP and balur think it doesn't matter if they know anything about the product?

Pathway confirmed that the Linkshys adapter should be locked so I am waiting to find out why they sent me a unlocked adapter. I placed the request on Oct-25-32012 and they have not responded to date Nov-9-2012.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by MEeastern_ca:

I placed the request on Oct-25-32012 and they have not responded to date Nov-9-2012.

Why would you want a locked adapter? An unlocked adapter is open to be reconfigured by YOU to use with ANY provider you want. A locked adapter is simply that - the configuration is locked so that you cannot use it with any provider other than the one it is locked to.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to MEeastern_ca

Premium Member

to MEeastern_ca
Do yourself a favour. Finish your evaluation and go elsewhere. You can get much cheaper and probably just as good quality elsewhere. Since unlocked devices get you excited you might as well get your own and go with one of the $3 - $10 a month DIY voip options.
balur
join:2010-04-28

1 edit

balur to MEeastern_ca

to MEeastern_ca
I don't think locked means what it thinks it means. You seem to think locked means secure. Actually locked means you can only use with one provider.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by balur:

I don't think locked means what it thinks it means. You seam to think locked means secure. Actually locked means you can only use with one provider.

I think you're correct. Its just like a cellphone - if it is LOCKED to one provider, you can only use it with the provider it is locked to. If it is UNLOCKED, you can use it with any provider you want, as long as it is technically compatible.

He's confusing locked/unlocked with secure/un-secure.