Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia

Re: Still WAY behind Verizon

HSPA+'s a joke, in WV.

Here in WV (yeah, yeah, one of the worst-connected states in the nation), I had a 3G phone (Nexus One) and the speeds were anywhere from 1-2Mbits on a good day.

On a bad day, it was less than 1Mbits; frequently less than 256Kbits.

I now have a HSPA+-capable phone (GSM Galaxy Nexus) and although I now mainly see my phone on the HSPAP network (as opposed to 3G which I saw was HSPDA) the speeds are no better (still the same).

This is on AT&T, which is the only carrier that covers my area of WV (reliably). The other options don't seem to exist around here in any meaningful capacity.

I am in agreement with the people who say HSPA+ isn't really 4G (wherever they are).

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller

HSDPA+ is going to get a LOT better when all of these turds with iPhone5s get off of it and the dolts that still have 3G can't hit the extra speeds. HSDPA+ will be thw sweet spot for those of us on Straight Talk who can't get LTE. I'm already noticing improvements as people migrate to the ridiculously expensive LTE networks.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

Yeah, I see much improvement today from yesterday, when on the HSPA+ network (though it's AT&T and not Straight Talk who I'm with).

Yesterday the speeds were awful (200Kbits or less both ways) and the AnyConnect VPN connection couldn't be used that day (so no email, since the servers aren't available publicly).

Today though, I'm seeing 1.3Mbits on the downlink, but the uplink is still awful (less than 512Kbits). My phone supports HSPA+ 21Mbits so I suppose the speeds will get better over time as people get onto the LTE network - given that all these connections are shared mediums.

Now my phone doesn't seem to support the 'phone' APN (the 'server' if you will that your phone links with to access services like voice and data), only the 'wap.cingular' one, even though I've got the right plan so I don't know if something's up there or not.

I suppose I'd see better speeds if I were able to use the 'phone' APN, but when I use my AnyConnect VPN the speeds pickup somewhat, I suppose because the Internet connection at my university is dozens of times faster than my 3G/4G mobile data connection.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I see 5-20 megabits down with AT&T HSPA+ with decent signal(3 bars or more) and 1.2 megabits up(seems like they capped it this year to that because it's consistent, used to get 3-5 up until they capped it). My guess is the upstream cap is to alleviate congestion, but I am very happy with my speeds. I still tend to see 2-3 megabits down on 1-2 bars and 0.5-1 up.
« Yay
This is a sub-selection from Still WAY behind Verizon