Premium Member
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY

LLStarks to FiosFan

Premium Member

to FiosFan

Re: Cartoon Network HD

Why no IPTV-to-the-set-top yet?

It's been 10 years and most TV providers are still dreaming about it like a far-off concept.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

said by LLStarks:

Why no IPTV-to-the-set-top yet?

It's been 10 years and most TV providers are still dreaming about it like a far-off concept.

Because most last-mile networks don't have the capacity for it. And it isn't all that efficient.

The biggest IPTV implementation, AT&T U-verse, restricts customers to a maximum of 4 simultaneous streams, of which up to 2 may be in HD. Not good for a family of four who all want to watch and record different things.

Verizon's IPTV implementation, used for VOD, suffers from similar issues.

webcobbler
@verizon.net

webcobbler to LLStarks

Anon

to LLStarks
IPTV STBs were just announced by Motorola about a month ago.

This, to me, confirms that what VZ said last year about their smaller STBs that would be wired and wireless, as well as the Main Media Server, that would be the main focal point of the home by transmitting all the channels etc through your home to "every screen." In those 2 videos that were on their Website last Winter.

Possibly VZ was waiting on Motorola for this to happen. So a "Late 2012" launch could happen, as they said. But this is just MHO.

Like the Hybrid QIPxxxx STBs out now, I believe that these new IPTV STBs are called : VIPxxxx

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by webcobbler :

This, to me, confirms that what VZ said last year about their smaller STBs that would be wired and wireless, as well as the Main Media Server, that would be the main focal point of the home by transmitting all the channels etc through your home to "every screen." In those 2 videos that were on their Website last Winter.

Possibly VZ was waiting on Motorola for this to happen. So a "Late 2012" launch could happen, as they said. But this is just MHO.

Like the Hybrid QIPxxxx STBs out now, I believe that these new IPTV STBs are called : VIPxxxx

said by webcobbler :

motorola has had the VIP boxes for a while now which uverse has used since the beginning. Verizon uses the QIP which is already got IP capabilities along with QAM. The VIP boxes do not work with Cable QAM/IP hybrid system.

webcobbler
@verizon.net

webcobbler

Anon

I never said that they did. Do not put words in my mouth.

Reread the post. It is very clear to understand what I was saying.