how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to Insight6

Re: [Snow] Fox News Video issues with Mac

Upgraded to the new beta version of flash. No change. Search of Internet shows years of problems with flash and Macs. Fox is a common complaint but there are many about all sites using flash.

I remember when IE 7 came out. Fox videos wouldn't play. Just Fox. Rolled back to IE6. A month or so later somebody somewhere in the pipe straighten it out.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by Insight6:

Upgraded to the new beta version of flash. No change. Search of Internet shows years of problems with flash and Macs. Fox is a common complaint but there are many about all sites using flash.

I remember when IE 7 came out. Fox videos wouldn't play. Just Fox. Rolled back to IE6. A month or so later somebody somewhere in the pipe straighten it out.

That's great, but my mac mini with far worse hardware than yours runs FOX flash video fine. So do others. Your mac is having some software issue. I don't know what it is, but it's not "FOX | Flash doesn't work on Macs..."
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

tommy3rd
I Am Nuckin Futs
Premium
join:2000-03-10
Clifton, NJ
reply to Insight6

create a new user account, and see if it works from there. if that doesn't work, copy all internet plugins from the Library>internet plugins to the users>username>library>internet plugins or vice-versa... whichever folder is more complete.

Insight6

1 edit

said by tommy3rd:

create a new user account, and see if it works from there. if that doesn't work, copy all internet plugins from the Library>internet plugins to the users>username>library>internet plugins or vice-versa... whichever folder is more complete.

Tommy, I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Not a fucking clue. LOL. You probably and understandably missed the part where essentially I explained that I know Windows pretty well having used all MS OS since 3.1 up through Windows 7, the latter being far and away their best OS.

The Mac was gift to me about one and one half year ago. To this day I haven't read one word about the ins and out how to info on OS X. I've simply learned by just doing. Hence my ignorance and lack of understanding about your advice.

JohnInSJ has been one several people who have really tried to help this situation. He thinks because his mini runs Fox Videos OK it HAS to be a software problem on my Mac. It might very well be right. Right or wrong his input is appreciated but simply for the sake of discussion in general OS X when compared to Windows has a GROUP have had a much higher and well documented problem with Flash going back to at least 2007. Technical articles have been written on it with proposed "fixes." The fact that one computer, regardless of OS, works fine with some issue or non-issue while one of its peers has a problem is not indicative that all computers with that OS will or will not have a problem.

A friend of mine has a new relative new iMac with either Lion or ML on it. He has EXACT same problem I do. So its just the luck of the computer draw. My computer is the same as when I got it. the problem spontaneously started just two weeks ago.

I'm sticking to my guns in predicting that the problem will spontaneously clear up in the near future. If it does I will post that here or if a reason is discovered for the problem that is particular to a problem on my computer and it is identified I too will post it here.

Cheers!

ADDENDUM: I should note that Flash has a history of not only having problems with Macs but also regardless of OS with different versions of browsers throughout the years and in their involvement. In fact Flash seems to be a bit of ADHD software child.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

Actually, I have several Macs that run flash on fox ok, that one is the lowest class of hardware

Tommy has asked you to create a new user account for you Mac:

»www.dummies.com/how-to/content/a···s-x.html

Now log in as that user (When logging out be sure to make note of the user name you are currently logged in as, so you can log back in as that user when you are done

»www.ehow.com/how_2056447_switch-···ger.html

Now, try streaming video from Fox.

This will eliminate any odd settings that may be associated with your current/default user.

When you're done, switch back to your default user.
--

Insight6

OK I successfully executed and tried what was suggested. As I strongly suspected there was no effect on the Fox News streaming video player.

It is well documented that over the past six years at least Fox News has had periodical problems with its videos playing on some Macs irregardless and unrelated to the model. It is also a documented fact that they have had problems with certain versions of IE in Windows and other Windows issues at periodic times.

The specific documented problems have all ways gone away over time. I believe that in my case they too will clear up in the foreseeable future--and spontaneously too without explanation.

The fact that on any model of computer or browser on a specific given machine regardless of OS that a certain function, feature, program, video, and so on works on one machine but has problems with another in theory same model machine is often of no functional relevant applicability.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

I don't subscribe to the "some machines are just cursed" model of computing, but if it works for you

There is something wrong, and it is specific to your machine - we just can't figure it out. Hope it gets better for you!
--

Insight6

How much you want to bet the problem if it doesn't spontaneously resolve itself it goes away when I finally get my rear end in gear and my money together and upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Michael100

@209.140.206.x

I had the exact same problem and found that if I cleared the browsing history in all three browsers it fixed the problem.

Insight6

No effect.

Insight6

3 edits

OK, my case has been proven. The current Fox News Website and its current setup doesn't play nice with some Macs. Thats a fact. F-A-C-T as in documented as certain times during the past five years and in some cases with IE in Windows in years past.

I just played an archival Fox News Video from the O'Reilly show taped and shown in May 2011 is plays perfectly.***

As mentioned before I would expect the problem to spontaneously clear up as Fox gets their act together. Also, I plan on upgrading to ML soon so perhaps that will affect the situation.

Without going into details, in viewing the current fox news problems I detect signs that SUGGEST that the problem lies in buffering.

***And the explanation for this circumstance is? Ha! I wasn't expecting a come back or explanation for this circumstance.

The problem is clearly Fox as it has been so many times in the past with their video player.

Insight6

said by Insight6:

I just played an archival Fox News Video from the O'Reilly show taped and shown in May 2011 AND it plays perfectly!

As mentioned before I would expect the problem to spontaneously clear up as Fox gets their act together. Also, I plan on upgrading to ML soon so perhaps that will affect the situation.

Without going into details, in viewing the current fox news problems I detect signs that SUGGEST that the problem lies in buffering.

Will dang, I thought the above would have produced a solution or verifiable answer to the problem by the many, and I really do mean the many, that know a lot more about computer than I do!